• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Jeez.
Of course it's fair to not be happy with the amount of content you're getting for your euro, but this kind of second guessing & arm chairing, who does it serve?

Maybe they should do a feedback survey? Just so we aren't spending so much time talking about it here.

As long as it doesn't cross into personal attacks or otherwise being shitty, I don't see the harm in it. I can't blame people for wanting to know what the workflow situation is like at the site during dry spells. Besides, the only stuff to really talk about at the moment is the ER and the Bombcast, and those both have their own gaming side threads.

We can't really know if concerns over content are valid when we don't really have any context.

Do we know if the PAX panel will be posted on the site?

it's on GBunarchived but i'd rather wait for drew's version if there will be one

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The panel is short and not that great so you probably are just better off watching the stream rip.

Assuming they just got back into the office today, I'd say it's at least a few days away.

if the difficulty is in their actual video setup then that's a self-manufactured problem. it's probably time to consider an alternative, minimal streaming set up so they can do more spontaneous videos if they want to. They probably shouldn't need a half hour+ warmup for something like "Jeff wants to play famicom games on an emulator for an hour"

Zaph

if the difficulty is in their actual video setup then that's a self-manufactured problem. it's probably time to consider an alternative, minimal streaming set up so they can do more spontaneous videos if they want to. They probably shouldn't need a half hour+ warmup for something like "Jeff wants to play famicom games on an emulator for an hour"

That seems to be a theme for GB. The video Bombcast is another example - Jeff talked about all the effort Drew put into the elaborate multi-cam podcast studio, and honestly I prefer the ones like Tested where it's just a fixed camera connected to a laptop and you can always see everyone at the same time.

kingocfs

Remember that other time this thread went on about whining about lack of "content" and Vinny had to come in and lay the smackdown?

That sure was embarrassing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope they look at Project Highrise when they get back
ss_4b9dddf0d856b5631242a87c09d5a91ee4827bb3.1920x1080.jpg

As long as it doesn't cross into personal attacks or otherwise being shitty, I don't see the harm in it. I can't blame people for wanting to know what the workflow situation is like at the site during dry spells. Besides, the only stuff to really talk about at the moment is the ER and the Bombcast, and those both have their own gaming side threads.

We can't really know if concerns over content are valid when we don't really have any context.

Yes, context is extremely important. The more I've learned about this stuff, the more I learn to almost never make assumptions of people's production pipelines because a huge amount of factors cause them to vary significantly. Not just recording/streaming hardware and software (a complicated mess on its own), but time, prep work, corporate involvement, etc. Sometimes weird stuff just happens because different things just happened to add up in a weird way in that time frame. I wish I could be on that side to see those factors in play.

Something I've always wondered is how much does CBSi govern their bandwidth. Do they have a weekly or monthly bandwidth cap they have to maintain? Is it a consistent amount each time or does it vary? How much of "consistency of content output" is based around bandwidth?

This is very valid, though I wonder how much an alternate setup would interfere with the current setup or if it could be done separately without interference. For as much trouble it may cause, I do have respect for their complicated setup allowing for uncompressed capture of all a/v in one go which seemingly avoids the need for post in most cases. I can imagine many files in the terabytes. Maybe they are very set in their ways about having all that video archived at extremely high quality that a cheaper alternative wouldn't give them.

BearPawB

Banned
Everyone was whining about Beast not putting out videos with dan there.
Turns out they were recording a secret endurance run.

So yeah, I don't understand the complaints about content.

Every PAX turns into people bitching about content

Xater

Premium content. There is a difference.

Bowlie

Banned

well, the majority of the complaints were (and are) in regard to West. Even so, "let's wait for a month until something great appears" isn't that satisfying.

edit: and what Xater said

Who was whining about Beast? Even before the ER, those dudes were doing Summerslam videos, Summer Games streams, Hitman stuff, VinnyVania, and Quick Looks. If anything, the only reasonable complaint there is that they didn't do too much premium stuff.

What exactly did the West Coast crew record in secret?

BearPawB

Banned
The one thing I will agree with is the "planning for pax" argument would be more convincing if it sounded like anyone actually planned for pax all that much.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
this seems more like a reading issue than a problem with the people who have explained their points.
Most complaints have been so general, it's hard to argue. "How hard can it be" is not a good explanation.
People were definitely bitching about not enough Dan content when he went east and now we got a full endurance run, because they recorded that while he was there.

skynidas

Banned
Yeah, not sure I understand the complaints right now.
That the west coast output has been terrible with a much better studio than East. And it's not only the week of pax, this has been going on for months. They are four people, they can do more.

BearPawB

Banned
That the west coast output has been terrible with a much better studio than East. And it's not only the week of pax, this has been going on for months. They are four people, they can do more.

we don't know their schedules/what bs CBS meetings they have to attend.

But there has been A LOT going on in their personal lives. Weddings, engagements, illness, vacations. For a lot of the past few weeks they have not exactly been at full capacity.

I think it is rude to assume the lack of premium content is because they are all just sitting on their ass at their computer doing nothing.

LiK

to be fair, i feel like the West crew reviews and plays more games than the Beast crew. Vinny usually plays whatever he wants and Alex is the main reviewer for them. So the West seems to have a bit more on the plate in terms of game coverage.

Zaph

Most complaints have been so general, it's hard to argue. "How hard can it be" is not a good explanation.
People were definitely bitching about not enough Dan content when he went east and now we got a full endurance run, because they recorded that while he was there.

West's premium content output and consistency has not been good for a long time.

There isn't really much more to it than that - it's not complicated.

BearPawB

Banned
To me, the biggest GBWest problem is that they have lost almost any spontaneity.
Unprofessional Fridays has become the most routine thing of all time.

Unprof Fridays are supposed to be the time of the week where they stream whatever they want. But now it has become, "here is some garbage i found on steam 5 minutes before the show starts".

and then we get a quick look of the same game in a few days.

skynidas

Banned
we don't know their schedules/what bs CBS meetings they have to attend.

But there has been A LOT going on in their personal lives. Weddings, engagements, illness, vacations. For a lot of the past few weeks they have not exactly been at full capacity.

I think it is rude to assume the lack of premium content is because they are all just sitting on their ass at their computer doing nothing.

It is not about being rude. They are running a business and people pay a significant amount of money for the premium subs. In a business you can't let personal stuff get in the way or people will leave.

Maiorum

I think it's possible to criticize the output of the team while not making presumptions about their work ethic or the course of their work days.

Top Bottom