• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

In 2016 we have seen 72 non-bombcast premium videos, which puts us on pace for roughly 108 by the end of the year.

Unless I counted incorrectly, 2015 had 163 premium videos. That's a 34% reduction in premium content. 2014 had 144 premium videos, and Dan and Jason only came on in the second half of the year.

Of course this doesn't factor in runtime, and certainly not objective or subjective quality
UPF is real bad these days
, but you can maybe see why people are questioning the value of their premium membership.

So there's actually less content. But I was told that "it's a fact" that there is more.

People questioning their premium value, and I just bought the sale membership :( I hope I did not make a big mistake.

I want some podcasts without having to press the "skip 30 seconds" button a few times on commercial breaks though, so it'll be worth it every time I do a long drive.

People questioning their premium value, and I just bought the sale membership :( I hope I did not make a big mistake.

I want some podcasts without having to press the "skip 30 seconds" button a few times on commercial breaks though, so it'll be worth it every time I do a long drive.

A lot of the posts in this topic are overly negative, I wouldn't worry about it much. I've definitely gotten more than my money's worth out of subbing, lots got good entertainment. Watch the premium stuff, see what you think and go from there!

demidar

A lot of the posts in this topic are overly negative, I wouldn't worry about it much. I've definitely gotten more than my money's worth out of subbing, lots got good entertainment. Watch the premium stuff, see what you think and go from there!

Nah he made the biggest mistake of his life.

I can never figure out UPF - I want to say its gone from being 'unprofessional in name but actually a well planned casual gaming slot' to 'throw any old crap like Dota hats on screen to fill the mandatory 2 hour slot before we can go home and actually do something we enjoy' but its hard to tell if it just feels like that because its been going for so long. Either way I have little interest in watching it anymore.

Shenmue ER though, totally in. Inject it into my poorly textured veins.

Nishastra

Banned
oh, i wouldn't go that far
? But it is.

Each vowel only has one sound. Unlike in English, where you have to guess at how to pronounce new words, there is only one possible way to pronounce anything in Japanese.

It would probably be easiest to teach Dan this using "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo", since I'm fairly confident he knows how to pronounce that :p

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can never figure out UPF - I want to say its gone from being 'unprofessional in name but actually a well planned casual gaming slot' to 'throw any old crap like Dota hats on screen to fill the mandatory 2 hour slot before we can go home and actually do something we enjoy' but its hard to tell if it just feels like that because its been going for so long. Either way I have little interest in watching it anymore.

Shenmue ER though, totally in. Inject it into my poorly textured veins.

I haven't watched UPF in months unless people here talk about how great it was. I enjoyed it when they play weird and random games but whenever I watched it it was just stuff they played before. Despite that I never feel bad about buying Premium. I easily got 10 hours of enjoyment out of it, and that's basically how much I expect for 30€.

Also I caught up with Jeff's Steam stream. Man, I was expecting so much more. I feel like 90% of the time was spent on Racing or Fighting games which are just boring as hell to watch. Was hoping for some steam weirdness and got Divekick instead. Eh.

KorrZ

I don't end up watching UPF very often because the whole "look at how dumb this game is haha!" shtick has never really been something that interests me.

It would probably be easiest to teach Dan this using "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo", since I'm fairly confident he knows how to pronounce that :p

that's like one of the worst possible ideas because the lx/rx phoneme is one of the few that doesn't actually exist in english. or at least not in common use.

? But it is.

Each vowel only has one sound. Unlike in English, where you have to guess at how to pronounce new words, there is only one possible way to pronounce anything in Japanese.

in theory that's somewhat true but in practice it tends to vary wildly. at least if you have the end goal of pronouncing words like a native and not a heavily accented foreigner. the base phonemes are a good start but then you immediately run into things like pitch accents (which have the added bonus of varying wildly by dialect), unvoiced vowels, and so on. which is more or less how you end up with common phrases like "shitsurei shimasu" actually sounding like "straysh-moss" or even "traysh-moss." which, in theory you could do what jp101 teachers tell you to do and pronounce all syllables with the same stress, but then you'll just end up sounding like a robot.

impressively, Alex comes pretty close a lot of the time, even down to the pitch accent. the only really common mistake he seems to make is with sequential vowels.

