• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Strax

Theory

I haven't been enjoying UPF at all since they moved and I think its because the studio is so dark and colorless.

Edit: well, not colorless but lacking warmth

FStop7

Banned
Theory

I haven't been enjoying UPF at all since they moved and I think its because the studio is so dark and colorless.

I keep wondering when they're going to put up some of the decorations from the old set.

I saw a clip from the first Drew/Alexis Halo-thon and I forgot that the set used to have a giant Nyan Cat on the wall.

Theory

It's pretty dull. They said a closed set wouldn't impact too much but it kind of obviously has for me.

Mr. F

Banned
Watching the premium subscription commercial on the GB YouTube after some time is kind of funny - 6 shows and 1 podcast advertised have been discontinued. Granted they've introduced stuff since, but interesting to note how much content has rotated in/out (I forgot about Pathfinder, for the better).

Also recognizing that they take more effort in production and editing, but I really miss some of the one-off stuff like How to make a UPF or Vinny fixing his Joust cabinet. How to Build a Beast was a nice return to that a while ago.

Oh man, my first live UPF.

I am so ready, fam.
Woooo
t1473458400z4.png

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I just re-upped my subscription for the first time since May of 2015...point me in the way of the best Premium content that I have missed!

Yeah I agree the UPF set lacks a certain something. I don't like the closed off darkness and there is little personality. I hope they consider some design adjustments at some point in the future.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Having stuff is for people born before the 80s

Yeah I agree the UPF set lacks a certain something. I don't like the closed off darkness and there is little personality. I hope they consider some design adjustments at some point in the future.
I always thought the current look is temporary.

So is Shenmue's VO more lively in Japanese?

The English acting is like everyone is trying to do their best Lightning from FFXIII impression.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really appreciate Shenmue's 'no, fuck you. you didn't do it right, and now you're being punished for it. no you don't get to instantly retry it, dumbass.'

It's refreshing.

Mr. F

Banned
Decided to pop in on No Man's Sky's twitter to see if they'd come back since going dark almost a month ago, now that things have quieted down a bit. Still nothing, crazy.

Has there been any communication from them besides patch notes?

Nope.

Basically "hey here is a new patch that kills some bugs" and thats about it.

Maybe they are working on a big patch that adds a bunch of stuff and want it to speak for itself. Or maybe the jig is up and they are waiting for the sales money to process through and will fly the coop

Zaph

Decided to pop in on No Man's Sky's twitter to see if they'd come back since going dark almost a month ago, now that things have quieted down a bit. Still nothing, crazy.
The longer they leave it, the more obvious it is that the missing features are nowhere close to being done and patched in, which is a real bad look considering they were still talking about some of them not long before release.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I really appreciate Shenmue's 'no, fuck you. you didn't do it right, and now you're being punished for it. no you don't get to instantly retry it, dumbass.'

It's refreshing.

A depressing amount of Shenmue is refreshing in 2016. It's still a rather unique game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A depressing amount of Shenmue is refreshing in 2016. It's still a rather unique game.

Deadly Premonition is the only kind of similar game i can think of. I love the Yakuza series but they don't really have the weird campiness Shenmue has.

The longer they leave it, the more obvious it is that the missing features are nowhere close to being done and patched in, which is a real bad look considering they were still talking about some of them not long before release.
I really thought they'd have at least one meaningful patch by now. They have made a more compelling case for Most Disappointing than I anticipated.
I'm falling dangerously behind this Endurance Run
That happened to me with every Endurance Run so far, and I never went back and finished them. I won't let that happen this time.

No_Style

It's refreshing.

Are you referring to the time of day stuff? That's par for the course in most games that run on a schedule.

It's been a long time since I've seen Shenmue in action. I had forgotten how much of it was an adventure game. A slow plodding adventure game with "incredible" voice acting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are you referring to the time of day stuff? That's par for the course in most games that run on a schedule.

It's been a long time since I've seen Shenmue in action. I had forgotten how much of it was an adventure game. A slow plodding adventure game with "incredible" voice acting.

No, stuff like the pool game.

No_Style

No, stuff like the pool game.

Ah yes. That kind of stuff happens all the time in Deus Ex: HR and MD with hacking and dialog. Even Fallout 3 and beyond with its hacking mini-games too now that I think about it. Locking yourself out of opportunities if you screw up even happens in Doom 2016 if you aren't careful with how you progress.

Mr. F

Banned
Has there been any communication from them besides patch notes?

I really thought they'd have at least one meaningful patch by now. They have made a more compelling case for Most Disappointing than I anticipated.

Nothing at all. You'd think for the kind of game it is they would have some kind of post-launch PR plan of highlighting player discoveries or something, but engagement on any level with the community seems to be dead in the water.

Top Bottom