• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I saw all those people in the Switch trailer take it outside, place it down, then gathered all their friends around to look at it and I thought "no one actually does this".

I've come across college kids congregating to play handhelds or hooking up a Wii U to a common TV.

The whole detachable controller thing is weird, though. Could've easily been a solid unit and used the space for battery. Maybe Nintendo has a plan to release controller modules; symmetrical sticks, proper dpad, a GameCube layout.

I've come across college kids congregating to play handhelds or hooking up a Wii U to a common TV.

The whole detachable controller thing is weird, though. Could've easily been a solid unit and used the space for battery. Maybe Nintendo has a plan to release controller modules; symmetrical sticks, proper dpad, a GameCube layout.

Yup. I think it's such an obvious thing for them do. Well, that, plus special controller accessories for particular game, like a camera controller for a Pokemon Snap-esque game or a reel add-on for a fishing game.

People might do it though, and that's what ninty wants to market

I can't decide if "Ninty" or "The Big N" annoys me more.

In my effort to work through my remaining Wii U library I started Tokyo Mirage today. 1h in and all I got was one fight so far. Looked it up on HLTB and it takes around 50h to beat. That's a lot, considering Pokémon and FF XV are right around the corner. I'm not someone who plays a new 50h RPG every month. I'm more like on RPG per year is ok. Or maybe two.

TMS is really good, but it's very long.
It's probably better than FFXV.

Ever since I started trying remote play with PS4 and Vita, I hoped someone would do what Nintendo did with Switch. What I had in mind was not as powerful as Switch is (I didn't think it would be possible just yet). If the rumored specs are real, it's more powerful than a PS3/360 (and Wii U?)

I've seen 2x-3x Wii U on the low-end of estimations, which is why you see so much confusion over whether or not Splatoon and Mario Kart are ports with slightly better graphics or new games. It doesn't help that they seem to be running on the exact same engines as their predecessors.

It turns out the Logan teaser is especially good if you

a) Go into it mistakenly thinking it was a Logan's Run reboot
b) Somehow miss the Marvel logo at the beginning.

When the claws came out I was like, "Oh. Right. THAT Logan."

oti

Banned
TMS is really good, but it's very long.
It's probably better than FFXV.

I'm ok with not finishing a game if I've gotten my fill. If I care enough about the story I'll just look it up on YouTube. I played Xenoblade on Wii and dropped it after 40h. It was fun but on the brink of not being fun anymore, so I stopped. Didn't even read up on the story since it was just anime nonsense anyway.

TMS looks cool so far. Loved the Sailor Moon transforming sequence and the cutscenes. Just seems a bit slow at the beginning but it's a JRPG after all.

KorrZ

I wish Giant Bomb would more proactively get out on big news days like this.

It seems so weird to go to their site and have a small article about the Switch and nothing else.

FStop7

Banned
A lot of my interest in the Switch depends on whether or not the screen is capacitive touch. I suspect it isn't, but we'll see.

I wish Giant Bomb would more proactively get out on big news days like this.

It seems so weird to go to their site and have a small article about the Switch and nothing else.

alive mailbag style video where they talk about it at their desks. dont thru think this is a big deal? dont they think Nintendo is legitamte?

Chuck

Still without luck
It's really stupid if they don't do any sort of reaction thing and elect to wait til the Bombcast, when they'll inevitably say "well everyone's already talked about this so we don't have much to add" and then not talk about it.

Giganteus

alive mailbag style video where they talk about it at their desks. dont thru think this is a big deal? dont they think Nintendo is legitamte?
That would seem appropriate. The more I think about it, the more weird it seems. I mean, this is a big new thing, right? They probably think covering it over the next week is fine, but it's not exactly timely. Kind of a bummer.

It's really stupid if they don't do any sort of reaction thing and elect to wait til the Bombcast, when they'll inevitably say "well everyone's already talked about this so we don't have much to add" and then not talk about it.
Yeah, weird thing to do.

J_Viper

I know it's a commercial and everything, but I've never seen anyone that attractive messing around with a portable video game console in public.

Where does this magical place exist?

SomberOwl

Yeah I'd be down for some brief reactions to big news like this. Even if it is just them at their desks talking about it very informally like a mailbag vid like mentioned above.

robotrock

Banned
Yeah I'd be down for some brief reactions to big news like this. Even if it is just them at their desks talking about it very informally like a mailbag vid like mentioned above.

Patrick and Alex did a random live cast kind of thing when the news of the Irrational Games closure was breaking.

KorrZ

That's really all that is needed. A quick 10-15 minute video of them talking about the news. Doesn't have to be some big production.

That's really all that is needed. A quick 10-15 minute video of them talking about the news. Doesn't have to be some big production.

I think the next best thing is them talking about it on UPF (though, their reactions won't be snap judgments) or Alex and Vinny on tomorrow's Beastcast.

Johndoey

Banned
Now we just need a new Kid Icarus game. It's time to give it another go!
Pit/Palutena otp

The GTA5 unveil trailer was much better than RDR2's.

Now I want to replay GTA5.
That is true, that teaser was fantastic, this is still pretty good though.

There's a design enthusiast side of me that just loves how the Switch looks and operates. If the controllers aren't super clunky to get in and out of their slots (it didn't look too great in the video) then I'll be really happy.

Also that perfect sound effect for the logo, like goddamn they nailed it.

There's a design enthusiast side of me that just loves how the Switch looks and operates. If the controllers aren't super clunky to get in and out of their slots (it didn't look too great in the video) then I'll be really happy.

Also that perfect sound effect for the logo, like goddamn they nailed it.

I think it was Austin who was talking about how they nailed the sound design of that reveal. It's a weird thing to point out, but he's absolutely right.

The clunk sound that goes with the logo is going to be iconic. If they have any sense, it'll play when you boot it up.

Top Bottom