• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Anyone trying to defend 3DS Mario Maker level sharing fuckery?

that anybody is even considering buying this version is confusing to me, but yeah there are people who are specifically saying that it's not a big deal that you can't download specific levels. even speaking as someone who doesn't have much interest in making my own levels, if I can't choose the levels that I want to play then what's the goddamned point? some people have no fucking perspective and those posts usually usually just to the right of an Iwata ribbon.

Volotaire

that anybody is even considering buying this version is confusing to me, but yeah there are people who are specifically saying that it's not a big deal that you can't download specific levels. even speaking as someone who doesn't have much interest in making my own levels, if I can't choose the levels that I want to play then what's the goddamned point? some people have no fucking perspective and those posts usually usually just to the right of an Iwata ribbon.

Wait, there's only 100 Mario Challenge? Do you mean you cannot select custom levels to play from the search like the Wii U version? I was under the assumption it would omit any levels that were not compatible from the search.

Xater

Wait, there's only 100 Mario Challenge? Do you mean you cannot select custom levels to play from the search like the Wii U version? I was under the assumption it would omit any levels that were not compatible from the search.

There is no such thing as a search. You can only get specific levels when you share them locally with other users of the 3DS game.

Strax

There is no search. Just random levels that are compatible and some new Nintendo levels.

Not all of them. They also produce stinkers just like everyone else does.

But they seem to have a better track record when it comes to stinkers/good playing. Also even the stinkers tend to play good.

Their practices are terrible though. That they still don't have a real account system for multiple devices and online purchases is just crazy.

If they offered the 100 Mario Challenge mode as like... a £7 download on 3DS, I'd consider getting it. I like the idea of booting up my 3DS and just playing random Mario levels. If it was offered in a similar fashion to that WiiWare game that just served as a repository for WarioWare D.I.Y. microgames, that'd be cool.

But I'm not buying Mario Maker 3DS. Fuck everything about that.

oti

Banned
Picross 3D 2 is my most wanted game 2016. I'm excited about FF XV too but I know I will love Picross 3D 2. Can't wait.

BearPawB

Banned
I don't even understand why.
Like surely it is technically possible?
Maybe its a storage issue? How big are the wii u levels?

Volotaire

It can't be storage, 3DS SD cards can take care (5GB for SD Card + internal) of that and the Wii U base model has 3GB usable of 8GB. Levels are small too. 3DS games can run on SD cards too. Read speed maybe? (flash in built storage vs SD speeds - assuming Nintendo assumes people use SD cards as a primary method of storage for 3DS).

That would still be very odd since it does not answer why a proportion of online functionality is not in there.

derFeef

I don't think so, storage is a user specific uncertainty on every console anyway and I doubt those levels are big. Must really be a "strategic" decision because whatever.

oti

Banned
Between that, superior dual-audio Rhythm Paradise and Pokemon, 3DS is set for a pretty fucking lit end-of-year

I want all of them and Mario Maker too. I know the 3DS version is far inferior but all I want is infinite Mario on the go so I'm good.

Sun > Moon

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is that the compatibility between the two versions is not great. So the only ones you actually get to play are either build on the 3DS or manually selected by Nintendo.

Jintor

i know ninty has been doing a big shake up over the last... forever... or so but I still get the distinct feeling sometimes the right hand isn't talking to the left hand

this is apart from the traditional feeling that NCL is still throttling NOA while NOE does its own thing

I'm guessing the levels where a Bill Launcher sitting on Bowser flying on a cloud is shitting out 100 Goombas a second and there's a million fireballs shooting out the ground crash the 3DS pretty hard.

derFeef

My guess is that the compatibility between the two versions is not great. So the only ones you actually get to play are either build on the 3DS or manually selected by Nintendo.

3DS levels are only compatible with 3DS levels... no? If not, make it so.

I'm guessing the levels where a Bill Launcher sitting on Bowser flying on a cloud is shitting out 100 Goombas a second and there's a million fireballs shooting out the ground crash the 3DS pretty hard.

You can restrict it, and who says you aren't making those levels yourself.

There is no logical explanation.

hamchan

3DS Mario Maker is shit on purpose so that when they release NX Mario Maker it'll be more than you ever expected.

Anyways Phoenix Wright out today, Dragon Quest 7 next week, SMTIV:Apocalypse the week after, Pokemon later this year. This last gasp of the 3DS has been impressive.

You can restrict it, and who says you aren't making those levels yourself.

There is no logical explanation.

I dunno, man. Actually I guess some of the levels in the Direct footage looked fairly hectic, so I have no idea.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, I thought people wanted to share levels they made on the WiiU with the 3DS. But I guess there's no reason to just share between 3DS, your're right.

graboids

Dan mentioned this in one of the episodes....

2882963-tomiibo.jpg

Mario Maker 3DS, as with so much Nintendo does, is aimed squarely at Japanese kids in the schoolyard.

Makes it very easy to ignore, and I doubt Nintendo gives a shit.

One thing I hope they do in the Endurance Run is stop using the map so much and learn the area. I dont think I used it once when I played it and I think it added to the feel that it was a real place and people there knew you.

One thing I hope they do in the Endurance Run is stop using the map so much and learn the area. I dont think I used it once when I played it and I think it added to the feel that it was a real place and people there knew you.

I mean the town area they keep getting lost in is like three roads. it's a bit worrying how bad they are at directions and landmarks.

Meneses

I just turned my 3DS on for the first time in about 2 years, Sega 3D classics are on sale right now in Europe.

Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 2, oh yeah

I mean the town area they keep getting lost in is like three roads. it's a bit worrying how bad they are at directions and landmarks.
I'd wager that's largely a by-product of playing it as a group and it being recorded.
Makes for a different way of internalising & observing the game, less "in it", if that makes sense?

Its actually going to be pretty interesting to hear the Beast Crews and the East Crew talk about the PS4 Pro on the next 2 podcasts and compare opinions from the people who where actually there seeing it live versus those who where not.

I kind of wish I could buy a cheap HDR PC monitor I could plug a PS4 into. I need a new PC monitor and there is no way in hell I am going 4k.

Top Bottom