• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Megasoum

Banned
So why do they call it a sale when it's not in any way a sale?

Call it a break from forcing you to get a shitty t shirt with your sub.

Yeah, especially for people outside of the US... We are forced to pay more for shipping so the coupon is even more useless. Also their t-shirts designs are terrible.

Lunar FC

Yeah, especially for people outside of the US... We are forced to pay more for shipping so the coupon is even more useless. Also their t-shirts designs are terrible.

Get the mug!

I was an idiot and let my sub auto renew before a 'sale' and now I have nothing to get, might just get another mug.

Although I got my first mug using a code that was gifted to me by a gaffer, so I may just pay it forward if anybody would want that.

I was just looking at my Billing History on the site, and apparently my last renewal was $29.99 (new member price). Not sure why that happened as I have been a member for a hell of a long time. I am Premium until May 2017 right now so I dont think I need to bother renewing yet.

The sub $30 barrier does seem like a better sale price IMO though. Pity the sale cannot be that price for all as I probably would go for an extra year due to some physiological price barrier trickery.

Megasoum

Banned
Get the mug!

I was an idiot and let my sub auto renew before a 'sale' and now I have nothing to get, might just get another mug.

The mug looks nice but I don't drink coffee/tea so it's of little use for me. I mostly drink water so I use 1.5L jugs that I keep refilling.

The retro cap is actually nice now that I look at it. I always wear a cap but I don't like to spend too much on them cause I sweat a lot so they last 6months max. Especially if it's light colored like that one.

I mean, I get why people don't like UPF most of the time. That was certainly a high point.

But cancelling UPF will not mean more time for other content. It's not like they're going to replace it with a more structured weekly show. If anything, no UPF just means one more day that they may or may not do something else.

I said in the last thread that the ideal for me would be to keep UPF around, but also cycle in other premium shows on Fridays. They should really be only doing UPF when they have good ideas lined up for it, and doing that also puts an ETA on other premium features that isn't "???????"

Chuck

Still without luck
Yeah I wouldn't mind if they got rid of UPF.

Or at least did some other big weekly steam. TNT, Us vs Them, tournament of some kind, whatever other ideas they had. Just having UPF be the standard when it's so fucking boring sometimes is a bummer.

I dont want UPF to go away because its sometimes good.

If it goes away without a replacment the next week it will never be replaced. That timeslot will die like Wednesdays and Thursdays did.

Keep them on the schedule. One they fall off they are never getting back on.

scaffa

UPF is great! It has become my Saturday Morning TV Show, the live stream is a bit to late for me so I always check it out later.

derFeef

UPF is great! It has become my Saturday Morning TV Show, the live stream is a bit to late for me so I always check it out later.

Yes this is true for me as well, two years back I cought them live (midnight or 1am for me), now I just can't anymore.

I love UPF, though sometimes segments drag, especially when they are single-player segments. Some of my favorite segments (and some of the funniest) are ones where more than one of them play.

I like the part in UPF where something preposterous is happening in a game Drew is playing but literally no one is paying attention. And then he mugs to the camera.

LiK

UPF is great. If they got rid of that, we don't have any other live shows to look forward to on a weekly basis.

Xater

UPF is like RAW. You hate yourself for 2 hours watching it hoping for at least one small fleeting moment of brilliance.

Guess Who

Banned
I like the part in UPF where something preposterous is happening in a game Drew is playing but literally no one is paying attention. And then he mugs to the camera.

Drew is a wonderful man but he definitely isn't as good at providing engaging commentary while playing a game the way most of the other guys are (and I don't mean that as a dig, it's totally understandable given its not really his job the way it is for the other guys).

The fact so many of you fear UPF going away means no show on Friday shows what the real problem is. There's a big lack of faith in GB to produce new content which isn't "mandatory".

What is unrealistic about a CBS company with two offices doing a schedule such as this:

Monday: VinnyVania / GBE Playdate (Gives West time to record podcast)
Tuesday: Game Tapes / Demo Derby
Wednesday: Random PC Game / Breaking Brad
Thursday: Ranking of Fighters (East record podcast)
Friday: Unprofessional Fridays / Us vs Them

A schedule like that would allow them to rotate 2 shows every month and balances out East/West content.

Not that I would want all of that to last forever - you need to add new features/games to the mix eventually.

kiguel182

One more year added! Best value!

EDIT: Wait, no more UPF? That's my Saturday Morning show! Hopefully it's replaces by something good.

EDIT2: Apparently it's a false alarm. Everything is good.

LiK

I don't think Jeff wants a set schedule for everything. I think he's mentioned that before in a Jartime. He likes to keep things fluid with what they make so I don't think we'll see set schedules made unless it's prerecoded like with Shenmue.

I don't think Jeff wants a set schedule for everything. I think he's mentioned that before in a Jartime. He likes to keep things fluid with what they make so I don't think we'll see set schedules made unless it's prerecoded like with Shenmue.

Being fluid is fine, if it meant you still had 4-5 premium shows a week. But you don't, so it's clearly not working as well as it could be.

Novocaine

Get the mug!

Although I got my first mug using a code that was gifted to me by a gaffer, so I may just pay it forward if anybody would want that.

I got one of the mugs, cost a fuckton to send it to Australia but it's a sweet mug. I just hope no one breaks it.

Also I love UPF.

Deeku

As a show, UPF is fine. It's just sometimes hit or miss content I guess. I definitely prefer the UPF format over say just a multiplayer focused show - never was a fan of TNT or Us v Them to be honest.

LiK

Being fluid is fine, if it meant you still had 4-5 premium shows a week. But you don't, so it's clearly not working as well as it could be.

I would like weekly Demo Derbies at least. Since Dan is leaving for the East soon, they should stock up on those.

kiguel182

I'm all for a fluid schedule. I like having the certainty of UPF and a few surprises each week.

The problem is when there are no surprises and the site just feels empty of new premium content.

As a show, UPF is fine. It's just sometimes hit or miss content I guess. I definitely prefer the UPF format over say just a multiplayer focused show - never was a fan of TNT or Us v Them to be honest.

UPF can be a lot of fun, but how many hits have they had with it lately? How much of an average 2 hour show do you find yourself enjoying?

Anyway, I agree that the multiplayer-focused stuff usually doesn't land, but I think they're aware of that. The Rocket League videos are a good time, but it's understandable why that never became a regular feature. That being said, it's not like the only possible stand-in for UPF would be something multiplayer-oriented.

I would like weekly Demo Derbies at least. Since Dan is leaving for the East soon, they should stock up on those.

Daily Dan & Drew Double Disc Demo Derbies.

Realistically speaking, though, it'd be nice if they made it a point to do a bunch of DDs before Dan left, and maybe get weird with it by doing more discs for more obscure consoles (Saturn demo discs are out there). They have to do at least a few before he leaves, right? It's everyone's favorite feature.

kiguel182

We had like an amazing UPF with Kessler two weeks ago or something.

Also, it's normally a chill moment when they just shot the shit over video-games. I don't know how someone can hate that.

Talking of kessler..Watching an old stream of Morrowind and notice they pretty much completely ignore Kessler after a point, was this common lol? I didn't watch much of the stream stuff back in the day

I feel like were past the point of asking for much more pre recorded content with us going into the Fall season before Dan leaves.

There are 3 editors at West, 4 total who typically review and play AAA games and this season has a bunch of games the crew will want to at least play/Quicklook if not do reviews for oh and VRodeos/PSVR launch stream and a something for the NX reveal

ArjanN

The fact so many of you fear UPF going away means no show on Friday shows what the real problem is. There's a big lack of faith in GB to produce new content which isn't "mandatory".

What is unrealistic about a CBS company with two offices doing a schedule such as this:

Monday: VinnyVania / GBE Playdate (Gives West time to record podcast)
Tuesday: Game Tapes / Demo Derby
Wednesday: Random PC Game / Breaking Brad
Thursday: Ranking of Fighters (East record podcast)
Friday: Unprofessional Fridays / Us vs Them

A schedule like that would allow them to rotate 2 shows every month and balances out East/West content.

Not that I would want all of that to last forever - you need to add new features/games to the mix eventually.

It's unrealistic because it would require them to work more than 2 days a week. :p

So idle speculation to help me get through my graveyard shift at work... Do we still think the new hire will be a "news" person. Obviously they'll be looking for someone good on camera, but will they also need to be a news person like Patrick/Austin? Or will they just hire someone similar to Dan again?

Top Bottom