• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

TraBuch

Banned
So Virtua Fighter 5 is gonna be playable inside arcades in Yakuza 6.

How can Dan hate that series so much? It's so fucking bonkers.

No Man's Sky is my #2 GOTY and even I'll be annoyed if it's on their Top 10. Alex will mention it during the first round(s), say he liked it, he enjoyed his time with it, but that it's not worthy of inclusion in the top 10. It's clear that as a site, they're just not that into the game.

I expect to see Odin Sphere on Austin's Top 10 for sure though.

and that dumb nostalgia fps game might come out this year that they act like the gametrailersshenmue.gif guys over because remember bbs's

Strafe? Coming 2017.

Also, really weird to be so antagonistic about that game.

strafer

My favorite Bread moment

bradbomb.jpg

Strax

How in the world is Shenmue only 33 1/2 in Completionist part of How Long to Beat? The guy are three hours in and it feels like 0 progress.

So Virtua Fighter 5 is gonna be playable inside arcades in Yakuza 6.

How can Dan hate that series so much? It's so fucking bonkers.

Didnt the last Yakuza game have VF2 in it with completely functional online play?

For a serise that clearly doesnt sell all that much I love how nuts they are with that stuff.

Meguro

Banned
If you were to ask me right now I think WoW: Legion would be somewhere in my top 5 for the year.
I've been playing waaaaaaaay too much of it.
I even interrupted my playthrough of Yakuza 4 for it.
Legion QL when

strafer

If you were to ask me right now I think WoW: Legion would be somewhere in my top 5 for the year.
I've been playing waaaaaaaay too much of it.
I even interrupted my playthrough of Yakuza 4 for it.
Legion QL when

When Rorie is ready.

Scizzy

Current locks for the list:

Overwatch/Doom/Hitman/Stardew Valley/The Witness/Inside

Will be in the 9-12 range: Overcooked, Deus X

The other released games with a chance need to catch a break:

The if Brad fights for them division: Abzu/Obduction/Deus Ex Go/(Maybe) Grow Up
The if Jeff is randomly passionate about them division: The Division/SFV/Video Ball
The if anyone remembers them division: Bound/Salt and Sanctuary/Job Simulator
The if anyone decides to fight for them division: Dark Souls III/Furi
The if Alex gets to talk division: Quadrilateral Cowboy/Headlander

Eh. I just played through the early part where you have to get to your aug doctor. Felt like I had no option but to kill all the thugs. What have you been finding really good about it?

"I played an hour of this game and have no situational awareness, why are you guys wrong?"

does the gb video app on my phone play the video bombcast live? looking for a way to cast the feed to a tv at work so a couple of us can watch it. excited to hear some neo predictions, hopefully. it comes on at 2 EST, right?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Deus Ex is REALLY good you guys

It's...alright. I enjoy exploring the city (though the loading times are horrendous for me) way more than the actual missions of the game and every character is super boring. Also it's still waaaaaay too easy become a jack of all trades. I wish the game would kinda lock you out of some stuff if you go down a specific path. Having 20 options how to tackle objectives is cool, but being able to do them all makes it all feel a bit....pointless. I would enjoy the game more if it would force me more to commit to a certain playstyle so I actively have to look and find the path that's "made" for me.

Controversial opinion: the original Deus Ex was good, but not THAT good.

That's not an opinion, that's a straight up lie!

Ashby

theres like 3 ways to get to that doctor

Yeah, I noticed some grates and such after I got inside but there were SO many freakin' guys in that house that it felt like sneaking around and dispatching each one non-lethally would have taken forever so I felt encouraged to just blast my way though with the awesome shotgun Jeff talked about haha

I remember people freaking out because the shooting system in HR wasn't as complete jank as the original Deus Ex. And surprise, the shooting system in HR is still janky outside the pistol. And let's face it, everyone used the one-shotting lightsaber dragonsword in the original Deus Ex anyways to circumvent janky ass combat mechanics.

LiK

does the gb video app on my phone play the video bombcast live? looking for a way to cast the feed to a tv at work so a couple of us can watch it. excited to hear some neo predictions, hopefully. it comes on at 2 EST, right?

Nah, nothing live plays on the app. I wish.

Vic_Viper

The if Jeff is randomly passionate about them division: The Division/SFV/Video Ball

I really dont think they will be as kind to the Division as they would have been now that a few months have passed. Overwatch and Hitman though will be pretty high on the list. Thankfully Jeff doesnt seem that interested in Overwatch as much as the rest of the group and really seemed to like Deus Ex. Surprised more people on the staff haven't played/talked about Deus Ex yet. It really deserves a play through, its actually really really good compared to the rest of the games on the list so far.

