• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Tubobutts

Don't forget eating! They should eat more things on camera.
tumblr_nec56n9EQU1qfnp35o2_500.gif

It's a shame Paper Mario is how it is.

Still, I hope it doesn't stop it from getting its Best Looking props, because that might be the most gorgeous and consistent application of a style I've ever seen in a video game.

LiK

It's a shame Paper Mario is how it is.

Still, I hope it doesn't stop it from getting its Best Looking props, because that might be the most gorgeous and consistent application of a style I've ever seen in a video game.

they need to fire the people who designed the gameplay.

Anjin M

• With his Paper Mario review, Dan has now written more reviews than anyone else in 2016.
  • Dan's score dragged 2016 down into a three-way tie for best mean score at 3.58.
  • 2016's review scores breakdown into 5 2's, 5 3's, 9 4's, and 5 5's.
  • Jeff really needs to review another WiiU game. Right now it's his highest rated platform at 5.0. He's in good company with Alex and Patrick, though.
  • If I went to the trouble to toss outlier reviews, Jeff's favorite platform would be the PC.
  • The highest rated platform is the Macintosh.
    (Thank Andy and Ryan.)
  • Again if I toss outliers, the PC becomes the platform with the highest mean rating.
  • They are not on pace to match the number of reviews from last year (33). Of course, November tends to be their most prolific month.
  • I'm looking forward to them actually reviewing a VR game.

Sakwoff

Guys Shadow Warrior 2 is kind of fantastic. It's like a better Borderlands with super satisfying movement & combat. Also looks crazy good.

How did that happen?

He didn't work on Color Splash.

it was those talentless fucks at intelligent systems

Oh shit, I just looked up the producer. It's Tanabe, aka the Federation Force guy. He's really having a season, isn't he?

the decision to move away from RPG mechanics and original characters is directly attributed to Miyamoto

they went in on it in a recent Game Informer Show

Sakwoff

Shadow Warrior 1 was kind of fantastic, so I'm not too surprised

Yeah... in a way.

While it was pretty cool, it did that thing that a lot of modern "throwback" fps do, where it was basically a "enter arena, kill everything, doors open, proceed to next arena" structure. See also: Serious Sam, Painkiller, Rise of the Triad, Hard Reset, even Doom 2016, although the latter varied it up to an extent that I didn't mind too much.

Generally this just makes me go back and play Doom wads.

With 2 they went whole hog in the opposite direction. And it worked. I admire that. :)

UPF was the same old until they decided to watch the pepper spray videos, so if you're tired of the show just skim over to that part.

Yeah... in a way.

While it was pretty cool, it did that thing that a lot of modern "throwback" fps do, where it was basically a "enter arena, kill everything, doors open, proceed to next arena" structure. See also: Serious Sam, Painkiller, Rise of the Triad, Hard Reset, even Doom 2016, although the latter varied it up to an extent that I didn't mind too much.

Generally this just makes me go back and play Doom wads.

With 2 they went whole hog in the opposite direction. And it worked. I admire that. :)

Serious Sam definitely peppers smaller encounters into the mix more often then a lot of those games do. You're generally always on your toes.

jgminto

It should be a sign that there's something wrong with your show when browsing random YouTube videos is more entertaining and structured that the rest of it.

Giant Bomb #25 | Tip Your Drew

Solid VinnyVania this week. Will be sad when the series ends, although Megaman with Alex sounds like it could be equally awesome to watch.

Jezabel

Just started watching metal gear Scanlon for the first time. Up to part 7 on MGS1 and it's so so great.

So excited I've got so much more to watch over the next few weeks

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So thanks to some fucking hackers I now have 20€ store credit for the PSN store. What hot new Vita games should I get for all that money?

Stripping Paper Mario of its RPG-ness actually isn't a terrible idea, in fairness; Colour Splash is never better than when it's an adventure game rather than an RPG. The problem is that they haven't gone all the way with it, leaving terrible vestigial RPG elements behind like the combat system.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is a great game, but the Mario & Luigi games have ALWAYS been better at being RPGs.

Stripping Paper Mario of its RPG-ness actually isn't a terrible idea, in fairness; Colour Splash is never better than when it's an adventure game rather than an RPG. The problem is that they haven't gone all the way with it, leaving terrible vestigial RPG elements behind like the combat system.

The combat isn't something that was "left behind," it was something they actively made shitty with Sticker Star.

The combat isn't something that was "left behind," it was something they actively made shitty with Sticker Star.
It was shitty because they didn't entirely commit to removing the RPG elements, leaving a broken, half-formed combat system rather than going all the way and removing it entirely.

Both Sticker Star and (particularly) Colour Splash would be much improved if the combat was simply cut out entirely and replaced by Super Paper Mario-style jumping on heads.

It was shitty because they didn't entirely commit to removing the RPG elements, leaving a broken, half-formed combat system rather than going all the way and removing it entirely.

Both Sticker Star and (particularly) Colour Splash would be much improved if the combat was simply cut out entirely and replaced by Super Paper Mario-style jumping on heads.

I dunno, I think you could do a lighter version of the turn-based, timing your hits style of combat without necessarily having all of the RPG stats attached to it. You could even keep the stickers as a way to replace the FP "magic" abilities from the first two games instead of it being the entire means of combat.

Zaph

Guys Shadow Warrior 2 is kind of fantastic. It's like a better Borderlands with super satisfying movement & combat. Also looks crazy good.

How did that happen?

It's really damn good. In just over a day, I've played through around half of it - Doom is the only recent shooter that's grabbed me like that (caveat: it's very good, but it's not Doom good).

Curious how much it'll hold me after I finish all the missions and start doing multiplayer/free roam. It's a much more compact game compared to Borderlands, and the guns don't level up (only the mods do), so I'm not getting the same loot lust.

Top Bottom