• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I'm loving my PSVR. Works perfectly for me. Funny thing is, as much fun as I'm having with the games, I'm really being drawn into the 360 VR videos. It's a shame YouTube 360 is not on PSVR just yet. The games I've played are the Eve: Valkyrie demo (it seems shorter than the one I did at Best Buy, but maybe that's just me), the Thumper demo (really neat), the Driveclub VR (I really liked it. I probably did better in that race than any other time I played Driveclub), Batman: Arkaham VR (my brother played this and was floored), and the Until Dawn: Rush of Blood demo (ditto). I also checked out that Invasion! mini-movie, which was a nice cute little movie. The cinematic screen was awesome for me. I pulled up Vudu and the airport scene from Captain America: Civil War and set the screen to the largest size and it almost felt like I was in an IMAX theater (too bad the 3D version is the only one that has the shifting aspect ratio). Overall, I'm very pleased. My brother, who does not follow VR developments (he didn't even know what a Rift or a Vive were) was just floored. If his impressions are any indication of the mass market, PSVR will do well. They just need to demo the thing at more places. Only one Best Buy near me did the demos. And that was the only place near me. No other stores except one other Best Buy and one Gamestop quite a ways away were doing demos.

No, they're Scottish like Danny O'Dwyer or Drippy from Ni No Kuni.
tumblr_mp3cto3I431r9zdybo1_250.gif

I should read posts properly before posting...

Lunar FC

I'm loving my PSVR. Works perfectly for me. Funny thing is, as much fun as I'm having with the games, I'm really being drawn into the 360 VR videos. It's a shame YouTube 360 is not on PSVR just yet. The games I've played are the Eve: Valkyrie demo (it seems shorter than the one I did at Best Buy, but maybe that's just me), the Thumper demo (really neat), the Driveclub VR (I really liked it. I probably did better in that race than any other time I played Driveclub), Batman: Arkaham VR (my brother played this and was floored), and the Until Dawn: Rush of Blood demo (ditto). I also checked out that Invasion! mini-movie, which was a nice cute little movie. The cinematic screen was awesome for me. I pulled up Vudu and the airport scene from Captain America: Civil War and set the screen to the largest size and it almost felt like I was in an IMAX theater (too bad the 3D version is the only one that has the shifting aspect ratio). Overall, I'm very pleased. My brother, who does not follow VR developments (he didn't even know what a Rift or a Vive were) was just floored. If his impressions are any indication of the mass market, PSVR will do well. They just need to demo the thing at more places. Only one Best Buy near me did the demos. And that was the only place near me. No other stores except one other Best Buy and one Gamestop quite a ways away were doing demos.

My brother got one, and I just played with it for about 30 mins. How much light comes in from the bottom for you and does it bother you?

Ashby

I would be perfectly happy with Giant Bomb just turning into H3H3 with one of the guys playing a video game in another window.

SomberOwl

Maaan they need to stop adding shit to the Call of Duty games. It's getting overwhelming, confusing and convoluted. They need to strip it back down to just the basics. MW2 had it perfect in my opinion. It was easy to grasp and still had lots of variety. This new one seems like I'll be spending more time in the menus trying to figure shit out.

Just the controllers or headset tracking too? Seems crazy that that stuff isn't on a system level.

It's mostly the controllers that have a noticeable difference between different games. Headset tracking is generally a bit more consistent, but Job Simulator did have more of the "it thought I was standing in a different area and the world lurched in response" moments than other games I've tried so far. I really don't get what's going on. Like, the Move is never going to come close to the precision of the Vive, but it's still capable of being pretty precise.

you sound jaded, have you tried having fun?

Nah, I'm just a Sony hater like these GB jerks.

Edit: (Still working my way through the PSVR launch day stream) I'd be fascinated to see Dan's reaction to a Miku concert. Part of the thing that finally made the whole Miku thing make sense to me was realizing that the concerts had an actual band playing live music.

My brother got one, and I just played with it for about 30 mins. How much light comes in from the bottom for you and does it bother you?

I played in our basement, where there is no natural light. The light from our ceiling was peeking through at the edges. For the most part, it wasn't all that noticeable, unless you were looking for it. There were times, though, when I was directly under a light, where it was more noticeable (i.e. on the lenses). I also played in darkness, which did not affect the headset in any negative way. It was cool to see my brother play Batman with the blue of the headset and the move controller tops all lit up. If the light bothers you, maybe try and find a dark area.

Thumper in PSVR changes lives.

I liked it too. At first when my brother played the demo he was not feeling it, but once it got more involved, he started really getting into it, even getting annoyed when he messed up. I was also way into the Harmonix Music VR demo. The first part of the demo was eh, but the rest was really fun. The painting bit was a blast, and I loved the dancing part when where you pose the dancers. The fourth part of the demo was flat out trippy. I'll probably buy that at some point, especially as it's only $15.

TraBuch

Banned
Sports Bar VR sounds like something the duders would enjoy. Walk around in a bar with other people and play bar games and talk to each other and when you lose, get pissed and break everything. They should add trivia nights.

I wish Sony sold extra power adapters for the PSVR breakout box. Currently (and will almost by always) the PSVR is in my room. The breakout box is next to my PS4. Every once and a while I bring my PS4 down to the basement, especially when we have people over. In the basement, I have another HDMI cable and another power cord compatible with PS4, that bringing it down is an ease for me, as I don't have to unplug anything from my room and just bring the PS4 (and controllers and camera) down. With the breakout box, I don't have a spare adapter. Unplugging things in my room can be a pain, especially when wires and cables have to go down behind my desk (which is far too heavy to move and far too close to the wall to reach down, plus there are so many wires to navigate past anyways). Does anyone know if a comparable adapter exists that would be compatible with the breakout box? Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Edit- Shoulda just used Google. A quick search using the specs of the AC adapter found me what appears to be compatible adapters. Awesome!

Sports Bar VR sounds like something the duders would enjoy. Walk around in a bar with other people and play bar games and talk to each other and when you lose, get pissed and break everything. They should add trivia nights.

They did enjoy it when it was called Pool Nation VR.

You know, as I make my way through Gears, I'm kind of surprised at where Jeff is choosing to praise the game. I feel like the robot enemies are really boring re-skins of enemies we've been fighting the whole time. I don't really like the wave-based defense mode stuff they throw at you in the campaign. I haven't really made it deep into the other parts of the game yet, so I have yet to see the parts where Jeff says it turns into "regular old gears of war," but at this point I'm kind of looking forward to that.

Maaan they need to stop adding shit to the Call of Duty games. It's getting overwhelming, confusing and convoluted. They need to strip it back down to just the basics. MW2 had it perfect in my opinion. It was easy to grasp and still had lots of variety. This new one seems like I'll be spending more time in the menus trying to figure shit out.

And so, the old game design singularity is itself inhaled by the new game design singularity.

The next installment will be truly insane.

TraBuch

Banned
Wonder what a real Until Dawn sequel would look like. Would people be satisfied if it had the exact same mechanics but a totally different story and genre of horror?

pizzacat

Banned
The Idolmaster background on Jeff's jpn psn account, rofl.

Wound up getting a PSVR. Having the same problems of jittery tracking, world occasionally shifting, etc. Glad the streams set my expectations accordingly. It's still workable, though, and a lot of the tracking issues seem to be weirdly game-specific. I can do perfectly tracked minute movements in Tumble VR without a single problem, but trying to move with the same precision in Job Simulator just doesn't work well.
Infant killer

i want to buy this dumb sweater PayPal me some money you handsome rich man pls

LiK

Wonder what a real Until Dawn sequel would look like. Would people be satisfied if it had the exact same mechanics but a totally different story and genre of horror?

Sure, same mechanics but different cast and story would be fine with me.

Top Bottom