Right now I would say the top games of the year will be:

Doom
Overwatch
Hitman
Uncharted 4
Stardew Valley
Inside
Deus Ex
the Division
and maybe Dark Souls 3

Deus Ex's greatness doesn't really lie in its mechanics (the stealth is rudimentary, the shooting is horrible) but more in how it pioneered stuff like non-linear levels and choice-based narratives. Obviously it was not the first game to EVER do either of these, but it certainly expanded on both ideas.

I always play stealth games non lethally if I have the option , and mankind divided is pretty good about giving non lethal options, so I'm enjoying it. It will tide me over till dishonored 2.

strafer

i dont know if i wanna play deux ex...shit looks complicated and the story seem headscratchy.

and im not a fan of the main characters voice.

Deus Ex's greatness doesn't really lie in its mechanics (the stealth is rudimentary, the shooting is horrible) but more in how it pioneered stuff like non-linear levels and choice-based narratives. Obviously it was not the first game to EVER do either of these, but it certainly expanded on both ideas.

I found that stuff to not be all that great, though. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the fact that you could do a lot of stuff semi-stealthily, but the choice-based narrative stuff has never really grabbed me outside of stuff like Telltale games.

Salarians

Eh. I just played through the early part where you have to get to your aug doctor. Felt like I had no option but to kill all the thugs. What have you been finding really good about it?
The world and the side missions, to be more specific. That mission didn't do much for me. I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I'm further in.
It's...alright. I enjoy exploring the city (though the loading times are horrendous for me) way more than the actual missions of the game and every character is super boring. Also it's still waaaaaay too easy become a jack of all trades. I wish the game would kinda lock you out of some stuff if you go down a specific path. Having 20 options how to tackle objectives is cool, but being able to do them all makes it all feel a bit....pointless. I would enjoy the game more if it would force me more to commit to a certain playstyle so I actively have to look and find the path that's "made" for me.
I get that. Now that I've leveled up a bunch I can get through pretty much any environmental hazards that I might come across. I imagine the overheating mechanic was meant to give you "one or the other" choices in augmentations, but playing as a full stealth/pacifist, there's only one I'd actually want.

I'm expecting Dishonored 2 to be the better game, mechanically, but Deus Ex's world and unique charm will probably make it the more enjoyable game for me.

Vic_Viper

Are they waiting till tomorrow to do the Bombcast due to the long weekend? There is not timer today for it so im assuming its going to be late.

Speaking of the Bombcast, why did they switch from the numbering system to naming them? I really dont like the naming system. It was alot easier to look back at them in order if I wanted to listen to something from the past on my phone.

Meneses

I got Deus Ex MD last Saturday and have been playing it.

I'm kinda bored with it to be honest, but I didn't love the previous one either so I don't think i'm the target audience for that game.

Also, the voice acting is kinda not great (not just Adam's voice which I guess is the dude's normal voice so that can't be helped), especially the boss man (which seems to be voiced by the Bennett guy from Commando).

Also also, if you can just play it on a PC, because on console it is ROUGH and definitely detracts from the experince.

At least it doesn't have a horrible artstyle like Dishonored, so it will probably still win the battle of "Stealth-em-ups" this fall.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The world and the side missions, to be more specific. That mission didn't do much for me. I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I'm further in.

Totally.
The city and the side missions are great. Most of the main missions are kinda boring (the
Golem City
one was good though.)
I'm almost done with the game (Mission 14 of 17) and I'm not sure if I'm gonna finish it. I might just wait a couple of weeks and then power through it.

Brad probably won't finish Obduction, he's not so hot on Grow Up, I don't think he ever talked about Deus Ex Go and he didn't seem to love Abzu
Jeff won't ever, ever, ever let Street Fighter V be on that list and nobody is going to fight for it. I don't think he ever talked about Video Ball?
Nobody will remember Bound or Salt&Sanctuary.
Dark Souls III will be the "another one of these" this year (and as much as I lov eDS3, I agree with that)

I don't think any of the games you listed will have a chance.
The only locks I see so far ar Doom (which will probably win), Hitman and The Witness.

Still a lot of potential in the last 4 months too, with Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1, Civ 6, The Last Guardian, and FF15. I could see some of those making an impact on the list.

Top Bottom