• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

oti

Banned
I may end up getting one. I'd just so much rather play it on a PC for the usual reasons.

I feel you, don't get me wrong. I got heavy into PC when I built my first Gaming PC a year ago. Since getting a 4K TV and my card not being up to snuff (770) though I'm back on consoles mostly.

That and my two-factor authentication being broken because I changed my cell phone number. :( Haven't looked into getting my Steam account back as of yet.

I feel you, don't get me wrong. I got heavy into PC when I built my first Gaming PC a year ago. Since getting a 4K TV and my card not being up to snuff (770) though I'm back on consoles mostly.

That and my two-factor authentication being broken because I changed my cell phone number. :( Haven't looked into getting my Steam account back as of yet.

Oh man, that sucks about your two-factor. How do you even remedy that?

If you're looking for representation, delicate topics, or anything at all really, handled well, Rockstar is the wrong place.

Their entire shtick is taking movies from the '60s to the 90's and turning them into (mostly) fun games. They haven't actually got anything to say.

GTA 4 came close to having something to say. I'll give 'em points for trying there. RDR had some really solid beats too, as well as some stuff that didn't work (Mexico was terrible in every way, story, pacing and missions).

GTA 5 was a garbage fire with sub-South Park tier humor and social commentary. Really wish their writing was on the same level as their craft, can you imagine?

repeater

Rockstar's attempts at edgy social commentary/satire are so trite and predictable they make me want to vote Trump. And I'm a leftist from Sweden.

I want to play as a black cowgirl during the civil war

Thinking about it, this would be cool. She's caught in between the civil war and doesn't want to take part. She wants to escape to Canada and is caught up in the war as she escapes The Good The Bad And The Ugly style. A story that takes us from the Deep South to the far north and how even though the north didn't allow slavery, she was still very much not a free woman due to circumstances of her birth. As she hopes Canada is a better place for her to settle down, it becomes more and more of an idealized dream and hope for a society where can she be treated as equal on part of both her race and sex.

Damn.

Someone make this game.

GTA 4 came close to having something to say. I'll give 'em points for trying there. RDR had some really solid beats too, as well as some stuff that didn't work (Mexico was terrible in every way, story, pacing and missions).

GTA 5 was a garbage fire with sub-South Park tier humor and social commentary. Really wish their writing was on the same level as their craft, can you imagine?

It will never happen while the Houser's are writing.

I'm amazed Rockstar's storytelling is considered a high bar by the industry. How? Why? This is coming from someone who thoroughly enjoys their games as well. That said I really enjoyed the character of Michael in GTAV but then I think back to the nonsensical rant at the end of V they gave the guy in the trunk about America.

Johndoey

Banned
As far as I'm concerned R* has a decent track record as things go, GTAV was a misstep on the commentary front. Even though 80% of it is delivered through in car discussions GTA IV has stuff to say, I'm not saying it's brilliant or unique but it has some substance. Same for Redemption. GTAV was a self righteous mess.

I'm not worried about RDR2 but GTA needs a course correction.

I already mentioned it and it's well known but that torture monologue sums up the issues with V's attempts at social commentary better than anything else.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I know it'll continue to be said a million times today, but I'm so disappointed RDR2 won't be on PC at launch. I really want to be part of the discussion and discovery of that game. Sure, it'll probably come later, but by then the zeitgeist will have moved on.

It will probably mean I just never play it. I have an Xbox but I'm not going to buy it on that and by the time it's out on PC the normal modern Rockstar cycle will have fully taken root so it will have been six months since I heard a single positive thing about the game.

TraBuch

Banned
It will probably mean I just never play it. I have an Xbox but I'm not going to buy it on that; and by the time it's out on PC the normal modern Rockstar cycle will have fully taken root and it will be six months since I heard a single positive thing about the game.
Why have an Xbox if you're not gonna play a game that's on it and not PC.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Why have an Xbox if you're not gonna play a game that's on it and not PC.

Because it came free with my TV and EA access is excuse enough to not sell it. I wouldn't consider for a moment buying any timed exclusives on it. Hell, I am still holding out for Microsoft to kill off the Windows 10 store before I buy any PC/Xbox cross buy titles.

daveo42

Banned
Jeff and I must be the only two people in the world not all that excited by a new RDR game, though for me it's mainly because I never played the last one. One of the more glaring holes in my gaming history that I'm fine with not getting filled.

Jeff and I must be the only two people in the world not all that excited by a new RDR game, though for me it's mainly because I never played the last one. One of the more glaring holes in my gaming history that I'm fine with not getting filled.

it's okay, I only really care about Revolver

LiK

You should play it. Fill that hole.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I kind of hate the game because I had a game breaking bug that wouldn't let me progress to the end, but it was pretty much my favorite game by Rockstar up until that point.

Johndoey

Banned
I think if they move Gta away from the broad commentary on American society and go for something closer to what IV did would be for the best. Like it sure as hell wasn't perfect but the Dwayne/Playboy stuff had something going for it.

I still recall that Jeff disliked RDR because of the horse mechanics.

IT wasn't that bad! lol
That's crazy to me, the horseback riding was so good in RDR.

KingKong

I've never liked riding a horse in any game. they're clunky and awkward and no good when you go off road and are just a little bit faster than sprinting to objectives in a straight line

daveo42

Banned
You should play it. Fill that hole.

At this point, I would need it to come out on PC or PS4 to play it. Don't own an 360/X1 and I'm sure the PS3 version suffered in comparison to the 360 version. If there is a re-release, then I'll consider jumping in, but at this point and time, I'm still good with passing on it.

Top Bottom