• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I know it's not but it just seems super artificial and kind of sours me on the game.

It wouldn't surprise me if theres some background math shenanigans going on in that last minute though lol

I'm being facetious, but at the same time, I've played against some seriously abysmal teams who somehow turn into absolute monsters in the end.

Ketch

The reason that the last second push is often more successful is in the nature of it being the last second. Literally everyone on the enemy team must attack at that time.

If there was two minutes left maybe the pharah or the mercy don't commit. But at the last second everyone must go and all ultis must be used and basically the game clock just coordinates the enemy push for them.

They could have won with the same push earlier, but they're just not coordinated enough.

hamchan

Things must be dire out West if the show where they can do literally anything they want for 2-3 hours is the worst one.

I'm late to Dan's hatred for Yakuza but did he start with 3? That's the only way I can see him disliking the series if he started with the orphanage stuff.

Even then, he still likes Shenmue. Must be nostalgia.

dhlt25

The last minute of an average OW game always feels like mario kart rubber banding to me. It's like collectively (even randoms) just get their shit together and crush defense.

yup it's so annoying. Lost a bunch of match where we were holding all the points to overtime (but they eventually got them all) on defense and proceed to die on the last point (despite taking the first few points with ease)

Jintor

not 100% sure about the rules on posting YT lins or promoting things you made, but this video isn't monetized or anything... I will remove the link if needed :)

Finished my GB animation Project, 80s style cartoon intro for the guys... just for fun :)

https://youtu.be/pIgGTX6tR6M

made a blog about on the site too if you want to see it:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giant-bomb-animation-project-unofficial-classic-1801738/#3

Again, just for fun, thought people might want to see in this thread :)

that was fun. Wouldn't say it flowed particularly well and I'm sad Austin didn't make the cut, what with leaving and all, but still fun

Jintor

impressively, Alex comes pretty close a lot of the time, even down to the pitch accent. the only really common mistake he seems to make is with sequential vowels.

his Chinese, at least for food dishes and stuff, is also relatively accurate. I assume that's his s/o's influence.

Dineren

Banned
I'm late to Dan's hatred for Yakuza but did he start with 3? That's the only way I can see him disliking the series if he started with the orphanage stuff.

While they have similarities, Shenmue and Yakuza are very different games with a very different focus. Maybe it is just nostalgia for him, but liking Shenmue is certainly no guarantee you will like Yakuza and vice versa.

Spaghetti

While they have similarities, Shenmue and Yakuza are very different games with a very different focus. Maybe it is just nostalgia for him, but liking Shenmue is certainly no guarantee you will like Yakuza and vice versa.
Yeah. The similarities between Shenmue and Yakuza are surface level at best, and they diverge pretty heavily in several places.

Yakuza is actually more of a crime soap opera; focusing on the locale of a certain area and the characters within it. The series may go other places, but all roads lead back to Kamurocho, will mainly focus on a core cast, and is very melodramatic in tone.

Shenmue has a lot more emphasis on travel and has its roots in Wuxia literature, although the first game is a super slow-burn Japanese detective story at heart. A lot of what Shenmue is about is personal and spiritual growth, against a background of martial arts and travelling through China. The tone is a lot more exploratory than Yakuza, and uses action a lot more sporadically too, except in Shenmue II's
Kowloon sequence which is effectively The Raid.

Dan didn't play Shenmue II though, so I've got not idea if he prefers Shenmue's approach for what it is over Yakuza.

Spaghetti

Shenmue has more in common with adventure games. Yakuza is an action RPG.
Mm, I dunno. Shenmue is structured like an RPG, even if it isn't obvious. It still deals in "quests" and "towns", and then there are more overt RPG mechanics with the move training and buying items like move scrolls to enhance your combat (equivalent to buying a new weapon, I suppose).

Lunar FC

I have like an hour break in my class schedule everyday, so I'm hoping they post these ER's early for that. Should be perf.

please don't take UPF from me

homer-4.jpg

Nostalgia is a powerful, powerful thing. I'm sure there are plenty things we all enjoyed from our youth that we look back with great fondness, even though in hindsight the things we enjoyed were not always of the highest quality (that's not to say Shenmue isn't- I've never played it). I'm sure there are movies/games many of us have in our home libraries that we only bought because we enjoyed them as children, but would much easier see their faults today if they were newly released.

Vic_Viper

which pax a mania was it that they were thrown out of due to the fog machine lol? I dont remember seeing that happen and ive seen all of them i think.

Dineren

Banned
Considering it's the only regular show with some level of viewer interaction (even if it is a very small amount) it wouldn't surprise me at all if UPF is very popular outside this thread.

So I just resubbed to premium for Game Tapes.
Why do these take so long to come out? They're literally my favorite premium content that they put out.

Anjin M

My first upf as a premium member was the pongs one, it has been downhill since then.

I mean, I get why people don't like UPF most of the time. That was certainly a high point.

But cancelling UPF will not mean more time for other content. It's not like they're going to replace it with a more structured weekly show. If anything, no UPF just means one more day that they may or may not do something else.

Some people are vocal about disliking UPF. That's all.

Yup, there are a few here that enjoy all the content they put out(me included) but hey, everyone is free to feel how they feel about said thing and that's fine. I certainly find the content discussion always interesting even if I don't share the same feelings.

Chuck

Still without luck
So why do they call it a sale when it's not in any way a sale?

Call it a break from forcing you to get a shitty t shirt with your sub.

Top Bottom