• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Zaph

Updated list of seminal games that Jeff either doesn't much care for or actively hates.

Link's Awakening
Resident Evil
FFVII
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
Accurate on all counts barring MGS.

Due to the nature of video games, supposedly seminal games just don't carry the same universal approval as other mediums.

LiK

Updated list of seminal games that Jeff either doesn't much care for or actively hates.

Link's Awakening
Resident Evil
FFVII
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us

also Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

You still have like a ton of games where dudes aim guns at people and the camera sits on their shoulder, I'm not sure what Resi 1 or 2 did that made more of a mark than that

besides the idea of "scary games" being mainstream I guess

so you're telling me a camera angle is on par with Half Life irrevocably altering the course of FPS games to this day

so you're telling me a camera angle is on par with Half Life irrevocably altering the course of FPS games to this day

No! I was addressing your point about Resi 4 not being the most influential Resi game. Obviously HL1 did way more. My initial post said HL2 and Resi 4 are about equal, once I edited for specificity.

if anything Call of Duty Modern Warfare radically altered FPS games more than Half Life. I mean, every FPS game practically has regenerating shields, a sprint button, and other things CoD revolutionized.

dhonk

You still have like a ton of games where dudes aim guns at people and the camera sits on their shoulder, I'm not sure what Resi 1 or 2 did that made more of a mark than that

besides the idea of "scary games" being mainstream I guess

We do?

Half Life's changed the course of SO many things its crazy. Im not sure RE4 is even halfway close in terms of influence. Edit: Oh HL2, I guess?

Resident Evil 4 still embarrasses pretty much every TPS on the market because it realizes that hiding from hitscan-equipped enemies is approximately zero fun.

Strax

if anything Call of Duty Modern Warfare radically altered FPS games more than Half Life. I mean, every FPS game practically has regenerating shields, a sprint button, and other things CoD revolutionized.

A Half Life mod has been one of the biggest video games in the world in over 15 years.

dhonk

A Half Life mod has been one of the biggest video games in the world in over 15 years.

Not to mention its influence on Steams adoption in the early days, microtransaction models, Competitive gaming, User Generated content models, etc etc.

Heck, that MW remake is taking inspect animations and they are clearly going to implement a CSGO style skin system.

What, I missed a Bombcast?

Why is the site so bad at announcing upcoming live content? I think I checked it a little over an hour before Bombcast started and there was nothing.

I'm still looking forward to watching all the premium content I've missed but this bums me out greatly. They need to be better at this.

Synthia Weires (GS Community Producer) says Danny is going to be "doing his own thing" in The Lobby YT Chat.

I guess that could be taken loads of ways, but maybe he's going to start his own site (which seems like a big move unless he has backing) or possibly go full Youtube. Maybe somewhere in between.

Best case scenario he doesn't get lost in the shuffle at another site.

hamchan

CoD4 is the most influential game of the past 10 years. Thanks to CoD4 we now have every single game trying to shoehorn in a RPG level up system because it's addictive.

Zaph

Synthia Weires (GS Community Producer) says Danny is going to be "doing his own thing" in The Lobby YT Chat.

I guess that could be taken loads of ways, but maybe he's going to start his own site (which seems like a big move unless he has backing) or possibly go full Youtube. Maybe somewhere in between.

Best case scenario he doesn't get lost in the shuffle at another site.
Someone pointed out that he was followed by a lot of Rooster Teeth people recently. Maybe he's doing his own thing with their backing/MCN?

Harpuia

We do?

Half Life's changed the course of SO many things its crazy. Im not sure RE4 is even halfway close in terms of influence. Edit: Oh HL2, I guess?

HL2 really only has the physics thing going for it. Probably one of the earlier games that made a big fuss about having realistic physics. It was also one of the first games that gave us what we now see in EVERY cinematic FPS game.

I think people are fond of RE4 because it was just a plain ol' good game.

CoD4 is the most influential game of the past 10 years. Thanks to CoD4 we now have every single game trying to shoehorn in a RPG level up system because it's addictive.

Dark Souls introduced the 'tough as shit but fair' design to a huge amount of indie games that were inspired by it. AAA games before DS blew up were pretty easy and afraid of frustrating the player. Toss up which game is more influential but I like what DS did to games more.

Anything not like having a giant cast like GS would probably be seen as doing his own thing. Especially if he's moving coasts in the meantime.
I think it's the Glixel thing now....wait, forget it, he said it's not another website. Now I think publisher side. Dammit.

Zaph

Seems to confirm solo career "I'm not going to another site"

Edit: and doesn't sound like he's leaving SF either

jaina

I guessed Danny's main reason would be financial stability for his family. Maybe moving out of SF is a later step.
From all the info we've gotten so far (if accurate) a solo games media thing is one of the only options that hasn't been repudiated.

hamchan

Well I hope it is RoosterTeeth then. As much as I don't really like RoosterTeeth, that would at least be going from a stable job to another one. Because leaving Gamespot to just become a solo YouTuber with no support doesn't sound like a good move.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Yeah, Modern Warfare ruined pretty much every single multiplayer game released since it came out with the need for "progression"

LiK

is it really RT? i don't think he fits in well with those crazy people. i still enjoy some of their videos but they all seem like they're high on energy drinks.

kai3345

Banned
Well I hope it is RoosterTeeth then. As much as I don't really like RoosterTeeth, that would at least be going from a stable job to another one. Because leaving Gamespot to just because a solo YouTuber with no support doesn't sound like a good move.

I said it a few pages back but I work for Rooster Teeth and I haven't heard any mumblings of us hiring Danny.

But also nobody really tells me anything here, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom