• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

If you liked Downton Abbey (or are into period dramas at all), watch Doctor Thorne on Amazon Prime video. I loved it and haven't had the opportunity to tell people to watch it.

TraBuch

Banned
So I've been listening to this fictional podcast called "Hello From The Magic Tavern" about a guy that wanders into an alternate dimension and happens to have some podcast equipment so he records interviews with various locals (wizards, goblins, bards, etc) at a tavern and he takes emails and in episode 16, he read an email by someone named Dave Lang saying Chicago is filled with alcoholics.

Is Dave Lang a listener of "Hello From The Magic Tavern"?!

Also, highly recommend it. It's pretty hilarious.

Jintor

So I've been listening to this fictional podcast called "Hello From The Magic Tavern" about a guy that wanders into an alternate dimension and happens to have some podcast equipment so he records interviews with various locals (wizards, goblins, bards, etc) at a tavern and he takes emails and in episode 16, he read an email by someone named Dave Lang saying Chicago is filled with alcoholics.

that's an amazing premise

Watching Vinny make the joke about the mini-dart thing and then doing the little imagination thing with Espio taking his Hornet, that's so dadlike of him haha.

kingocfs

Strep is the absolute fucking worst. Got it a few Halloweens ago and I couldn't even drink water without being in excruciating pain.

I will subscribe to that under one condition. Does the host play it totally straight, as if the whole premise of the podcast is true?

Bowlie

Banned
He does at first, Sleepy, but after a dozen or so episodes he starts to break the 4th wall more and more. I stopped listening because of that in ep. 50 or something.

And he is, Trabuch; they are also close with the CAH people. It's worth mentioning that the host of Hello From The Magic Tavern workes on the Jackbox games.

TraBuch

Banned
He does at first, Sleepy, but after a dozen or so episodes he starts to break the 4th wall more and more. I stopped listening because of that in ep. 50 or something.

Yeah, it's all in character
I will subscribe to that under one condition. Does the host play it totally straight, as if the whole premise of the podcast is true?
Does he? I'm 17 episodes in and he seems to still be playing it straight.

That's interesting what Jeff said there. Hopefully we get more 7th Guest on the site!
Yeah.

I imagine the host is part of a community acting troupe, and he gets his buddies to 'role play' for his podcast. Still, it sounds like a neat premise.
I'm going to give it a go. I love that kind of stuff.

No!
Yeah, it's all in character.

Yes!

Catvoca

Banned

The show is recorded in Chicago with a bunch of improvisers from there and I think they're friendly with the cards against humanity people, so it's safe to say that Lang is aware of them.

It's a good show, I got into it earlier this year and enjoy it a lot. It's sometimes a little samey, but it's one of the better improv based podcasts out there.

Bowlie

Banned
The ep where Flower is introduced is the funniest of all of them.

edit: at first they introduce original concepts to Foon, the world where the fiction happens, but after a while they just keep imitating things from real life with a small twist.

Like a boxer that is almost the same as a boxer that really existed, but he has a slightly different name.

Yes
19UygAuh.png

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah, I got the feeling it was being improvised at times. I've noticed a few times where someone breaks character and can't hold in their laughter.

Catvoca

Banned
Yeah, I got the feeling it was being improvised at times. I've noticed a few times where someone breaks character and can't hold in their laughter.

The performers are all trained improvisers. The guest usually just gives them a heads up as to what sort of character they're playing and they go from there.

Edit:
The ep where Flower is introduced is the funniest of all of them.

edit: at first they introduce original concepts to Foon, the world where the fiction happens, but after a while they just keep imitating things from real life with a small twist.

Like a boxer that is almost the same as a boxer that really existed, but he has a slightly different name.

Yeah, I've only listened to the first maybe 40 eps before I got a little bored largely because of the stuff you mentioned where the "earth refrences" jokes got way out of hand. I keep meaning to go back to it though.

Jintor

I just realised the reason why I keep getting confused as fuck whenever anyone on anything talks about the Running Man is because I keep thinking about the South Korean variety show called the same thing

TraBuch

Banned
The dude that plays Usidore is absolutely fantastic.
I just realised the reason why I keep getting confused as fuck whenever anyone on anything talks about the Running Man is because I keep thinking about the South Korean variety show called the same thing

Infinite Challenge >

kai3345

Banned
Hah!

It's not as bad as they say, no. Traffic is not great, but you don't have to live so far from downtown as they do in SF. Cost of living (I live very close to downtown) is noooowhere close to SF. Austin is fucking great.

Yeah I love it here. I've made a few trips to California for business and it seems like a nightmare.

Hah!

It's not as bad as they say, no. Traffic is not great, but you don't have to live so far from downtown as they do in SF. Cost of living (I live very close to downtown) is noooowhere close to SF. Austin is fucking great.

Austin is pretty rad but like most cities, I can't really imagine living near or within it.

LOL that fly is enormous!
Yeah I love it here. I've made a few trips to California for business and it seems like a nightmare.
There are great parts of California though. I grew up in Northern (actual Northern, not Bay Area) and went to school in San Diego. I love both those places.
Austin is pretty rad but like most cities, I can't really imagine living near or within it.
I love living in big cities. Sometime you just need to get a taco at 2 in the morning. But yeah, Austin is not a forever thing for me.

Top Bottom