• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Meguro

Banned
Wait a new ER and Dan confirmed to stay at BEast?
Coolio.
I do worry about West now.
Hopefully they get a new hire somewhat soon.

A new hire shaking up West seems like a smart move, especially if it's someone with outside the norm tastes in games. I'm excited for Dan Alex Vinny, they seemed to have good chemistry.

Xater

Yeah Dan at East is fine. I am also glad he seems to be committed to end this Mario Party Nightmare in the worst way possible.

I'm sad Dan is leaving GBWest but he was fun with Vinny and a good offsetting force to Alex's I'm-only-happy-when-it-rains attitude. I think Vinny Alex and Bakalar have enough ability to carry serious talk so Dan's dan-ness will work.

West though is a bit worrying. If Jason isn't on it's really just a two man conversation as Drew is usually pretty quiet manning the board. And I'm already cringing for the inevitable "THEY NEED TO HIRE A MINORITY OR ELSE THEY ARE SEXIST RACISTS" outrage that will rise up for their next hire. Dan and Jason were outstanding fits for the company. Austin was a great hire for the written portion of the site, though I didn't like him on the podcast, and brought a more serious journalistic angle to the site that Patrick had left vacant. Hopefully their next hire fits in just as well.

But really GB lives and dies with Jeff for me so as long as he is on the bombast and does dumb videos I'm all in.

But there wasnt outrage. There was some disappointment that they didnt broaden their horizons when they hired Dan and Jason. Many times in podcast they have mentioned they didnt want to take a stance on an issue because they recognized that they were all straight white guys. It wasnt anti Dan or Jason it was hoping that the site they love would expand into some new horizons. People need to learn that you can criticize the situation without criticizing the person. There were even people here trying to imply Patrick was anti Dan because he retweeted someone who was upset GB was hiring more of the same. And with good reason, if you just go off the discussions and points Austin was able to bring up during his time here. He was a voice putting out points of view that many in the community were upset never get brought up or expanded on beyond the base level. And you shouldn't fear the conversation but welcome it because it will in the end make GB a stonger unit because they are able to represent more of the community who interacts with them.

Damn there's a new endurance run on the site right now

YBwd2Se.png

The numbers just keep going up!!

The thirst is real.

Looking forward to the Vinny+Dan shenanigans that are bound to happen now, hopefully Alex doesn't completely lose his sanity during it. Wonder if we will get another film and forties before he goes? I need more 'cool dude' movies to watch.

hamchan

Shenmue is a legit endurance run. Especially when you're sitting there with nothing to do, waiting for the time to tick, that's a real endurance.

Peru

Dan in the East will be interesting. They have a certain cet of games they've been focusing on - partly because of Austin in his time there but it extends to the other three as well: PC games, indie games, system-based games. Dan is the opposite of that: Nintendo centred, likes action games otherwise. They would dismiss stuff like Super Mario Maker offhand, or any games of the type really. Now they'll be challenged on that.

It'll be a funny and interesting contrast to bring to the East - at the same time we need someone else now to rep for certain types of games in the West, else the shooter and moba talk may overwhelm.

super mario sunshine endurance run when

it'd be great, vinny would try to see what little good there is in it while dan desperately convinces alex/himself that it isn't a huge disappointment

robotrock

Banned
Dan in the East will be interesting. They have a certain cet of games they've been focusing on - partly because of Austin in his time there but it extends to the other three as well: PC games, indie games, system-based games. Dan is the opposite of that: Nintendo centred, likes action games otherwise. They would dismiss stuff like Super Mario Maker offhand, or any games of the type really. Now they'll be challenged on that.

It'll be a funny and interesting contrast to bring to the East - at the same time we need someone else now to rep for certain types of games in the West, else the shooter and moba talk may overwhelm.

Yeah Giant Bomb West has a really serious MOBA talk problem right now

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would almost accept a shenmue 1+2 ER if we don't get remasters. finished shenmue 1 though so I might dip in for nostalgia, but really want to see shenmue 2 which I've never played

Also they should hire someone to take more weight off driving duties for Drew and bring him on as a presenter more. Maybe not fully but I like his contributions and his areas of interest

Alex seems to like Nintendo... Hard to tell with him.

With Dan in the mix, I hope they retain some level of insightful discussion they had with Austin. Haven't caught up with the Dan Beastcasts yet to see what the tone is.

LiK

Alex seems to like Nintendo... Hard to tell with him.

With Dan in the mix, I hope they retain some level of insightful discussion they had with Austin. Haven't caught up with the Dan Beastcasts yet to see what the tone is.

Alex likes Nintendo. I think he ends up reviewing most of the Nintendo games on the site as well.

Cronen

As someone with no internet, and being in a time zone that meant I was sleeping when it was on, can someone summarise the panel for me? All I know is Dan going to GBE and the Shenmue ER. Anything else happen? Did they say why Dan is moving?

Anjin M

As someone with no internet, and being in a time zone that meant I was sleeping when it was on, can someone summarise the panel for me? All I know is Dan going to GBE and the Shenmue ER. Anything else happen? Did they say why Dan is moving?

The panel intro with Jeff in a mo-cap suit playing a VR game was pretty good. But I think that's the only other thing you missed. Everything else was eh.

demidar

New Endurance Run?!?! Dan going East?!?!

That explains why this thread jumped 15 pages since yesterday.

Anyway, does anyone have a link to the panel or should I just wait til it gets uploaded?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I feel like this every time I come into this thread

cMWalaa.gif

I feel so streets behind.

Ledsen

I can't believe Dan is leaving the Bombcast. So sad :( he went from being a joke to one of my all-time favourites. Such a naive, weird, but funny and genuinely good guy. And he plays so perfectly off the rest of the crew. My dream team would be Jeff, Vinny, Drew and Dan on the same podcast. Maybe Brad to gasp in disbelief at Dan's weird habits and beliefs. I'm really disappointed now...

Rainmaker

Banned
Wait, Dan is moving to NY permanently? Is the new hire going to be in SF?

What does this mean for Mario Party?

Too many news!

Yes. New hire for SF and Dan has promised they will finish all of the Mario Parties before he leaves in the winter... even if they have to do them all in one day.

def sim

I don't have a hangover, I've walked my dog, and have nothing else to do this Sunday. Time to start this Shenmue ER. ☺️

Top Bottom