• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Zaph

Man I almost want to make a thread about this because Ark has looked questionable for a while now. I can't believe they released an expansion you have to pay for while the game is still in Early Access. Of course players are not happy: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ark-survival-evolved-paid-dlc-rustles-feathers/0171975

It's kind of incredible. I don't really follow the game, but from what I've read, it wouldn't really be so bad if the base game itself wasn't already so far behind schedule.

f0rk

Hope Rorie does a proper WoW quick look soon, the expansion is really good. A lot of content and I've finally found a way of using the areas they've built over a longer period of time.

Curufinwe

for as much as they hammer home "never preorder games," I think they should be pushing "don't buy early access" even more

Never preorder games is an overly cautious piece of advice when there are games where the reviews come out before launch. Pre ordering Uncharted 4 and Deus Ex MD was not any more risky than buying them after launch.

Sakwoff

The ER is quite wonderful.

Having never played Shenmue or even really read/watched things about it, I totally get Jeff now. Shenmue really is kind of terrible. But man, if it isn't perfect for the ER format. Unleashing Vinny on that thing is pure gold.

The ER is quite wonderful.

Having never played Shenmue or even really read/watched things about it, I totally get Jeff now. Shenmue really is kind of terrible. But man, if it isn't perfect for the ER format. Unleashing Vinny on that thing is pure gold.

It's really not terrible. An ER is not going to present the game in the correct light.

It has a very engaging world and interesting story, and the focus on some of the more mundane aspects of life can really suck you in.

I love Vinny fucking around and mocking everything because everything can be mocked easily, but if you took the time to play it properly you'd see things differently.

Maybe back then, but it hasn't exactly aged well.

This just makes me think what even would shenmue 3 be? You can't make a game with bad vo acting anymore. Well you can but it would be no good.

z1IJTpp.png

275b006a-e305-4164-8a31-b2d12e459e84

It's really not terrible. An ER is not going to present the game in the correct light.

It has a very engaging world and interesting story, and the focus on some of the more mundane aspects of life can really suck you in.

I love Vinny fucking around and mocking everything because everything can be mocked easily, but if you took the time to play it properly you'd see things differently.

Aspects of it haven't aged well, but I agree. Merely following directions is unique. NPCs say, go ask the girl at the flower shop; go to so-and-so street, right next to the shop. Reading signs to get around. For a game of it's time it really immersed you in that world. There's a deliberate pace to playing the game and it's there's amusement to the mundanity of what you're doing.

Sooner than later they'll hint points where they're literally waiting for appointments. Shenmue 2 streamlines it by letting you skip right to events.

hamchan

I'd say Shenmue is definitely very rough and janky these days, with some parts that are truly insufferable to play through. Jeff was always right about the game.

Anyways we know that a good game isn't necessary for an entertaining playthrough, see Deadly Premonition. All the game needs is charm, plus the opportunity to provide plenty of dumb, funny moments, and I think Shenmue certainly has that.

Maybe back then, but it hasn't exactly aged well.

This just makes me think what even would shenmue 3 be? You can't make a game with bad vo acting anymore. Well you can but it would be no good.

Why would 3 have bad VO?

It's going to be nearly 20 years later. You'd actively have to try and have bad VO these days, really.

I'm not sure what S3 will be myself because of the way 2 ends. It's going off in quite a different direction...

Why would 3 have bad VO?

It's going to be nearly 20 years later. You'd actively have to try and have bad VO these days, really.

I'm not sure what S3 will be myself because of the way 2 ends. It's going off in quite a different direction...

Kind of my point. Are we gonna get Nolan north voicing ryo? Would feel a bit off. I don't think you can really make a shenmue 3 tbh, I think its time and place has been and passed. But we'll see eh.

Kind of my point. Are we gonna get Nolan north voicing ryo? Would feel a bit off. I don't think you can really make a shenmue 3 tbh, I think its time and place has been and passed. But we'll see eh.

I think people just need to have realistic expectations.

It's not going to be as mind blowing. The scale will feel smaller. Characters are going to look and sound different.

All I want is a continuation and end to the story, so unless it's really bad, I'll probably be happy. It's been a long wait....

Sakwoff

Yeah...

So far, there hasn't been much beyond really hokey writing and acting + a simple revenge story as set-up. And then a lot of that thing in JRPGs that you have to do before they let you out of the first town and the real game begins. They are still really early on though. I reckon it's probably going places later?

It's kinda charming in its way, but I can't really see myself taking it in any way seriously. Even if you take away the duderisms.

(I really love that the game exists though.)

Why would 3 have bad VO?

Honestly I joked about it before but I do like that the Endurance Run games they've played (well besides Chrono Trigger) all have different aspects of that "slice of life" small town setting and atmosphere to them. It's like an unofficial ongoing theme to that feature.

Yeah...

So far, there hasn't been much beyond really hokey writing and acting + a simple revenge story as set-up. And then a lot of that thing in JRPGs that you have to do before they let you out of the first town and the real game begins. They are still really early on though. I reckon it's probably going places later?

It's kinda charming in its way, but I can't really see myself taking it in any way seriously. Even if you take away the duderisms.

(I really love that the game exists though.)

It's going to go places, but it's a very personal story with quite a modest scope all the way through.

Basically later on in the game you move to the docks which is the second big location, and back in 2000 that felt like a huge thing. Not only had you moved away from your small town, you had a daily job you had to maintain, and you do all of the investigating between your job, going to bed before 11pm and a few other things...

The scope is 2 is a bit bigger with more locations and more of a traditional "adventure".

Top Bottom