• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Spaghetti

I have always wanted Ryo's leather jacket

It was a backer reward on the Shenmue 3 kickstarter. Not sure if you can slack back the jacket though.
You can Slacker Back both for a replica of the jacket by Fangamer, and the original jacket worn by Ryo's Japanese voice actor/motion capture actor Masaya Matsukaze. They're both pretty pricey though.

Please tell me the voice acting is just as amazing in Shenmue II
Yes- although personally I don't think it has the endearingly terrible qualities of the original's English VO. I played Shenmue II in Japanese through the EU Dreamcast version though, so maybe that's colouring my opinion more.

Reminder that Shenmue's overarching story is supposed to be like a dozen "chapters" in which Shenmue 1 is Chapter 1, and Shenmue 2 is the next three or four chapters or something.

Tagyhag

Finally finished last week's Beastcast. Don't know why people thought it was lame. Pat Baer is the same as he was during Fiasco.

I was expecting something really cringey.

Any word on how many chapters Shenmue 3 will cover?

Seven to somewhere before the 16th. Shenmue 3 isn't wrapping up the story. Greatest part of being a Shenmue fan is the madness never ends.

Reminder that Shenmue's overarching story is supposed to be like a dozen "chapters" in which Shenmue 1 is Chapter 1, and Shenmue 2 is the next three or four chapters or something.

Chapter 2 is a comic taking places between 1 and 2. It's seemingly throwaway because jumping to Shenmue 2's Chapter 3 doesn't miss out on much.

Toparaman

Banned

Which is fucking lunacy by the way. Shenmue 1 was an extremely expensive game for its time.

Dunno, but I seem to recall Suzuki saying it's not even the conclusion of the series. Which, again, is fucking lunacy.

Spaghetti

Ok it's like 70% of the game, 10% action, and the last 20% forklifts.
10%? Nah, that's disingenuous. Action starts ramping up from Disk 2 onwards, and the peak of it comes during the forklifting where you're getting into fights and action sequences literally every day the story progresses; sometimes multiple ones per night.

This. Dan & co are going to be pretty surprised in the change of pace if they do Shenmue II. The first "quest" is fairly action packed to hammer home that Hong Kong is absolutely not small town Japan, and Ryo is a total fish out of water. It still has the down-time investigative sequences but they're punctuated a lot better with action to help string them along.

Shenmue II's Kowloon segment is pretty relentless in action, the final set piece is basically
The Raid

Yu Suzuki has said something about this, but I'm failing to draw a source quote. From memory, it continues chapter 5 where Shenmue II left off, and moves onto 6 and 7, I believe.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

god this game is so fucking stupid.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You can Slacker Back both for a replica of the jacket by Fangamer, and the original jacket worn by Ryo's Japanese voice actor/motion capture actor Masaya Matsukaze. They're both pretty pricey though.

Eh, depending on the quality, but that the average price I'll pay for a good leather jacket, even more sometimes.

A good one from yves saint laurent run for about 7k.

Spaghetti

Which is fucking lunacy by the way. Shenmue 1 was an extremely expensive game for its time.
They never really intended to make one chapter per game. Shenmue, before it was split into what became Shenmue and Shenmue II, was meant to be the first volume of a two-part story (kind of like how some mangas release).

Dunno, but I seem to recall Suzuki saying it's not even the conclusion of the series. Which, again, is fucking lunacy.
The reason given is that the series would not reach a satisfactory conclusion if the remaining story was crammed into one Kickstarter-funded game, which is respectable and fairly logical. I'd rather see Shenmue III play out at an appropriate pace and leave the story to be continued than for a rushed, truncated end.

Might be delving into spoiler territory here (gleaned from Yu Suzuki's comments, and information on Shenmue/III's plan) for III, so I'll mark it so nobody gets spoiled in passing:
Shenmue III is meant to close the main revenge story arc started in the first game and will feature the confrontation with Lan Di, but Shenmue has always meant to have a secondary arc that picks up after that. So there will be an 'ending' to the series of sorts in III for some degree of closure if IV can't happen.

FStop7

Banned
Yu Suzuki has said something about this, but I'm failing to draw a source quote. From memory, it continues chapter 5 where Shenmue II left off, and moves onto 6 and 7, I believe.

I cringed pretty hard when I heard that because I was hoping for the story to reach a conclusion. I get the feeling that Yu Suzuki is still overly ambitious.

Spaghetti

Eh, depending on the quality, but that the average price I'll pay for a good leather jacket, even more sometimes.

A good one from yves saint laurent run for about 7k.
Ultimately you're paying a huge mark up because of it being a premium collector's item (in the case of the original jacket, the only one ever made) and a pledge that they need to use towards game development.

Still, the prototype images they showed of the jacket look a lot more accurate and better quality than the one Insert Coin shoved out.

Spaghetti

I cringed pretty hard when I heard that because I was hoping for the story to reach a conclusion. I get the feeling that Yu Suzuki is still overly ambitious.
It does reach a conclusion of sorts... My spoiler above your post goes into it, but I wouldn't read it if you want to go into Shenmue III fresh and unspoiled. I only know this stuff because I pour over information about the series pretty frequently.

I don't think it's over-ambition, I think it's a case of "if you're not going to do it properly, don't do it at all". I don't think Yu or the fans will be satisfied if they cut the remaining story to ribbons and stitched it together just to reach an accelerated ending; I know I certainly wouldn't.

LiK

Dan reiterated that he won't have kids. looking forward to the tweet when he announces Bianca is pregnant.

