• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Minish Cap is legit good. I'm glad I'm not the only one that really like it. It's Top 5 for me. Majora's Mask is good, but it's not in my Top 5. I actually really liked Four Swords Adventure, too.

Edit: Drew is really quiet. Has he not played most of these? I think we need a new feature.

link's awakening is a formative and revolutionary game in the series that still remains charming and clever to this day

phantom hourglass is the one zelda game I will say is outright bad. it shits over wind waker, it steals the twist from link's awakening but makes it shitty, and it shits over you

link's awakening is a formative and revolutionary game in the series that still remains charming and clever to this day

phantom hourglass is the one zelda game I will say is outright bad. it shits over wind waker and it shits over you

it's better than spirit tracks

"Phantom Hourglass is a better game than Link's Awakening"

Oh Jeff. Ohhhhhhhhhhh Jeff.

FPjzNv3.gif

justjim89

Jeff is somehow the most elder statesman of game criticism and yet also the one with objectively the worst taste. It's baffling.

phantom hourglass is the one zelda game I will say is outright bad. it shits over wind waker, it steals the twist from link's awakening but makes it shitty, and it shits over you

it's like... PH is one of the few Nintendo games where I'm like "that's 100% coasting off gimmicks", so to see them fall for that shit is baffling

it has moments of novelty but it utterly fails to build an engaging adventure or brilliant level design around them, which literally every other Zelda game manages to do

meanwhile Spirit Tracks is brimming with life, great characters, brilliant dungeon design and a hell of a soundtrack (name one good PH tune?). the train stuff is cumbersome and definitely lets it down but even so, it's legit

I've got it

Jeff saying that Phantom Hourglass is better than Link's Awakening is legitimately equally as bad, if not worse, than Dan saying that Terminator 3 is better than The Terminator

Minish Cap is legit good. I'm glad I'm not the only one that really like it. It's Top 5 for me. Majora's Mask is good, but it's not in my Top 5. I actually really liked Four Swords Adventure, too.

Edit: Drew is really quiet. Has he not played most of these? I think we need a new feature.

I agree with all of this (aside from Drew being quiet since I'm not watching the live stream). The Minish Cap is definitely my favorite handheld Zelda. The Phantom Hourglass remains the only Zelda game I just can't bring myself to finish. The timed stealth dungeon that you constantly have to repeat was incredibly frustrating for me.

oti

Banned
Spirit Tracks is a good game so it's better than PH by default

(i've been sitting here trying to come up with an analogy from a different series for saying PH is better than LA and I'm stumped. The gulf in quality is that big)

The train game better than Phantom Hourglass?
You cray cray.

Spirit Tracks is a good game if you somehow take out, I don't know, 40% of it? There's nothing you can do to make Phantom Hourglass good short of tossing it and starting from scratch.

It's funny to hear Dan talk about NY vs. SF given that this week I'll probably find out whether I'm moving to New York City or the Bay Area.

I'm hoping for NY

Curufinwe

"Phantom Hourglass is a better game than Link's Awakening"

Oh Jeff. Ohhhhhhhhhhh Jeff.

Updated list of seminal games that Jeff either doesn't much care for or actively hates.

Link's Awakening
Resident Evil
FFVII
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us

KingKong

Updated list of seminal games that Jeff either doesn't much care for or actively hates.

Link's Awakening
Resident Evil
FFVII
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us

Half Life and MGS are the only standouts on that list to me. Those you cant really logically argue against but the others I can totally see someone not liking, especially if they didnt play them when they first came out

Link's Awakening
Resident Evil
FFVII
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us

This would make for a perfectly acceptable (if redundant) list of the top 9 games of the past 30 years

Curufinwe

Half Life and MGS are the only standouts on that list to me

RE4 is probably the highest rated and most influential of all of them.

When I originally brought it up someone mentioned Super Metroid, but I wasn't sure if he actually disliked that game. Anyone know for certain?

oti

Banned

Link's Awakening
Resident Evil
FFVII
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us

He's right about
Red Dead
though

SomberOwl

Does anyone know if Amazon is offering the Modern Warfare campaign 30 days early on PS4 for pre-ordering Infinite Warfare? I usually get my games through Amazon but if I can't get the MW campaign early I might pre-order somewhere else.

you all are insane. RE4's not even the most influential RE game ffs

You still have like a ton of games where dudes aim guns at people and the camera sits on their shoulder, I'm not sure what Resi 1 or 2 did that made more of a mark than that

besides the idea of "scary games" being mainstream I guess

Top Bottom