• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

repeater

I think straight up calling it "2" is weird if it's a prequel.

Why RDR2 and not continue the R line of naming? Maybe they'll do that for the next one.
If it's a prequel, they could have gone for "Red Dead Regression".

So a good game from last gen is getting a sequel? That's cool I guess, I'll play it and enjoy it like the last one.
But Red Dead Redemption is an overrated game.
Not bad. Just not as fantastic as people think.

Meneses

Maybe we won't even play as any of the gang members and we'll just use the character we create for both online and offline.

The fact that this comes out... well, not exactly "soon" but kinda, leads me to believe development must have been at full force for a while now and those leaks from some time ago might actually be true, regarding the heavy multiplayer focus.

robotrock

Banned
The fact that this comes out... well, not exactly "soon" but kinda, leads me to believe development must have been at full force for a while now and those leaks from some time ago might actually be true, regarding the heavy multiplayer focus.

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

they're probably going to push the multiplayer super hard

Johndoey

Banned
Maybe we won't even play as any of the gang members and we'll just use the character we create for both online and offline.

I would be fine if R* copied the Saints Row create a character with set voice and dialogue deal for this.

TraBuch

Banned
Seems like most female outlaws back in the day were at one point prostitutes, think there'd be some uproar if there was a female main character that was a prostitute?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like most female outlaws back in the day were at one point prostitutes, think there'd be some uproar if there was a female main character that was a prostitute?
It's usually about the "how" and not the "what" when it comes to portrayal of women in games. I'm guessing that would be a tale of empowerment anyway, so that's even easier to do well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
There's someone in that announcement thread who said that having a female main character "wouldn't be realistic at all" and i want to die

Ah, the "not realistic" argument. The best argument of them all. Man, those guys must hate like 100% of all videogames.

Catvoca

Banned

It's what I'd expect if they did do a female protaganist. All women in Rockstar games are strippers or prostitues. Like even Michael's wife in GTA V was a stripper.

Johndoey

Banned
That's why I asked if. I'd be curious if Rockstar could handle a prostitute main character well.
If they did that it'd probably end up being glorified set up then glossed over.

Also R* having a game with a woman protag and made her a prostitute that would be a real poor decision.

It's all in the execution(which I doubt R* could handle well). If I remember correctly John Marston's wife was in the gang right? I think I remember something like that.

bjork

I have yet to hear back about my cereal inquiry. I may have to dig deeper if I want to expose the truth to the GB staff and the world.

It's all in the execution(which I doubt R* could handle well). If I remember correctly John Marston's wife was in the gang right? I think I remember something like that.

Yeah but she was also a prostitute.

I would love R* to do something new but I must admit the cries of every game needing female / black / gay characters is a bit tiresome. It's a good cause to get behind but I feel like it gets more focus than anything else these days.

why didn't they ever do anything more with Asuka in GTA, she was rad

I would love R* to do something new but I must admit the cries of every game needing female / black / gay characters is a bit tiresome. It's a good cause to get behind but I feel like it gets more focus than anything else these days.

don't worry rockstar is going to knock all three of those out at once in their new manhunt game and it'll be super tasteful

Johndoey

Banned
We've had sixty years of primarily white male led westerns, fucking do some new shit.
--
Manhunt 2 was the more interesting Manhunt.

TraBuch

Banned
Played the first Manhunt as a 14 year old and it's one of the few times I played something under 18 that I thought "Huh, maybe I shouldn't be playing this."

Zaph

If you're looking for representation, delicate topics, or anything at all really, handled well, Rockstar is the wrong place.

Their entire shtick is taking movies from the '60s to the 90's and turning them into (mostly) fun games. They haven't actually got anything to say.

oti

Banned
It appears to be a prequel of some sort, since that seems to be Dutch's gang and looks like Marston is the one on the left looking away.

They also mention "new online mode" so this will probably follow the GTA V model.

Hope the single player part is substantial.

Wouldn't be surprised if the GTA storyline was just a quest line in GTA Online at some point to be honest.

SomberOwl

Maan I really am not excited for a new Read Dead game and Sleeping Dogs 2 will now never happen. This really is awful news that United Front Games is shutting down.

If there was a game that could have been remarkably improved upon into something spectacular it was Sleeping Dogs.

I know it'll continue to be said a million times today, but I'm so disappointed RDR2 won't be on PC at launch. I really want to be part of the discussion and discovery of that game. Sure, it'll probably come later, but by then the zeitgeist will have moved on.

I know it'll continue to be said a million times today, but I'm so disappointed RDR2 won't be on PC at launch. I really want to be part of the discussion and discovery of that game. Sure, it'll probably come later, but by then the zeitgeist will have moved on.

You can pick up OG PS4 models real cheap right now

oti

Banned

Haven't you bought both VR headsets? Buy s console already!

In other news: Official NX information is just like GB Premium content. It's

Top Bottom