• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

FStop7

Banned
8-4 talked a bit about DQ builders and made it sounds very fun. I don't think I've heard anything other than optimistic/positive impressions.

oti

Banned
SFV has hottest mess on a lock. Absolutely nothing can top it spreading actual malware.

Most Disappointing is the only wildcare. There are so many contenders.

Vice or Giant Bomb. I'm leaning on the former.

Hottest mess to SFV, Most disappointing either to NMS or VR in general. That's the right thing to do but somehow SFV will win most disappointing. Because reasons.

robotrock

Banned
Hottest mess to SFV, Most disappointing either to NMS or VR in general. That's the right thing to do but somehow SFV will win most disappointing. Because reasons.

NMS won't be Giant Bomb's most disappointing. Most of them had their expectations set accordingly before release. It'll probably be SFV (the right choice).

oti

Banned
NMS won't be Giant Bomb's most disappointing. Most of them had their expectations set accordingly before release. It'll probably be SFV (the right choice).

Bruh, after everything that happened NMS MUST win Most Disappointing. VR is just there as a cute choice. But SFV? Nein. That game is the best 2D fighter EVER. You can't tell me the lack of a stupid story mode nobody cares about after finishing it once or the lack of an Arcade Mode was enough for it to be most disappointing. That's just nonsense.

oti

Banned
Most disappointing: sfv.

Hottest mess: nms

Simple.

SFV wasn't disappointing enough and NMS wasn't messy enough. For me at least. The trainwreck SFV's development has been is something else. But the most important elements for a fighting game in 2016 were superb.

Johndoey

Banned
SFV will at least get a (very deserved) mention at the disappointment table, I wouldn't be shocked if it won. Though it depends on the Jason factor.

StoveOven

Banned
SFV wasn't disappointing enough and NMS wasn't messy enough. For me at least. The trainwreck SFV's development has been is something else. But the most important elements for a fighting game in 2016 were superb.

I don't see how No Man's Sky could be messier. From the lack of communication to Shu kinda throwing the developer's under the bus. That whole thing has been a trainwreck

Catvoca

Banned
I'm not sure Vinny felt strongly enough about it for him to bring it up, but Zero Time Dilemma deserves a shout for most disappointing

oti

Banned
I don't see how No Man's Sky could be messier. From the lack of communication to Shu kinda throwing the developer's under the bus. That whole thing has been a trainwreck

Here's the key distinction for me:

NMS is just NMS, it's just a bad game that was over hyped, it's disappointing

SFV is a very good game, which Capcom quite impressively managed to butcher every step of the way. But in its core it's WAAAAAAAAAAY better than NMS and not disappointing. The polish is missing but underneath there's something enjoyable. NMS is just nothing.

That's putting it lightly.

The developers were actively lying about what was in the game. Actively. SF? We knew what SF would have from day 1. Sure it was a mess, but Capcom wasn't overselling it.

StoveOven

Banned

SFV is a very good game, which Capcom quite impressively managed to butcher every step of the way. But in its core it's WAAAAAAAAAAY better than NMS and not disappointing. The polish is missing but underneath there's something enjoyable. NMS is just nothing.

I'm not arguing for Street Fighter to be most disappointing. I'd be fine with No Man's Sky winning both most disappointing and hottest mess. I just really think it should win the latter.

oti

Banned
That's putting it lightly.

The developers were actively lying about what was in the game. Actively. SF? We knew what SF would have from day 1. Sure it was a mess, but Capcom wasn't overselling it.

I'm not arguing for Street Fighter to be most disappointing. I'd be fine with No Man's Sky winning both most disappointing and hottest mess. I just really think it should win the latter.

They should give the award for biggest lies and give it to NMS. Most disappointing just doesn't make sense for SFV.

The malware angle of SFV cannot be discounted.

Officially. Distributed. Rootkit. Like, what?!
I don't understand why people keep saying this. Brad won't accept anything other than #1 for DOOM. He'll swallow the key to the podcast room if he needs to.

But what of Inside?

They should give the award for biggest lies and give it to NMS. Most disappointing just doesn't make sense for SFV.

I mean

What more is there to Street Fighter? It delivered on what it promised, IE a fighting game. It's only disappointing to people who actually cared about arcade mode/story mode which atleast the latter was added into it. And it's pretty solid compared to NMS.

NMS meanwhile has been hyped for years, Brad and Jeff were excited about it since it's unveiling, and through all avenues, it's been a disappointment.

Step Inside and Witness the Doom of Mankind Divided, Overwatch the Gears of War as they enter Infinite Warfare. With Blood & Wine in hand, the Horizon breaks for a Grim Dawn.

I have foreseen this future; so it is written, so it is set in stone. Only dark pacts with even darker gods could possibly diverge things from this most certain timeline.

cilonen

Are they doing a second PSVR stream for all the games that were still embargoed last week?

They've not checked out Rigs or Driveclub although I don't know if there were too many more they didn't take a look at.

Strax

Inside is one of those games people close to Jeff played it before him and called it great/fantastic/excellent and Jeff coming back with "It ain't all thaaaaaaaat" after playing it.

Therefore it has no chance.

oti

Banned
Inside is one of those games people close to Jeff played it before him and called it great/fantastic/excellent and Jeff coming back with "It ain't all thaaaaaaaat" after playing it.

Therefore it has no chance.

And again he's right. I don't know what it is with some games but people will call them amazing and they are just ok. Good, but not as WOOOOOOOOW as some make them out to be. The launch window just gets to them I guess. I could see Inside in the Top 10 though.

Johndoey

Banned
I mean Inside is one of the best games released this year so it'll get on the list, Jeff's apathy will just prevent it from going too high.

pizzacat

Banned
I think Doom being legitimately fantastic is the bigger surprise of the year. The Hitman issue was that the release schedule might've been borked.

But Luckey being in bed with white supremacists is the actual biggest surprise of the year.
Man who created one of the most obsolete things ever wasting money on obsolete thing is not surprising

Top Bottom