Tagyhag

Questioning or not, if this is your first time getting premium, you have an insane amount of content ahead of you.

You shouldn't worry at all.

Questioning or not, if this is your first time getting premium, you have an insane amount of content ahead of you.

You shouldn't worry at all.

I was looking forward to watching all of Metal Gear Scanlon, that'll last me a long time. I actually did a month earlier this year to see all of Mario Party Party, but it was only a month so I couldn't get into the longer stuff.

I was looking forward to watching all of Metal Gear Scanlon, that'll last me a long time. I actually did a month earlier this year to see all of Mario Party Party, but it was only a month so I couldn't get into the longer stuff.

If you're into the souls games at all I highly recommend breaking Brad demon soul's, lots of good Vinny / Brad moments. MGScanlon has been pretty entertaining so far for me, I'm on MGS4 currently. Also recommend the deadly premonition and persona 4 endurance runs (definitely are big time commitments but pretty entertaining)

Ranking of Japanese Speakers

I'm into it.

brad literally refuses to speak it so there's a great big wrench in that plan

Jeff is also decent. What I've heard of Alexa's speech is strongly american accented but very natural. Way more natural than mine (she's also two levels of the JLPT ahead of me). Drew's limited vocab seems fine. Jason's is pretty poor, which is funny all things considered. Vinny and Dan are in a heated competition for dead last. Austin's seemed functional and he could read kana.

Jeff is also decent. What I've heard of Alexa's speech is strongly american accented but very natural. Way more natural than mine (she's also two levels of the JLPT ahead of me). Drew's limited vocab seems fine. Jason's is pretty poor, which is funny all things considered. Vinny and Dan are in a heated competition for dead last. Austin's seemed functional and he could read kana.

Jason's forte is engrish.

More videos usually means more variation, so there's something for everybody.

except the part where like 60% of the premium content is UPF, the worst show on television

the 3DO one is perfect in every way

Jeff growling "biiiitch" at the end of the Need For Speed FMV

Pretty much everything about them playing Need for Speed is amazing. Easily the best TNT.

Meet me in the bathroom for a pep talk before the race.

Anyone remember Harmonix's FPS? Because I forgot until I was reminded through relistening to a 2014 Bombcast.

We're going to be asking "Remember Harmonix?" in a year or two, and it's going to suck.

You paid money specifically to watch Mario Party Party? Nobody wins.

Not true. There is one winner for this scenario.

04-les-moonves.w1200.h630.jpg

Uncle Les always gets his cut, motherfucker.

Content idea: Betting the Farmville, just with the 8-4 folks each tutoring a Duder in Japanese.

I really should turn off comments on YT.

Never read YT comments, save yourself.

Nice!

not 100% sure about the rules on posting YT lins or promoting things you made, but this video isn't monetized or anything... I will remove the link if needed :)

Finished my GB animation Project, 80s style cartoon intro for the guys... just for fun :)

https://youtu.be/pIgGTX6tR6M

made a blog about on the site too if you want to see it:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giant-bomb-animation-project-unofficial-classic-1801738/#3

Again, just for fun, thought people might want to see in this thread :)

That's awesome!

Why are people complaining about droughts again?

Hey now, not everyone is complaining. There are a silent few like me who still enjoy all the content they put out.

TraBuch

Banned
I don't get why GB just doesn't bring Kessler back as an intern and make him sit in a room doing Fear Gauntlet videos all day. Never have to worry about droughts again.

Salarians

oh shit you're right, I forgot about that. didn't they cancel it because it completely sucked?
I cant find any official cancellation announcement, but, while its page still exists, it's not listed on Harmonix's site anymore. The reception seemed to be largely negative.

What a weird thing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't get why GB just doesn't bring Kessler back as an intern and make him sit in a room doing Fear Gauntlet videos all day. Never have to worry about droughts again.

They can't afford his hat addiction. He's priced out of Giant Bomb's budget.

Top Bottom