• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's just so damn weird that you CAN play WiiU levels but CAN'T search for levels.
And that you can't upload 3DS levels. I would kinda understand if you can't play WiiU levels cause I have no idea how things work but the fact that you can play them but not search for specific ones..... is blowing my mind.

Zaph

Sometimes I wish Giant Bomb was just a Patreon-supported YouTube channel.

Nah. Patreon doesn't generate enough money to fully support multiple people with families and commitments. They'd have to supplement their income in shitty ways like other Patreons/Youtubers.

If it ever came to that I'd prefer they just shut up shop and move on.

oti

Banned
It's just so damn weird that you CAN play WiiU levels but CAN'T search for levels.
And that you can't upload 3DS levels. I would kinda understand if you can't play WiiU levels cause I have no idea how things work but the fact that you can play them but not search for specific ones..... is blowing my mind.

It is.

Ein Bear

My brain just can't process a product like Mario Maker 3DS.

I could almost understand it from a "Oh shit, we have the Switch coming out in March, but have nothing for the 3DS to get through Christmas!" point of view... but the 3DS just had a brand new fucking Pokemon game release a couple of days ago.

That is also a legit way to look at this. I just don't think it helps anyone. If you only have a 3DS and are ok with not sharing your levels, maybe go for it. If you already own the Wii U version DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

The issue there is that it isn't just the "making" part of the game that's severely handicapped. They've fucked up the "playing levels" portion enough that I don't even think you need the context of playing the Wii U version to be bummed about it. The platforming mechanics are obviously great, but you're given fuck all to do with them, so it can only do so much to salvage the game. Those challenge levels are not of the quality of a standard Nintendo-made Mario platformer (As much as anybody wants to make it out to be "like a full-fledged Mario platformer," it is not), and many of them are either taken from the Wii U version or remakes of older levels in the series (sometimes both). To suggest that those levels are anything more than a curio is severely overstating their value.

And then the Internet functionality makes you wonder why they even bothered having any in the first place. You can't upload courses. You can't download courses. You can't look for courses. You can't star courses. If you liked a level you played, you can't do anything about it to get more levels like it, or even see the other levels that author may have made. If there was a level made that happens to have a mystery mushroom in it (which is pretty common), you are never even seeing those.

These aren't just luxuries that can only be afforded by a Wii U. Many of these things are fundamental concepts that have no reason to be absent. This game is the worst-case scenario everybody imagined the Wii U version could be before it was released, and the Wii U version existing doesn't excuse any of that. To suggest otherwise is insulting.

Why don't people like Popplio? Why do people like Popplio?

I only see blanket statements that he's the best or he's the worst.

Also, I orignally had a typo and accidentally typed out Pooplio.

imBask

Banned
Popplio is ugly
Water starters are always the worst
Evolutions suck
Fairy type is stupid

Litten and Rowlet are swaglords
2 powerful 4 u
sweet evolutions
can fly holy shit
can shoot fire holy shit

Salarians

popplio is a friend and good

litten is the best

rowlett is cute until it evolves, then it falls to the lower half of the starter tier list

My brain just can't process a product like Mario Maker 3DS.

I could almost understand it from a "Oh shit, we have the Switch coming out in March, but have nothing for the 3DS to get through Christmas!" point of view... but the 3DS just had a brand new fucking Pokemon game release a couple of days ago.

Its a Nintendo like solution to a problem that didnt exist.

Hindl

Water starters have been the best in at least 4 of the previous 6 games before Sun and Moon. Feraligatr and that samurai walrus don't make the cut

Growlithe is the best Pokémon. Always has been, always will be.

Immediately caught one when it was available so early in Sun and Moon. Took a long time to evolve but now Arcanine wrecks shit

As ever when Nintendo does something seemingly inexplicable, this is probably a move to appease some Japanese demographic that's completely alien to us.

I bet Japanese schoolchildren are going to eat up 3DS Streetpass Mario Maker.

Giganteus

Why don't people like Popplio? Why do people like Popplio?

I only see blanket statements that he's the best or he's the worst.

Also, I orignally had a typo and accidentally typed out Pooplio.
The ultimate question that no one is asking themselves in a mirror is, "Why should people care this much, either way, about that specific Pokemon?" But I think after asking themselves, they'd punch the mirror, take out a shard, and slice their own throat.

All that shit in MM3DS really does sound like Nintendo was seriously worried about security issues. Restricting save data to a 1-device/1-cart pairing, disallowing specific level searches, etc... The question is why they even bothered putting it out.

I wonder if Mario Maker 3DS is eligible for biggest disappointment

Very possible, as it is fresh in their minds and Dan seemed flummoxed at how much Nintendo screwed it up. Also, I think it could be possible that No Man's Sky is no longer a potential leader for that "award" (though, it will probably still get nominated) due to the big update bringing new found life to the game (I'd love to see them check it out on UPF today).

Strax

Here's another neat feature of Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS: You can't edit the Nintendo-made levels until you collect both medals on them.

That makes sense to me. If they are going to "hide" something they don't want you to be able to see it in the editor.

Is uncharted 4 even going to be above...6th on the GB list? I really don't think so. Should be some good reaction to that if the Overwatch thread is an indication.

Chuck

Still without luck
Is uncharted 4 even going to be above...6th on the GB list? I really don't think so. Should be some good reaction to that if the Overwatch thread is an indication.