Man, was not ready for The Lobby. There's only very few people that I care about on Gamespot now(Mary Kish, Peter Brown & very recently Alexa), which is kind of sad since I've been following that site since around 2004. Getting around to the Bombcast now since I missed it.

Seeing as how this is the month of announcements, I have a very major one that will change my life in a very big way however, that is if everything lined up this week and if it did i'll talk about it here to ask advice from you dudes. Which is also why I've been very busy this past week or so.

Dan isn't right about everything.

LusAsUL.png

Current locks for the list:

Overwatch/Doom/Hitman/Stardew Valley/The Witness/Inside

Will be in the 9-12 range: Overcooked, Deus X

The other released games with a chance need to catch a break:

The if Brad fights for them division: Abzu/Obduction/Deus Ex Go/(Maybe) Grow Up
The if Jeff is randomly passionate about them division: The Division/SFV/Video Ball
The if anyone remembers them division: Bound/Salt and Sanctuary/Job Simulator
The if anyone decides to fight for them division: Dark Souls III/Furi
The if Alex gets to talk division: Quadrilateral Cowboy/Headlander

We still got these games coming out though...

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Forza Horizon 3
Final Fantasy XV
Mafia III
Gears of War 4
Rez Infinite
Dragon Quest Builders
Battlefield 1
Civilization VI
The Last Guardian
Titanfall 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remaster
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Dishonored 2
Dead Rising 4
South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Recently, Owlboy was announced to be released on November 1. It's a damn good year.

Owlboy.gif

Lijik

I love it a lot but Grow Up is going to get runners up for best looking at best, I dont see Brad fighting for a game he gave 3 stars on the top ten list

Mr. F

Banned
I love it a lot but Grow Up is going to get runners up for best looking at best, I dont see Brad fighting for a game he gave 3 stars on the top ten list

I was kind of surprised he reviewed it at all - he didn't sound all that excited for it during the QL or bombcast discussions.

Toparaman

Banned
The reason given is that the series would not reach a satisfactory conclusion if the remaining story was crammed into one Kickstarter-funded game, which is respectable and fairly logical. I'd rather see Shenmue III play out at an appropriate pace and leave the story to be continued than for a rushed, truncated end.

Might be delving into spoiler territory here (gleaned from Yu Suzuki's comments, and information on Shenmue/III's plan) for III, so I'll mark it so nobody gets spoiled in passing:
Shenmue III is meant to close the main revenge story arc started in the first game and will feature the confrontation with Lan Di, but Shenmue has always meant to have a secondary arc that picks up after that. So there will be an 'ending' to the series of sorts in III for some degree of closure if IV can't happen.
That's fair, and it's good that the
Lan Di arc will conclude.
I was under the impression that it would still be unresolved at the end of 3.

We still got these games coming out though...

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Forza Horizon 3
Final Fantasy XV
Mafia III
Gears of War 4
Rez Infinite
Dragon Quest Builders
Battlefield 1
Civilization VI
The Last Guardian
Titanfall 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remaster
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Dishonored 2
Dead Rising 4
South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Recently, Owlboy was announced to be released on November 1. It's a damn good year.

IMG]http://www.journaldugamer.com/files/2016/08/Owlboy.gif[/IMG]

Of those, Rez Infinite, depending on the new content, and FFXV stand out as contenders. Maybe Mafia 3 is a surprise, or Dishonored clicks with them this time. Rest are iterative, not very exciting sequels, or The Last Guardian.

Was about to say no Nintendo games in the top ten, but Mario Maker 3DS is this year. #1 two years in a row.

Lijik

I feel like Dishonored II would have had the best chance if Austin was still with the site since he seemed the most interested in it

FStop7

Banned
Is there a quick look of the Battlefield 1 beta? I want to hear what they have to say about the train. It's Mario Kart tier rubberbanding for the losing team except it doesn't actually work. All it does is make a big chunk of the map inaccessible for 10 to 20 minutes because it's a death zone. It completely fucks the game.

Between this and the rubberbanding in Overwatch it's kind of bleak for competitive shooters. COD has always had such aggressive aim assist on consoles but now it may be the "purest" shooter.

justjim89

I see Dishonored 2 getting severely overlooked. Dishonored 1 is the best game of the last generation and the only one that cared about it was Patrick.

Is there a quick look of the Battlefield 1 beta? I want to hear what they have to say about the train. It's Mario Kart tier rubberbanding for the losing team except it doesn't actually work. All it does is make a big chunk of the map inaccessible for 10 to 20 minutes because it's a death zone. It completely fucks the game.

Between this and the rubberbanding in Overwatch it's kind of bleak for competitive shooters. COD has always had such aggressive aim assist on consoles but now it may be the "purest" shooter.

Uh

There's no rubberbanding in Overwatch. Unless you mean the spawn points changing as a payload is moved?

I'm assuming each map has a varient of that, be it the train or zeppelin, but it sucked in the beta map, and there's a lot that sucked in the beta map. Unless you were fighting around C, it was a mess of snipers or folks in tanks controlling the game.

Time to choose which games I don't mind getting spoiled for me because there's no way in hell I'm getting through every 2016 release I wanted to. Used to skip some awards to avoid spoilers, but I don't want to live that paranoid-for-spoilers life this year.

LiK

Time to choose which games I don't mind getting spoiled for me because there's no way in hell I'm getting through every 2016 release I wanted to. Used to skip some awards to avoid spoilers, but I don't want to live that paranoid-for-spoilers life this year.

If you don't plan on playing them, watch a LP beforehand.

Top Bottom