• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

FStop7

Banned
Hobbit came first, Tolkien started writing LotR as a sequel to the Hobbit but realized it was taking a more mature direction and adjusted its tone accordingly.

Growing up reading the Hobbit as a kid and then moving on to LotR in high school was so perfect. I didn't know that LotR was a direct continuation featuring many of the same characters. Talk about a pleasant surprise.

Listening to the Bombcast ~2h behind.

I feel like being an insufferable prick right now, so here goes:

Brad, The Hobbit predated LOTR. It's not a prequel, and as such not made to "explain" anything. It's actually the first released thing that takes place in that world.

He was referring to the movies, and the way that they overstuffed them with so many LOTR references/prequel plotlines that weren't in the book

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Listening to the Bombcast ~2h behind.

I feel like being an insufferable prick right now, so here goes:

Brad, The Hobbit predated LOTR. It's not a prequel, and as such not made to "explain" anything. It's actually the first released thing that takes place in that world.

Weren't parts of the Hobbit changed in later editions to align better with what happened in Lord of the Rings? In that way it was a prequel.

Sakwoff

I think he was moreso referring to the movies and the reception to them. Brad is well versed in LOTR lore going by the shadow of mordor QLs.

Yeah. Just was a little weird, because he used them as an example for prequels failing because they're trying to overexplain stuff. Which really isn't the case here, because it's based on even older source material.

Aight, had my dose of being super pedantic on the internet today.

I'm not even that into Tolkien.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Star Wars prequels say some really interesting things about the nature of humanity

Oh I'm sorry. Were we not playing a game where we say the wrongest things possible about film?

Sakwoff

The LOTR movies weirdly don't hold up all that well.

Dunno, some stuff in them dates them pretty hard. Not just the CG. Shit's changed since then.

Loxley

Weren't parts of the Hobbit changed in later editions to align better with what happened in Lord of the Rings? In that way it was a prequel.

Tolkien went back and changed some dialogue regarding the One Ring in the Riddles in the Dark chapter and Gollum's actions during his riddle game with Bilbo, but aside from that there weren't any significant changes to the book as a whole.

In the original 1937 edition of "The Hobbit" Gollum was genuinely willing to bet his ring on the riddle game, the deal being that Bilbo would receive a "present" if he won. Gollum in fact was dismayed when he couldn't keep his promise because the ring was missing. He showed Bilbo the way out as an alternative, and they parted courteously.

As the writing of LotR progressed the nature of the Ring changed. No longer a "convenient magical device", it had become an irresistable power object, and Gollum's behavior now seemed inexplicable, indeed, impossible. In the rough drafts of the "Shadow of the Past" chapter Gandalf was made to perform much squirming in an attempt to make it appear credible, not wholly successfully.

Tolkien resolved the difficulty by re-writing the chapter into its present form, in which Gollum had no intention whatsoever of giving up the Ring but rather would show Bilbo the way out if he lost. Also, Gollum was made far more wretched, as befitted one enslaved and tormented by the Ruling Ring. At the same time, however, Bilbo's claim to the Ring was seriously undercut.

Dunno, some stuff in them dates them pretty hard. Not just the CG. Shit's changed since then.

What is happening in this thread.

oti

Banned

You're wrong. They are better than most modern movies.

I'm just going to wait here for somebody to agree with me..

Wait forever then. Give me all your amiibos first though. Keep your Waluigi one, I'm not into displaying trash.

Sakwoff

What is happening in this thread.

I mean, I still like them. They are just... dunno. Of their time I guess? Which was super strange to me when I rewatched them recently.

For what it's worth, I'm also not really into the blockbusters of today, so eh. Whatever.

This shit looked awful day 1 though:

2Bp6pF2.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Giant bomb still ahead of the curve in terms of having a name that has nothing to do with video games for their video game site .
It does. They wanted to name it after something you find in games, without having "game" in it. I think "red barrel" was another idea!?

Pretty similar to a "waypoint" you might say.

Meneses

I definitely enjoyed the first The Raid more, the second one was a bit too much.

Brad was very likely referring to the movies. I enjoyed the 3 LotR movies, always went to see them at the theater with the same group of friends, good times. The CG was always bad, though. Haven't watched the Hobbit ones and don't really have much interest.

Path of Neo was definitely a great Matrix experience although it's not better than the first movie.

The first Sonic was great.

I think this about covers it.

kuppy

Jesus Christ, Vinny is using Blackmagic Cinema Cameras, way to overdo it, buddy.
I remembered that he uses their production products but had no idea about the cameras.

The first Hobbit movie's lovely, breezy entertainment.

Shame the other two were so shit.

In terms of critical reception, the second movie was easily the highest rated of the trilogy.
This is the Rotten Tomatoes scores of each film: 2- 74%, 1- 64%, 3- 59% (it was 60% for the longest time).

Giant Bombcast 452: A Board-Certified Medical Podcast
Let our team of accredited physicians ease your pain with the finest treatments money can buy, including Red Dead Redemption 2, more Gears of Four, a little PSVR followup, tidbits from Steam Dev Days, back massages, eyeball massages, and more of Dan's wedding planning.
Filed Under: DualShock 4, HTC Vive, Birdo, United Front Games, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Gears of War 4, Abzû, Dragon Quest Builders, Job Simulator: The 2050 Archives, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, SMASH+GRAB, Red Dead Redemption 2

Top Bottom