Indeed. I see no way it gets above Overwatch, The Witness, Doom, Hitman, or Titanfall.

oti

Banned
The issue there is that it isn't just the "making" part of the game that's severely handicapped. They've fucked up the "playing levels" portion enough that I don't even think you need the context of playing the Wii U version to be bummed about it. The platforming mechanics are obviously great, but you're given fuck all to do with them, so it can only do so much to salvage the game. Those challenge levels are not of the quality of a standard Nintendo-made Mario platformer (As much as anybody wants to make it out to be "like a full-fledged Mario platformer," it is not), and many of them are either taken from the Wii U version or remakes of older levels in the series (sometimes both). To suggest that those levels are anything more than a curio is severely overstating their value.

And then the Internet functionality makes you wonder why they even bothered having any in the first place. You can't upload courses. You can't download courses. You can't look for courses. You can't star courses. If you liked a level you played, you can't do anything about it to get more levels like it, or even see the other levels that author may have made. If there was a level made that happens to have a mystery mushroom in it (which is pretty common), you are never even seeing those.

These aren't just luxuries that can only be afforded by a Wii U. Many of these things are fundamental concepts that have no reason to be absent. This game is the worst-case scenario everybody imagined the Wii U version could be before it was released, and the Wii U version existing doesn't excuse any of that. To suggest otherwise is insulting.

I agree with everything you said but I don't know a single person who uses the Wii U version as an excuse for this cash grab.

What the fuck were they thinking with Mario Maker 3DS

Having something next to Pokémon on store shelves for Christmas at the lowest cost possible while working on the Switch version.

robotrock

Banned
Inside, and any other game where their best moment is the only good moment, should be automatically disqualified.

The entire industry needs to push back against how accepting we are to slog through x hours of the mundane, just for y minutes of enjoyment.

I definitely don't think Inside's only good moment was the last 10 minutes. The puzzles throughout the whole thing are great.

Chuck

Still without luck
I think there is a very real chance it won't make the top 10 list at all.

I don't think so.

Here's my predition.
1. Overwatch
2. Doom
3. Titanfall
4. Hitman
5. The Witness
6. Uncharted
7. Inside
8. Stardew Valley
9. something
10. game no one really wants

oti

Banned
Inside, and any other game where their best moment is the only good moment, should be automatically disqualified.

The entire industry needs to push back against how accepting we are to slog through x hours of the mundane, just for y minutes of enjoyment.

I'm not a big LIMBO or Inside fan, like not at all, and I do think the ending scene is blown way out of proportion but the
mind control puzzles
are pretty cool and it's a very polished, well executed experience.

I'd definitely put it above Brothers.

Fantastapotamus

I don't think so.

Here's my predition.
1. Overwatch
2. Doom
3. Titanfall
4. Hitman
5. The Witness
6. Uncharted
7. Inside
8. Stardew Valley
9. something

You really think Overwatch is gonna win? Come on now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think so.

Here's my predition.
1. Overwatch
2. Doom
3. Titanfall
4. Hitman
5. The Witness
6. Uncharted
7. Inside
8. Stardew Valley
9. something

Forza Horizon 3 is a pretty safe one to include on the list. Not many holes you can poke in it.

kai3345

Banned
I don't think so.

Here's my predition.
1. Overwatch
2. Doom
3. Titanfall
4. Hitman
5. The Witness
6. Uncharted
7. Inside
8. Stardew Valley
9. something

There's almost no chance of Overwatch winning. They all seem to have fallen off of it pretty hard. I think the fight is between Doom and Hitman

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
3 of them are playing Watch Dogs 2 and I could see it placing over Uncharted 4.
I could somehow see Mafia 3 on that list even though I don't think it deserves it.
There's almost no chance of Overwatch winning. They all seem to have fallen off of it pretty hard. I think the fight is between Doom and Hitman

Are Brad and Jeff 'all?' Because Dan, Alex, Jason, and Vinny all still play it fairly regularly

oti

Banned
Hitman or Overwatch should win.
DOOM or Titanfall will win.

3 of them are playing Watch Dogs 2 and I could see it placing over Uncharted 4.
I could somehow see Mafia 3 on that list even though I don't think it deserves it.

I could see them see something pretty cool in a game the day of deliberations and then go "I guess that should win then?". These deliberations are duuuuuuuuuumb their opinions are duuuuuuuuuumb. And I love them.

My fear is this year will be pretty meh since two favorites are both shooters, a genre I'm personally that not fond of. Totally subjective, I know.

Zaph

DOOM or Titanfall will win.

CoJmMnO.gif

Fantastapotamus

Are Brad and Jeff 'all?' Because Dan, Alex, Jason, and Vinny all still play it fairly regularly

We all know that a game can't be GotY if neither Jeff nor Brad don't care about it. That's unprecedented.
If 2016 has thought me anything, it's that elections never lead to unprecedented things.

That makes sense to me. If they are going to "hide" something they don't want you to be able to see it in the editor.

1: We're not idiots, the Internet exists.

2: You can crack open the Wii U levels the second you unlock them, and many of those are in the 3DS version.

3: Opening up a level and seeing how it works is not only welcome in most other cases, it can be a learning experience for those who don't have a great grip on the editor.

But I guess I'm not really thinking about it in a Nintendo-like way.

I agree with everything you said but I don't know a single person who uses the Wii U version as an excuse for this cash grab.

I guess what I mean is that the "if you don't have a Wii U, this is a must-play" notion is ridiculous, which plenty of critics have been saying.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd bet money Gears will outplace Uncharted. I wouldn't be surprised if Uncharted doesn't make the cut.

Also Quantum Break came out this year, speaking of forgettable stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom