• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Shenmue is basically that part in Persona 4 where you had to run around town "investigating" before it let you into the next dungeon.

This Endurance Run is going to end up being the best way to consume Shenmue and its sequel, isn't it.

That's kinda how the Deadly Premonition ER was for me. I bought a copy of the game and I do think there are aspects of it that are legitimately cool and special, but ultimately it was too much of a chore to actually play for me. It's especially a shame when you hear that Swery didn't even want those combat sections in the game, iirc.

I like how there is a sort of connection persona 4, deadly premonition and shenmue. All have elements of mundane living and quirkiness with the NPCs . I can definitely see the ways that shenmue probably influenced SWERY when making deadly premonition.

Harpuia

Man Shenmue is a weeeeeeeeird game. I can see why a lot of people loved it back then. Though, I'm not sure if it holds up if we're taking a look at it seriously.

This ER is great. I really hope they do Shenmue 2 as well.

StoveOven

Banned
I've never played Shenmue, but this Endruance Run is great so far. I think the new Beast crew is the perfect trio to play through this game.

Man Shenmue is a weeeeeeeeird game. I can see why a lot of people loved it back then. Though, I'm not sure if it holds up if we're taking a look at it seriously.

This ER is great. I really hope they do Shenmue 2 as well.

I think they would really have to. Shenmue is hardly long enough to qualify for the moniker "Endurance."

Nishastra

Banned
That's kinda how the Deadly Premonition ER was for me. I bought a copy of the game and I do think there are aspects of it that are legitimately cool and special, but ultimately it was too much of a chore to actually play for me. It's especially a shame when you hear that Swery didn't even want those combat sections in the game, iirc.
The irony is, there are weapons in the game that both ERs missed that make combat trivial. You can one- or two-shot wall ladies.

Also, one of the ERs (I forget which one) had completed the mission to get that weapon, but just never bothered to turn it in.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
so is Shenmue really just running around town chasing rumors or is there more to it

That's mostly it. You also get the most infamous part time job in video game history and play brief moments of one of the better 3D beat em ups, but it's mostly running around talking to people and doing random things around town.

I think when you beat the game you could unlock a survival fighting mode that I probably played more than anybody should be recommended to do. There was no voice acting in that part though so it was kind of great.

justjim89

Brad really needs to get his mastery levels up in Hitman, if for nothing else than the cool toys you get for doing so.

-remote explosive rubber ducky
-breach charge
-explosive cell phone
-remote audio distraction
-sleep, emetic, and lethal poison vials

There are so many toys to play with that they could do such dumb things with.

Meneses

I definitely played that survival mode a LOT.

It was great, and really let the (underutilized) fighting mechanics shine.

Nishastra

Banned
There's more and more fights the later you get, as well as lots of QTEs.

The later fights might be a problem if they avoid training at all.

It's an adventure game first and foremost, though. You talk to people, get items or information, and use those items or information in the right places in order to progress.
I definitely played that survival mode a LOT.

It was great, and really let the (underutilized) fighting mechanics shine.
Yeah, Shenmue is kind of weird in that regard. You're meant to do a lot of training, but aside from the few big fights at the end you don't actually do that much fighting until the second game, and if you play the Xbox version of 2 (the only one that came out in the US), none of that hard work carries over anyway.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Brad really needs to get his mastery levels up in Hitman, if for nothing else than the cool toys you get for doing so.

-remote explosive rubber ducky
-breach charge
-explosive cell phone
-remote audio distraction
-sleep, emetic, and lethal poison vials

There are so many toys to play with that they could do such dumb things with.

He would never use them anyway though.
Also sleep poison is really the most useless thing in the entire game. If the target is surrounded by people they'll just wake it up. If it's alone you don't need sleep poison anyway.

justjim89

He would never use them anyway though.
Also sleep poison is really the most useless thing in the entire game. If the target is surrounded by people they'll just wake it up. If it's alone you don't need sleep poison anyway.

You're not wrong on the sleep poison. But I think they'd get a big kick out of the explosive duckies or the cell phone bomb. There's some fun to be had with those. I love how the proximity duck quacks faster and faster as it's about to explode. When I first heard that I lost my shit laughing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You're not wrong on the sleep poison. But I think they'd get a big kick out of the explosive duckies or the cell phone bomb. There's some fun to be had with those. I love how the proximity duck quacks faster and faster as it's about to explode. When I first heard that I lost my shit laughing.

I have the remote explosive duck and throwing it into a crowd and then slowly walking away, looking for a cool camera angle and exploding the thing will never get old. I don't care how cliched it is, walking away from an explosion just looks cool.

Strax

Man, that pegging thread is something else.

OT: Can't wait for work to be over so I can watch ER. Last week of work.

justjim89

I have the remote explosive duck and throwing it into a crowd and then slowly walking away, looking for a cool camera angle and exploding the thing will never get old. I don't care how cliched it is, walking away from an explosion just looks cool.

Yep, the remote one is kind of the best weapon in the game, especially if you run out of clever ideas for an elusive target. It's a good safe bet that doesn't put you at a whole lot of risk.

FStop7

Banned
Games like Ark are the video game equivalent of "pump and dump" stock market scams.

The publisher pays streamers to play the game and to get their audiences to go all in, then they start with the DLC and let the core game development die on the vine. And then it's on to the next game.

Games like Ark are the video game equivalent of "pump and dump" stock market scams.

The publisher pays streamers to play the game and to get their audiences to go all in, then they start with the DLC and let the core game development die on the vine. And then it's on to the next game.

Nah, pump and dumps would be more like unity asset flip/five nights youtube scream bait Steam Greenlight games.

Myggen

I really should turn off comments on YT.

2eNRi9z.png

Scizzy

These next few months without Dan in NY are going to make the Beastcast a struggle for me. All of the post-Austin/non-Dan podcasts have dragged pretty badly for me.

Xater

Yeah not extending my Premium this time. The premium stuff has been lackluster for months now. Shenmue ER is the best thing they have going and that is free. I'm gonna need to see some changes before I resubscribe. Maybe once they have a full crew again it might be worth it.

Top Bottom