• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Strax

GSwVXKJ.gif

Snooker champion Ronnie O'Sullivan is testing a pool game in virtual reality 2016

Meguro

Banned
So that Infinite Warfare beta huh?
Ooof. I have not played such a bad shooter since....Ghosts actually.
Terrible, just like UPF.
I'm kidding, mostly

Xater

So that Infinite Warfare beta huh?
Ooof. I have not played such a bad shooter since....Ghosts actually.
Terrible, just like UPF.
I'm kidding, mostly

I played Black Ops 3 and enjoyed it a lot. Infinite Warfare to me looks too similar to that for me to return just a year later. I also don't know about all the crafting bullshit.

Peru

The issue with giant bomb is that they are constantly playing games and yet not recording / streaming it. Jeff played through all of gears of war 4 and yet the only content is a quick look? Alex is talking about playing Halloween Overwatch but no content.

Don't get me wrong I love the guys, but I just wish the site was less Review oriented and more Video streams.
content content content

The site is hardly review oriented and either way they'd have to play through a lot of games to stay on top. Could theoretically stream more of it but there has to be some purpose and quality control.

I would love to see written reviews gone for good from the site though. None of them write particularly well.

Jintor

I like Jeff and Brad's writing, but realistically mostly they write how they talk (except for Dan whose writing I just don't like at all)

Jintor

oh yeah I think Ryan was probably the best of the lot, but it's been ages since I read it.

He could really spin a phrase though

repeater

alex is their best writer
Yeah, I would say Alex and Brad are the ones from the crew where I to a greater extent actively take note of some of the formulations in their own right rather than the content and opinions of the writer. There's nothing wrong with Jeff and Dan's reviews, I enjoy reading them to get their more elaborated written take on a game, but their written style is more functional than anything else.
I read a good short essay on a history book on Drew's blog, I'm sure I'd enjoy his game reviews if he wrote (more of?) them.

Austin was hands down their best reviewer. Ryan had a talent for turn of phrase that I enjoyed (still waiting on that God of War Ascension review, bud)

Austin was hands down their best reviewer. Ryan had a talent for turn of phrase that I enjoyed (still waiting on that God of War Ascension review, bud)

I always thought Austin was a good writer but terrible reviewer. I cant remember which review it was but he spent way too long going off on a tangent that didnt help me decide if I wanted the game in the slightest. It was probably very well written but just not what I want when I read a review.

Jintor

i think austin thinks about almost everything in a critical context and whether that to you qualifies as good review material is kinda up to you. I don't actually look to reviews for consumer information re: buying the thing, so

Meguro

Banned
As someone who is more interested in critical analysis on games rather than consumer advice, Austin is by far the best reviewer and writer that I know of.

Jintor

Dan's writing always strikes me as very, one might say extremely, workmanlike. very a + b = c kind of writing to me. Not a fan.

repeater

Dan's writing always strikes me as very, one might say extremely, workmanlike. very a + b = c kind of writing to me. Not a fan.
He informs about games. When he writes reviews, he's very much what you might call a game informer. There's probably some kind of biographical explanation of why that is.

Tubobutts

I think that's mostly a function of review writing background. He started off reviewing for newspapers and then wrote reviews for a video game magazine. His style is that style.

And then Jeff is a guy who has been writing video game review ass video game reviews for 20+ years.

Jintor

He informs about games. When he writes reviews, he's very much what you might call a game informer. There's probably some kind of biographical explanation of why that is.

I think that's mostly a function of review writing background. He started off reviewing for newspapers and then wrote reviews for a video game magazine. His style is that style.

And then Jeff is a guy who has been writing video game review ass video game reviews for 20+ years.

Well, I haven't read his actual books, so maybe he writes different in them?

Sakwoff

I feel like this style is becoming less and less relevant though. There isn't really a lot you can bring to the table there and if you're really interested in pros and cons you find that shit everywhere. Dan probably did exactly the right thing jumping from a writing-centered gig towards whatever the fuck GB does.

He's much better at this stuff too.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I always thought Austin was a good writer but terrible reviewer. I cant remember which review it was but he spent way too long going off on a tangent that didnt help me decide if I wanted the game in the slightest. It was probably very well written but just not what I want when I read a review.

Yeah, I felt the same. Can't really recall anything Austin wrote that I enjoyed reading to be honest.

Austin rarely writes in a way that reads as traditional buying advice, but after reading something like his Homefront review I felt like I had a better sense of what the experience of that game really was than I would if it had just been the traditional "The controls are clunky. There are 6 mission types and they are kinda boring." type of review.

To be fair they also just changed the Rockstar Games website so that it blasts that logo in your face for ten seconds when you visit, and they posted the image onto their newswire without comment. If it was just an update to their twitter photo I'd give it far less thought

Until we see otherwise, just assume it's a RDR remaster and GTA Online style MP with microtransactions.

Incoming Table Tennis 2 announcement?

Is this the good Duke Nukem?

Yes. It's Duke 3D with better lighting and a few new effects. You could also switch between old graphics to the new one, same goes with Duke's voice.

e: No drifting on the aim from what I played on the Xbox One. Probably it's the controller, I doubt it's because of the PS4 version.

oti

Banned
Watching the AC Unity QL because why not. It's still so baffling to me they though "let'them talk British English" was remotely ok. I guess it was for Americans but to me it's a huge no-go. Played the game in French because of it.

Top Bottom