• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Zaph

So idle speculation to help me get through my graveyard shift at work... Do we still think the new hire will be a "news" person. Obviously they'll be looking for someone good on camera, but will they also need to be a news person like Patrick/Austin? Or will they just hire someone similar to Dan again?

For GBWest's sake, I hope they look for another content machine like Dan.

GB only has 3 dedicated editors - Brad, Alex and Dan. Given their more camera-shy personality types, you'd hope Brad and Alex would be able to completely cover the news/contributors beat themselves and let the new hire make content.

oti

Banned
For GBWest's sake, I hope they look for another content machine like Dan.

GB only has 3 dedicated editors - Brad, Alex and Dan. Given their more camera-shy personality types, you'd hope Brad and Alex would be able to completely cover the news/contributors beat themselves and let the new hire make content.

I hope the new hire will like Nintendo games more. Dan balanced things a bit out but now that he's gone... the night is dark... for Nintendo games.

jaina

I hope the new hire will like Nintendo games more. Dan balanced things a bit out but not that he's gone... the night is dark... for Nintendo games.
I just realized the worst part:
the 3DS capture unit is in San Francisco... so for the 3DS games published throughout 2018 we will only get QLs of the ones Jeff is interested in (like Rhythm Heaven and Picross).

Xater

I hope the new hire will like Nintendo games more. Dan balanced things a bit out but not that he's gone... the night is dark... for Nintendo games.

I hope they don't just so Nintendo fans can be salty how they don't like Nintendo games which is wrong.

I've never played DOTA/LoL, but I kinda want to see someone on GB be able to talk about the stuff surrounding League... I mean, the crap that goes on around DOTA and The Invitational is bonkers to me, and Brad says that LoL is more popular, then that means we're missing out on a whole world of insane people spending insane money on that game!

Edit: Oops, forgot to add my distaste towards the current GB to blend in here... I hope the site vanishes forever, and I can't wait for my sub to run up in June 2018!

It's unrealistic because it would require them to work more than 2 days a week. :p

Yeah but that's the thing, they're there 5 days a week so why can't it happen?

It's obviously a relatively easy job but they can't be that lazy, there must be something preventing it from happening...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just look at the schedule for this week on Easy Allies http://easyallies.com . It is ridiculous how little content Giant Bomb produces, i'm really considering canceling my subscription.
Not sure I understand this one. Unless EA has patreon-exclusive content I don't see, GB actually has more.

The one thing EA does and GB really doesn't want to for some reason is to just stream a game for 2 hours a couple of times a week.

This whole "the dudes don't work" thing is a little in bad taste. The reason there isn't more premium content isn't laziness.

What is it then?

How can they not make demo derby a weekly thing? they sit in a room for an hour or so, have a good time and an easy edit for drew and bam, PREMIUM CONTENT

kiguel182

What is it then?

How can they not make demo derby a weekly thing? they sit in a room for an hour or so, have a good time and an easy edit for drew and bam, PREMIUM CONTENT

They probably have other stuff to do. And doing a Demo Derby probably takes more than just "let's sit in a room and do this".

Claiming laziness without knowing what goes on behind the scenes is just insulting them for no reason. There's no need for it.

Jintor

10 min until the next ER. Truly the gods of daily content have blessed us.

I would really love it if they had at least one daily feature running at all times. I bet that's hella production work but damn it would be nice.

bjork

UPF is great! It has become my Saturday Morning TV Show, the live stream is a bit to late for me so I always check it out later.

Same here. I get off around 4-4:30 saturday mornings, so I get some Del Taco on the way home and watch some UPF as my post-work ritual.

What is it then?

It's tough to say without actually being there, but they've alluded to mandatory meetings and stuff like that in the past. I'd imagine being part of CBSi involves having to deal with a lot of extra hoops to jump through that didn't exist previously.

2882071-vf_shenmue_er_03.jpg
Endurance Run: Shenmue - Part 03
All of that Excite QTE training is about to pay dividends as we continue down the mean streets of Dobuita.

It's tough to say without actually being there, but they've alluded to mandatory meetings and stuff like that in the past. I'd imagine being part of CBSi involves having to deal with a lot of extra hoops to jump through that didn't exist previously.

Sometimes I feel like Vinny's post should be in the OP.

Jothel

What is it then?

I work for a large corporation, the amount of bullshit meetings is insane, everything also takes forever so I can easily see them be bound down bullshit. Also good to note the conversation Patrick has with Austin, "Giant bomb is 10 people doing the work of 20+" sooooooo cut them some slack?

Hasney

Sometimes I feel like Vinny's post should be in the OP.

Yeah, not to bring up EZA (because we know how that goes!) but there were questions about content there too when things were behind schedule due to an editing queue, with some people thinking they could just get in some kid to snip everything up and do it right quick. Even in non corporate overlord companies, there's usually a helluva lot more that goes into a video than what you actually see come out the other end.

They probably have other stuff to do. And doing a Demo Derby probably takes more than just "let's sit in a room and do this".

Claiming laziness without knowing what goes on behind the scenes is just insulting them for no reason. There's no need for it.
I'm not saying they're lazy or don't work but realistically how can it be hard? The video stuff is set up in a way that even Jeff/Brad can drive the desk now when Jason/Drew aren't in.

Plan what disc they want to play, set up video equipment, start recording, check recording, go...

But they were never pushing out more content before CBS.

Deeku

would be nice to have someone that can talk about more niche stuff or at least widen their coverage of games - especially since austin's gone. jason actually fits that role but he's half production so not always around.

I'd imagine that they're not slacking off... One piece of evidence I'd point to is that apparently Drew has been so busy that he only recently was able to edit together that E3 video... I have a feeling that Drew is not the type of person to just idly hang around at work not doing much...

But that's just this stranger on the internets opinion

I'm not saying they're lazy or don't work but realistically how can it be hard? The video stuff is set up in a way that even Jeff/Brad can drive the desk now when Jason/Drew aren't in.

Plan what disc they want to play, set up video equipment, start recording, check recording, go...

It's probably not that easy.

I hope it's not that easy.

Jeez.
Of course it's fair to not be happy with the amount of content you're getting for your euro, but this kind of second guessing & arm chairing, who does it serve?

Maybe they should do a feedback survey? Just so we aren't spending so much time talking about it here.

------------------------------

Was happily surprised to hear Alex read my e-mail about American Football last weekend.
The match was actually pretty entertaining, had an exciting last "minute" (which, given the nature of the game is more like 5 or 10).
Distinct lack of tacos though.

It was a real "event", more than just the game itself, all the bands, half time show, advertisements and little tv moments / audience interaction bits.

Top Bottom