• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makikou

Do you guys know when will the GB crew do their usual GOTY podcasts/podcast videos) ?

Edit: Oh look, a new page. Merry Christmas y'all.

*hugs*

As a huge Ion Storm/Looking Glass fan, this has been a great year. Mankind Divided was a bit of a let down in the story department but I still had a fun time with it. I hope Dishonored 2 sells better than Mankind Divided (seemingly) did. Shame about the PC issues though. Man Karnaca was such a cool setting to explore.

I hope Prey turns out good, although I really wish they didn't call it Prey because it's now doomed to forever be compared to whatever flawless hypothetical game Prey 2 could've been that people have built up in their heads.

edit: I should include Hitman here too, even if it's not really a successor to the Looking Glass style of games it still gives me similar vibes in the way it lets you loose in an intricately designed level with a set of tools and systems at your disposal.

It's funny how the question about Hitman s2 levels led to them talking about a wrestling level that is pretty much exactly like the one in Absolution. That game had some great ideas, shame about the game itself.

Joeku

It's funny how the question about Hitman s2 levels led to them talking about a wrestling level that is pretty much exactly like the one in Absolution. That game had some great ideas, shame about the game itself.

A lot of people forget about the good ideas in Absolution because it was Absolution. Like 1/4 of that game is proper Hitman levels, and it is maybe the best IO has ever been about make a world feel grimy and gross.

Well, maybe that or K&L2, and even that story got pushed forward in Absolution.

A lot of people forget about the good ideas in Absolution because it was Absolution. Like 1/4 of that game is proper Hitman levels, and it is maybe the best IO has ever been about make a world feel grimy and gross.

Well, maybe that or K&L2, and even that story got pushed forward in Absolution.

I hated that tone in Absolution. HITMAN's goofy self-awareness works so much better for it. It's a lot more likeable. There were definitely a few really good levels in Absolution. My favorite was the hotel penthouse where you could run around in fucking Samurai armor chopping dudes down.

Joeku

I hated that tone in Absolution. HITMAN's goofy self-awareness works so much better for it. It's a lot more likeable. There were definitely a few really good levels in Absolution. My favorite was the hotel penthouse where you could run around in fucking Samurai armor chopping dudes down.

I super agree, sorry if I didn't make it clear. That tone and the way they characterized 47 was super dumb. I'm just saying that IO is really good at making games gross without needing to lean on gore and hellish imagery.

Joeku

I should play Absolution between s1 and 2 of Hitman.

Been on my Steam list for like 2 years.

It gets shat on a bunch but you can really see how Hitman 2016 grew out of it. It's kinda shitty and kinda cool all at once. Also unless I'm misremembering, the contracts system in Absolution is actually better than in 2016. So, yes, give it a go.

the main problem with Absolution is that half the levels, maybe 2/3 are total butthole. but there are some really solid classic hitman stuff in between them. so it's basically one of those games that I wouldn't really recommend spending money on but if you already own it there's no reason not to play it.

justjim89

That part in Absolution where you run around a cornfield disguised as a scarecrow killing nuns was pretty great.

*hugs*

As a huge Ion Storm/Looking Glass fan, this has been a great year. Mankind Divided was a bit of a let down in the story department but I still had a fun time with it. I hope Dishonored 2 sells better than Mankind Divided (seemingly) did. Shame about the PC issues though. Man Karnaca was such a cool setting to explore.

I hope Prey turns out good, although I really wish they didn't call it Prey because it's now doomed to forever be compared to whatever flawless hypothetical game Prey 2 could've been that people have built up in their heads.

edit: I should include Hitman here too, even if it's not really successor to the Looking Glass style of games it still gives me similar vibes in the way it lets you lose in an intricately designed level with a set of tools and systems at your disposal.

Yeah, this has been a great year for immersive sims, and Prey looks to continue that. Hitman is definitely something of a descendant of the old Looking Glass style, if not directly.

Meneses

There were also a couple levels on Absolution that had loading screens between areas and enemies would respawn if you went back. I don't know if they eventually patched it out.

Well, the numbers go up and up. And yeah it's match-3, too. Basically all the addictive mobile genres in 1.

Yeah.

Its enjoyable for what it is. I like match 3s? I liked Ironcast alot when that came out(heard about that one from the QL Drew did in fact)

I can't tell whether there's a qualitative difference between Mario Party games, or if the GB guys are just in the mood for some more than others. Watched all of them over the last month or so, and I will say though that 6 and 9 look legitimately boring, or at least the board they played in 6 did. 5 on the other hand had so many twists and turns it was impossible not to get invested in it, which is crazy for a game that's so luck-based.

Am9w5kl.gif

I'm glad Drew won.

It's missing this one.

Goddamn, The Last Guardian is for real. I totally see how it took them forever and a day to make it. Frustrating at times, but seeing it through to the end was so worth it.

Yes. I'm probably going to finish it today and I'm not looking forward to doing so because I'm enjoying it alot.

Time to listen!

Do you guys know when will the GB crew do their usual GOTY podcasts/podcast videos) ?

Edit: Oh look, a new page. Merry Christmas y'all.

They mentioned that it'll be on the 26th.

justjim89

The new Elusive Target is pretty easy if your Sapienza mastery is high enough to start at the top of the tower. Brad might pull it off on his personal run.

Gurrry

So, awhile back I bought H1Z1 for the survival game. I guess its been through alot of changes since then and they did the whole "split the game into 2 separate versions".

I started playing that King of The Kill mode that is all the rage on Twitch, and its a pretty bad game, but for some reason its addicting. Ive gotten a few kills here and there and each one is pretty satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom