• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Most disappointing has to come down to SFV or NMS. Dark horse might be Sony with PSVR and Pro (especially when you take in the reaction from Jeff)

Most disappointing has to come down to SFV or NMS. Dark horse might be Sony with PSVR and Pro (especially when you take in the reaction from Jeff)

For my money, most disappointing is SF5 (for myself and the crew, in all likelihood), but hottest mess is NMS. And I say that in spite of SF5 installing a goddamn rootkit on PCs.

Zornack

SFIV was great and NMS had a big "this'll be good only if they actually deliver" attached to it. I deferentially think SFV will take home the gold.

For my money, most disappointing is SF5 (for myself and the crew, in all likelihood), but hottest mess is NMS. And I say that in spite of SF5 installing a goddamn rootkit on PCs.

I just feel like SFV had much greater mindshare at Giant Bomb. No Man's Sky is really most disappointing and biggest mess, but I just feel like after release GB kind of ignored it.

That rootkit though... too damn funny.

jbug617

Banned
They are wrong. They say they care about the lack of a dumb arcade mode bit come oooooon who cares about that really?

It's more about the other stuff like no story mode, needing to play survival to unlock colors, costumes and stage pricing. The gameplay is there.

They are wrong. They say they care about the lack of a dumb arcade mode bit come oooooon who cares about that really?
The initial game was disappointing, and it just wouldn't stop disappointing all year long. It'd be high on my list, and I wasn't as hyped for it as some of those guys.

I feel like hottest mess is the more external category, as in the blowback from the gaming community in general, which NMS easily has locked up. Most disappointing is more personal, and SF V is a strong contender based on Jeff and Jason's comments. Though the Pro is coming in as a late game dark horse for that category.

Do they talk about the PS4 Pro in a negative light on the Bombcast? I haven't finished it, but have no idea where this Most Disappointing talk is coming from in relation to the Pro.

SFV
Was
Not
Disappointing

Everything except the fighting is bad. Survival mode is awful. The netcode is... okayish, but matchmaking is slow. It had no content.

Bottom line, unless you have people to play with locally, it's kind of a bummer, doubly so at launch. They did the bare minimum or less in every category.

I understand where you're coming from, but you have to see why it would be disappointing to a lot of people. Hell, it didn't even have proper party support at launch. Even now, the store has such an awful interface, it's like they don't even want to sell you things. Like, how are you gonna launch a fighting game without even a basic vs CPU option? It was clearly rushed.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel like people were more excited about the 8th re-release of Street Fighter IV than Street Fighter V. That game came and went and nobody cared.

Most disappointing is hard to judge for the GB crew because almost none of the crew really gets hyped for anything anymore (with good reason). They always stay pretty even keel through the pr cycle of a game, so they rarely board the hype train. The only one I can think of that had high expectations of anything this year is Jason with SF5, so it may win by default.

FStop7

Banned
Do they talk about the PS4 Pro in a negative light on the Bombcast? I haven't finished it, but have no idea where this Most Disappointing talk is coming from in relation to the Pro.

Remember what happened the last time they (Dan, specifically) spoke ill of Sony? Boyes got all twisted over it on the after hours show.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What if Shenmue sweeps in and wins both "Hottest Mess" and "Most Disappointing". I think there is a real chance that could happen.

oti

Banned
Everything except the fighting is bad. Survival mode is awful. The netcode is... okayish, but matchmaking is slow. It had no content.

Bottom line, unless you have people to play with locally, it's kind of a bummer, doubly so at launch. They did the bare minimum or less in every category.

I understand where you're coming from, but you have to see why it would be disappointing to a lot of people. Hell, it didn't even have proper party support at launch. Even now, the store has such an awful interface, it's like they don't even want to sell you things. Like, how are you gonna launch a fighting game without even a basic vs CPU option? It was clearly rushed.

The fighting is god-tier and it's a fighting game.

The content was bad, selling it for 60€ was a terrible idea. But the fighting was still god-tier.

The netcode worked perfectly for me on PC.

I don't care about the store.

I agree that the way Capcom handled this game was atrocious. That doesn't change the fact that the game delivered on what is the most important thing: the fighting.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If the fighting is so good, the fact that the actual game is a pile of rank garbage is even more disappointing isn't it?

oti

Banned
If the fighting is so good, the fact that the actual game is a pile of rank garbage is even more disappointing isn't it?
Isn't the fighting the actual game?
The SFV defense force in this thread astounds me
People like to bash on SFV for no good reason. I get the content was sparse at the beginning and again, Capcom deserves to be criticized for ruining this game's perception, but it's still the best fighting game out there.

FluxWaveZ

Literally everything that isn't "But the shooting kicking feels so good"

I guess I see what you mean? Like, the fighting is great, so then the other elements around it should be great to complement that? I see.

It's still a fighting game, however, and if most of one's time with it is spent fighting someone else and that's at least the part that has been well executed on, that's a good thing.

Strax

Isn't the fighting the actual game?

People like to bash on SFV for no good reason. I get the content was sparse at the beginning and again, Capcom deserves to be criticized for ruining this game's perception, but it's still the best fighting game out there.

You say that like everybody wants the same things out of a fight game. After the last 2 MK games a story mode like that is a must for me to even think about buying the game at $60

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I guess I see what you mean? Like, the fighting is great, so then the other elements around it should be great to complement that? I see.

It's still a fighting game, however, and if most of one's time with it is spent fighting someone else and that's at least the part that has been well executed on, that's a good thing.

Sure, but if most of your time isn't spent playing against people online, then it fails to meet minimum standards set by decades of the genre and that series itself. It's a huge step down if you don't want to get competitive online.

Giganteus

Here's something I've been curious about: Is SFV's fighting much better than the previous entries to warrant people saying how good it is, or is it just as good as it has always been? I can't tell.

oti

Banned
You say that like everybody wants the same things out of a fight game. After the last 2 MK games a story mode like that is a must for me to even think about buying the game at $60

This isn't the "Games I would gladly pay $60 for award".

And your point doesn't make much sense. You don't want a fighting game, you want a story mode. That's alright, SFV has that after a free update. But the most important part still is the fighting itself.

oti

Banned
Wasn't Destiny in the running for "most disappointing"? And the shooting in that game also felt great. Sooo......it's gonna happen oti, whether you like it or not.

That's totally different. :p
Saying SFV is disappointing in the same way Destiny was disappointing is like saying chess is disappointing because there's only one board to play on.

The SFV Malware patch keeps it in the conversation.

Kind of curious if the Palmer Luckey stuff will be tackled at all given the... recent events, though.

BearPawB

Banned
It doesn't matter if the fighting is good if everything else in the game makes me not want to play it.

The initial modes were all awful.
Lobbies were awful.
Lag was awful.
The way they have set up getting skins and characters is awful.

oti

Banned
It doesn't matter if the fighting is good if everything else in the game makes me not want to play it.

The initial modes were all awful.
Lobbies were awful.
Lag was awful.
The way they have set up getting skins and characters is awful.

So what you're saying is that the game was a mess at launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom