• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Jintor

Whelp I got knocked back for that job interview I was talking about like three weeks back in the last thread.

it was for a position with cnet australia

man, I was really hoping for that one...

FStop7

Banned
One of the things I didn't appreciate about Shenmue until later is the gray and moody feeling of Yokosuka that Suzuki created for the game. Yokosuka sounds like it could be a rough place to grow up in. A lot of friction between local Japanese and Americans stationed there. And a strong organized crime presence, too.

There's a photo book called Yokosuka Story by Ishiuchi Miyako who captured a lot of powerful images of life there in the 70s.

http://hyperallergic.com/250140/a-photographer-who-exposed-the-scars-and-traumas-of-postwar-japan/

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Whelp I got knocked back for that job interview I was talking about like three weeks back in the last thread.

it was for a position with cnet australia

man, I was really hoping for that one...
I received a rejection letter from SpaceX.

The feeling sucks.

robotrock

Banned
I've never played Shenmue but I'm really into it from the endurance run so far. I might just buy a dreamcast and play through it

Plesiades

Dan skin in Dead by Daylight.

iC05dOV.png

If you were wondering, Greg's "Stephen Hawking" voice was provided by Andy Cortez of Rooster Teeth (Greg retweeted his tweet about it). Some were sure it was Griffin McElroy. It was funny in the chat that people kept telling Greg to shut up, even though he didn't say a word until he stood up at the end.

danm999

Been out of the loop. A new Endurance Run? Dan moving to NYC? All these things I didn't know I wanted until I got them.

I mean, they're playing it on a Dreamcast that's at the point where it only works while upside-down. They'll be lucky to have it survive through the whole game.

Well, the problems that they were talking about might be partially due to Dreamcast hardware, and partially due to the disc. Shenmue was one of only two games (the other being Shenmue 2) that used up all 1.2GB of the GD-ROM for Game Data. This apparently had the unfortunate side effect of making the discs for Shenmue noticeably more fragile than other DC games. So while other DC discs could generally shrug off minor scratches or dust particles, Shenmue was a bit more sensitive to that kind of stuff, making read errors more likely.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Did they ever release any Halo 5 numbers? Sales, concurrent players? I feel like no one cared about that one.

Did they ever release any Halo 5 numbers? Sales, concurrent players? I feel like no one cared about that one.

Only what frankie said, they met their sales goals and did 5 million (shipped + sold) in the first 3 months if i remember correctly.

Jothel

One of the things I didn't appreciate about Shenmue until later is the gray and moody feeling of Yokosuka that Suzuki created for the game. Yokosuka sounds like it could be a rough place to grow up in. A lot of friction between local Japanese and Americans stationed there. And a strong organized crime presence, too.

There's a photo book called Yokosuka Story by Ishiuchi Miyako who captured a lot of powerful images of life there in the 70s.

http://hyperallergic.com/250140/a-photographer-who-exposed-the-scars-and-traumas-of-postwar-japan/
I can only speak to how it is living there now as an Englishman... There isn't really too much friction between the Americans and Japanese as far as I can tell, every so often there will be anti nuclear protestors who give me dirty looks... Americans have nuclear weapons on Japanese soil which is technically illegal so they're not happy.
There are some rougher parts of Yokosuka but it's Japan so it's perfectly safe.
As for the organised crime, in my experience the yakuza won't fuck with you if you don't fuck with them - the ones I've met were super nice.
Will have a look at those pics though!

I recently replayed Shenmue 2 and when it reached Kowloon I decided to Google it to see how accurate that place is.

I was amazed by the pictures.

Top Bottom