• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3z_

Time and time again, people move or leave and get hired and it keeps on trucking. Different flow but always fun and enjoyable. I have no worries about the podcast quality.

I mean it definitely keeps going but I think it's entirely fair to be skeptical of what it will be in the interim. Also continuing to run is not continuing to run at the same quality.

Personally been a fan of the site since 2008 and up until around 2014 I had heard every podcast at least twice and seen just about every piece of video content on the site besides Happy Hour and TNT. Since the East West split I've taken numerous breaks from the regular Bombcast as it has fallen into lulls multiple times and have skipped certain video content more regularly. I still love the site and it's my main place to go for videogame stuff, but for my tastes I would say the hit to miss ratio is not what it has been on the West's side. Not having Ryan and Vinny's humor is noticable, and losing Dan as another one of their sources for humor is unfortunate.

I continue to be perpetually excited for GBeast even though I will really miss Austin, but I am very interested to see what comes of GBwest especially what kind of hire they make whenever they get around to being able to do that.

daveo42

Banned
Beastcast will only improve with Dan being back East with Vinny and Alex. Basically Vinny and Dan can feed off of each other while Alex tries to remain sane and Bakalar supplies his CNET brand of commentary.

The Bombcast will survive, though I think more of that weight will be on Jeff and Brad to keep it interesting, while Drew, Jason, and Rorie pick up some of the slack. I'd actually like to have more Rorie on the cast too. Dan def brought something to the Bombcast they might not have again unless someone decides to clone him and give the clone a job in SF. Please don't do that. One Dan is already too much for the world to handle.

Anyway...the new person will have some pretty big orthopedic shoes to fill whenever they find someone.

Dan will do great on the east coast (if he is ever able to get out of that apartment)

GBeast could use another video focused guy. Austin was nice and all but he is a writer ass writer who would rather be writing and Alex is just 1 man. Dan's brief stay in NY was already one of the most productive times the site has had.

GBSF will continue on the track its been going down the last few years. Bombcast, UPF, maybe a quick look every now and again. I dont think the new hire will change the workrate from that office.

The problem is that without a strong voice to counter the Jeff/Brad jaded doldrums, it'll turn into even more of a echo chamber than it is now. In each era, there was always someone with more positivity or open-mindedness to counter Jeff/Brad. First Ryan/Vinny, then Patrick, then Austin.

They need to find someone with a strong optimistic voice as the new hire.

The problem is that without a strong voice to counter the Jeff/Brad jaded doldrums, it'll turn into even more of a echo chamber than it is now. In each era, there was always someone with more positivity or open-mindedness to counter Jeff/Brad. First Ryan/Vinny, then Patrick, then Austin.

They need to find someone with a strong optimistic voice as the new hire.

They don't need someone optimistic, just someone that can engage with those guys and turn it into actual discussion. The Beastcast had this problem in the Austin era where everyone would agree too much and the podcast would stagnate because no one ever played devil's advocate.

I would definitely try holding out from looking stuff up as much as you can (for the puzzles you have remaining at least). If you get stuck in one area, leave and do another area. Some puzzles use mechanics from other areas, and several times I would figure out the mechanic from one area by doing puzzles in an unrelated area.
Light to moderate Witness spoilers:
Yeah the sound and light puzzles in particular were ones that I really should have figured out on my own. I think having a map other than on the boat would have helped a ton so that I didn't feel like I was always going in circles.

I mostly tried to look up where to go next, but I ended up getting spoiled by some of the sections' themes and also gave into temptation on some of the more frustrating puzzles. I'm at the swamp now and have about 4 or 5 lights on. I'll avoid solutions and spoilers from here on. It's a really great game once you get the hang of it, though. It's probably my GOTY from what I've played.

Light to moderate Witness spoilers:
Yeah the sound and light puzzles in particular were ones that I really should have figured out on my own. I think having a map other than on the boat would have helped a ton so that I didn't feel like I was always going in circles.

I mostly tried to look up where to go next, but I ended up getting spoiled by some of the sections' themes and also gave into temptation on some of the more frustrating puzzles. I'm at the swamp now and have about 4 or 5 lights on. I'll avoid solutions and spoilers from here on. It's a really great game once you get the hang of it, though. It's probably my GOTY from what I've played.

Yup, it's mine as well. Also, try drawing the puzzles out on paper. It helps a ton on testing solutions and visualizing mechanics. I had a notebook where I just drew out possible solutions to the more complicated puzzles. I think I solved a quarter of that game scribbling in my notebook on the bus on my way to work.

tesqui

I wonder if The Last Guardian will be discussed at any capacity for GOTY podcasts. Alex seems to like it.

I can already predict Jeff and Dan hating it because of how patient you have to be with Trico.

Harpuia

I think I groaned for the entire duration of the Death Stranding/Kojima talk this bombcast. Goddamn Brad is such a goddamn downer concerning anything Kojima.

Simultaneously, Dan has some weird opinions. Everytime he expresses his dislike for anything "unrealistic" like having space things in games, I roll my eyes.

On one side, I'm glad Brad tries to put Dan's thoughts into the light and tries to get him to express his thoughts more clearly and constructively.

I feel like nobody had fun talking during that segment. The trailers thus far for Death Stranding are ok. Like, nothing to scoff at really. They're just fine. Not brilliant masterpieces but they're fun.

I wonder if The Last Guardian will be discussed at any capacity for GOTY podcasts. Alex seems to like it.

I can already predict Jeff and Dan hating it because of how patient you have to be with Trico.

Alex seems to like it in a "this is a flawed thing that appeals to me, but I don't think it's amazing" sort of way. I doubt it gets much attention in GOTY. Will anyone other than Alex have even played it by the time they record?

There is one Witness puzzle that I think is pretty bullshit and it's the
one in the monastery where you have to notice the twig on the ground
. It was the one time where I thought "Oh, fuck you" when I figured it out.

Tubobutts

Vinny had fun

Hes a big bug bear who has fun
On a podcast Austin Walker claimed that bugbears are animals* rather than Humanoids (Goblinoids). What are you/Austin saying about Vinny?

*D&D defines an animal as a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture.

I think it might get some talk from Alex, but not enough traction to proceed further than that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think I groaned for the entire duration of the Death Stranding/Kojima talk this bombcast. Goddamn Brad is such a goddamn downer concerning anything Kojima.

Simultaneously, Dan has some weird opinions. Everytime he expresses his dislike for anything "unrealistic" like having space things in games, I roll my eyes.

On one side, I'm glad Brad tries to put Dan's thoughts into the light and tries to get him to express his thoughts more clearly and constructively.

I feel like nobody had fun talking during that segment. The trailers thus far for Death Stranding are ok. Like, nothing to scoff at really. They're just fine. Not brilliant masterpieces but they're fun.
I didn't notice Brad to be too negative during that segment. Vinny was the one wgo didn't think it was as crazy as everyone made it out to be. MGSV was Brad's GotY last year, too. He can't hate Kojima too much.

As someone who is not into Metal Gear outside of Rising, I actually thought it was very intriguing. A whole new creation with Kojima's production value sounds pretty great.

A thing that they didn't even mention was that the soldiers and vehicles/planes were from different times. Like some endless war time conundrum was going on or something.
Looked like a good setup to me.

On a podcast Austin Walker claimed that bugbears are animals* rather than Humanoids (Goblinoids). What are you/Austin saying about Vinny?

*D&D defines an animal as a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture.

What Im trying to say is that Vinny mimes the human condition

tesqui

Alex seems to like it in a "this is a flawed thing that appeals to me, but I don't think it's amazing" sort of way. I doubt it gets much attention in GOTY. Will anyone other than Alex have even played it by the time they record?

I think it might get some talk from Alex, but not enough traction to proceed further than that.

Yeah, seems like only Alex has played it. I'm kind of hoping Brad started playing it. Seems like a game he'd like or at least be interested in. Although I could also see him getting real frustrated with the controls. Sucks that it released so late in the year.

bjork

I've kicked around in the witness for a handful of hours and I realize it's a game I like looking at, not playing. Whenever I figure something out, it's always a case of relief so I can move on, rather than satisfaction.

I'm probably just gonna play through with a list of solutions, so I can at least see the end. If that means I'm not a smart fella or whatever, I guess that's what it means.

I've kicked around in the witness for a handful of hours and I realize it's a game I like looking at, not playing. Whenever I figure something out, it's always a case of relief so I can move on, rather than satisfaction.

I'm probably just gonna play through with a list of solutions, so I can at least see the end. If that means I'm not a smart fella or whatever, I guess that's what it means.

I wouldn't do that. There's nothing at the end worth seeing to make that worthwhile. The gradual process of discovering the island's secret is more intriguing, but playing through the whole game with a walkthrough isn't really gonna do much for you.

Scizzy

The "Jeff/Brad are downers" talk is seriously out of date. I don't think Brad was ever particularly negative and Jeff has overwhelmingly talked positively about games for months and months now. Alex/Backalar are much more negative than they are.

Edited to add: as long as the Bombcast has Jeff, it will be fine. He's the funniest of the group and has the deepest knowledge and most interesting perspective on games. Brad and Drew are both very good in their roles too. The podcasts with Dan out have been perfectly fine recently.

LiK

Jeff is a lot more positive about games these days. He had a time where he was cynical as hell but not recently. Brad is Brad.

he is ready for his crown of doritos

All hail the last Dorito pope, first of his name.
d07.png

Scizzy

are they vaping in the room or something?

Remember when Jeff came up with the idea to open a vaping store called "Vape Culture" and was immediately horrified with himself?

I also just remembered him coming up with "A Pizza the Action" off the top of his head as the name for a pizza place. In another life, the man could have cured cancer...

Scizzy

Looking at that Craigslist ad, I am shocked Dan can't rent that place at that price. I have friends in SF who pay more for much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom