• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Totally.
The city and the side missions are great. Most of the main missions are kinda boring (the
Golem City
one was good though.)
I'm almost done with the game (Mission 14 of 17) and I'm not sure if I'm gonna finish it. I might just wait a couple of weeks and then power through it.

The last mission is pretty cool too, some great stuff in there. Sadly there are some extenuating circumstances that make it tough to enjoy everything that is happening there.

imBask

Banned
I hope the Dead Rising 1 PC port has a "small and blurry text" option to honor everyone who played it on a non-HD TV back then

Slurmer

Banned
Current locks for the list:

Overwatch/Doom/Hitman/Stardew Valley/The Witness/Inside

Will be in the 9-12 range: Overcooked, Deus X

The other released games with a chance need to catch a break:

The if Brad fights for them division: Abzu/Obduction/Deus Ex Go/(Maybe) Grow Up
The if Jeff is randomly passionate about them division: The Division/SFV/Video Ball
The if anyone remembers them division: Bound/Salt and Sanctuary/Job Simulator
The if anyone decides to fight for them division: Dark Souls III/Furi
The if Alex gets to talk division: Quadrilateral Cowboy/Headlander

SFV making it would be equivalent to Destiny making it and I dont think Jeff/Jason are gonna pull a Brad. If a fighting game is going to make it, I'd much rather it be KOF14.

jaina

Are they waiting till tomorrow to do the Bombcast due to the long weekend? There is not timer today for it so im assuming its going to be late.

Speaking of the Bombcast, why did they switch from the numbering system to naming them? I really dont like the naming system. It was alot easier to look back at them in order if I wanted to listen to something from the past on my phone.
They have to record today in order to not miss Tuesday. Other live Bombcasts haven't appeared early on the schedule either.
They've thought about switching to names for a while.
There are podcast apps who can order by date.

Picross 3D: Round 2 could be a dark horse candidate for the goty list. They loved the first game, and Dan even imported it.
If Jeff and Brad (both excited for it) played it this weekend and haven't forgotten, it has a chance, yeah!
Dan did not import it in the end because a Japanese 3DS was too much.

FStop7

Banned
I think the GB top 10 will look something like this, in no particular order:

The Witness
Stardew Valley
DOOM
Inside
Firewatch
TitanFall 2
CoD: Infinite Worf
Hitman*
No Man's Sky
Dead Rising 4

* Hitman may not make the list for two reasons. First, did anyone other than Dan and Brad actually play it? Second, it's technically a 2017 release.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think the GB top 10 will look something like this, in no particular order:

The Witness
Stardew Valley
DOOM
Inside
Firewatch
TitanFall 2
CoD: Infinite Worf
Hitman*
No Man's Sky
Dead Rising 4

* Hitman may not make the list for two reasons. First, did anyone other than Dan and Brad actually play it? Second, it's technically a 2017 release.
Nobody but Dan played Stardew

And there's no way No Man's Sky will be on that list. Only one who actually likes it is Alex and he won't fight for that game.

How many times has GOTY come down to Jeff on one side vs. Brad on the other side

(answer: basically every time)

Jeff and Brad united? Unstoppable.

BearPawB

Banned
you can't be serious

it's Doom, why even try to create some fake suspense

IT'S DOOM

Maybe its just because i wasn't as in love with Doom as other people.
(I thought the last 3rd of the game dragged pretty heavily).

Doom is a very good, very fun first person shooter experience.

The Witness made me obsessed with a world in which I haven't been in forever. And both Brad and Jeff were completely absorbed in it.

I think you are right, that Doom is the odds on favorite.
But I would throw 10 bucks on Witness as the wild card

How many times has GOTY come down to Jeff on one side vs. Brad on the other side

(answer: basically every time)

Jeff and Brad united? Unstoppable.

both Jeff and Brad loved The Witness as well

Dark horse contender Dishonored 2 for top 3! Jeff and Jason seem excited for it and I can see if it gets reviewed especially well Dan and Alex taking a look at it. I'd also imagine if Austin does get some sort of say in GotY stuff like they joked about him fighting for it too.This is all assuming that game isn't just more Dishonored like I suspect it might be.

SummitAve

Banned
There's gotta be a couple mobile/iOS games in the top 10. Trying to think back and remember what the big releases were, they're have been so many this year.

imBask

Banned
Maybe its just because i wasn't as in love with Doom as other people.
(I thought the last 3rd of the game dragged pretty heavily).

Doom is a very good, very fun first person shooter experience.

The Witness made me obsessed with a world in which I haven't been in forever. And both Brad and Jeff were completely absorbed in it.

I think you are right, that Doom is the odds on favorite.
But I would throw 10 bucks on Witness as the wild card

both Jeff and Brad loved The Witness as well

I haven't even played DOOM yet, it's not about what I want, it's about what Jeff the crew wants

DOOM is winning. And tbh I think The Witness will fall out of the top 5. Mark my wooooords

Meneses

To me it is down to Doom or The Witness.

And I think the Witness could win that fight...

Nah... I think Doom has this on lock, Jeff and Brad absolutely love it so there's nobody left to pull the equivalent of a Bradibuster or Gerstmaneuver. The rest of the crew loved it as well (Dan was the least enthusiastic because he's all about Overwatch, but even he liked it).

I think everyone enjoyed The Witness but not in the same way.

Overwatch is the only game I see making a run for it. GBeast feels more on that camp but it falls on the opposite side of Doom, being that Jeff and Brad don't really care much for it anymore (actually, did Brad actually care for it?).

They'll probably like Titanfall2 because it seems to be COD with mechs now, so that could be a surprise.

Gonna be an interesting discussion even though i'm not really invested in any of their top games.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Not saying it won't be on there, but Hitman is a lock. It acocunts for ~15% of the content on the site this year, so not putting it on the list would be an actual crime

By that metric, the Dota store and "Trying to make that new classic doom level work" would have lapped the pack by now in the GOTY race.

BearPawB

Banned
Jeff and Brad are the people who would fight for the Witness against something else, but they both like Doom better.

I think people are forgetting how deep Brad went on the witness.
Doom they played for 12 hours, liked it and moved on.
Brad especially was ABSORBED by the witness.

Again, I think everyone is right that Doom is the clear favorite. But The Witness is the biggest dark horse to me

Meguro

Banned
Yeah DOOM is an absolute lock unless Jeff just absolutely falls in love with Titanfall 2 or the new COD.
And I don't see either happening.

I think people are forgetting how deep Brad went on the witness.
Doom they played for 12 hours, liked it and moved on.
Brad especially was ABSORBED by the witness.

It's Doom, Brad's sacred cow of a franchise that delivered a great game in 2016. He's not going to choose the Witness over that. The guy was talking about how he felt the need to own Doom on three different platforms like a week ago.

The Witness is at a disadvantage because it'll have been very nearly a year since they played it when it comes time to record GOTY discussions. Brad and Jeff will have forgotten how much they enjoyed it. (I hope this is not the case though).

I would be shocked if DOOM doesn't take #1.

Top Bottom