• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

daveo42

Banned
Rez Infinite is already a trip without VR. In VR tho...I feel like my brain would melt on my way to a higher plane of existence.

This is 4th wave ska.

It sounds alot like 4th wave garbage.
It actually sounds alot like 3rd wave ska and the that's what she said joke is both tired and super old.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It sounds alot like 4th wave garbage.
It actually sounds alot like 3rd wave ska and the that's what she said joke is both tired and super old.

Going by the hairstyles of European and Australian bands, they're usually 3 or 4 years behind on that stuff anyways

like there's still British youtubers with emo fringes. in 2016.

Will Giant Bomb ever learn the difference between Australian and English accents?

To be fair wasn't it a british colony/prison center? Same baseline language and mannerisms, and being American you likely don't run into either terribly often without watching TV. Unless you have people with heavy accents like Steve Irwin, it might be hard to tell the difference to an untrained ear.

the decision to move away from RPG mechanics and original characters is directly attributed to Miyamoto

they went in on it in a recent Game Informer Show

Miyamoto ripping the RPG out of Paper Mario is an erroneous message board story that I've seen parroted by the press, like Knack selling more than Super Mario 3D World.

Here's a quote from the Sticker Star Iwata Asks:
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project-"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

So yes, blame him for Toads, I guess, and Sticker Star not having a story (although Color Splash clearly does have a story so I doubt these are eternal mandates etched in stone), but don't blame him for the RPG stuff missing. That's all Intelligent System's fault. From the same Iwata Asks:

Iwata said:
You purposefully threw out the basic RPG structure.

Tanabe said:
Yes. We decided to make it so that players would face stronger opponents by throwing out the whole concept of experience points and levels in favor of gradually gathering stronger stickers.

I had actually been thinking for a long time that I wanted to get rid of the RPG experience points. In the Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland game, which Kudo-san and I worked on together, the player-character didn't develop at all. We adopted a system whereby they solved everything with money.

This time, we decided to do everything with stickers. We decided on a system whereby in battle, instead of attack commands, you fight by using the stickers you have gathered in the field or bought in town.

So most of the ire over Color Splash should really be directed at Tanabe, especially since he's still on the series.

Megasoum

Banned
Mouahahahahaha

5717564678.png

I'm actually payed 3$ less per month to have double the speed I had yesterday...

Zaph

On Danny's latest Patreon Q&A he mentioned Extra Life and said "something is planned for November, but it's not my thing" so he didn't want to go into it...

Probably shouldn't read too much into it.
Totally read into it.

Hm, true, but the britishiness of the US was only a part of the US. There was also all the french and spaniard colonizing too.

Actually that's an interesting point, I wonder why dialects developed like they did.

I'm always interested why it seems like Americans find it harder to differentiate accents from around the world than we in the U.K seem to. I always chalked it up to TV. I know American accents from all the US tv I watch but I assume America doesn't get the same influx of shows coming from outside its borders apart from the big stuff which is usually quite tame with its accents.

Daheza

The issue with giant bomb is that they are constantly playing games and yet not recording / streaming it. Jeff played through all of gears of war 4 and yet the only content is a quick look? Alex is talking about playing Halloween Overwatch but no content.

Don't get me wrong I love the guys, but I just wish the site was less Review oriented and more Video streams.
content content content

The Idolmaster background on Jeff's jpn psn account, rofl.

Wound up getting a PSVR. Having the same problems of jittery tracking, world occasionally shifting, etc. Glad the streams set my expectations accordingly. It's still workable, though, and a lot of the tracking issues seem to be weirdly game-specific. I can do perfectly tracked minute movements in Tumble VR without a single problem, but trying to move with the same precision in Job Simulator just doesn't work well.

Red UFO

The issue with giant bomb is that they are constantly playing games and yet not recording / streaming it. Jeff played through all of gears of war 4 and yet the only content is a quick look? Alex is talking about playing Halloween Overwatch but no content.

Don't get me wrong I love the guys, but I just wish the site was less Review oriented and more Video streams.
content content content
Reviews and timing releasing said reviews as well as video footage along side game releases generates the most traffic, and that's what CBS want to see.

Lunar FC

PSVR is a pain in the ass to set up. Fuck.

content content content

When I think GB, I think reviews.

Zaph

Wound up getting a PSVR. Having the same problems of jittery tracking, world occasionally shifting, etc. Glad the streams set my expectations accordingly. It's still workable, though, and a lot of the tracking issues seem to be weirdly game-specific. I can do perfectly tracked minute movements in Tumble VR without a single problem, but trying to move with the same precision in Job Simulator just doesn't work well.

Just the controllers or headset tracking too? Seems crazy that that stuff isn't on a system level.

Salarians

you sound jaded, have you tried having fun?

Goron2000

best junior ever

content content content

A lot of that is also their spare time. They work in the day and want to relax like anyone else when they get home, just because they are playing games that doesnt mean that they want the added stress of maintaining a stream.

Top Bottom