• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

My grandad had a stroke (and survived) and it was really complicated for him and he can't even talk. He was way older than Jeff's mom so hopefully with rehab she gets better. At that age I say it's possible.

I know another case of a younger stroke victim that did regain most of it's functions so that's a much more positive case.

Anyway, hopefully everything goes well and her rehab goes well.

Johndoey

Banned
Jeff's mother is ill? In any case best wishes to her and her family. I hope therapy can help her regain some function of her right side, the fact she's swallowing is a good sign.

Xater

NES Real Talk:

Kid Icarus isn't good
Neither is Ice Climbers, Jeff is crazy
Metroid 1 hasn't aged well at all, everything looks the goddamned same and you have to replenish your health every time you die and the music gets repetitive fast
Excitebike is good but okay, the best version is the FDS version of Vs. Excitebike
Ghosts n' Goblins is actually horseshit
Mario 3 is the best Mario
Kirby's Adventure is great and Dan's bizarre confusion as to how the floating works (you just press the jump button) is nonsense
Castlevania 1 and 3 are the sickest shit in the world, almost all of Konami's games were sick as hell

I agree with all these statements.

derFeef

It was decent considering the Game Boy limitations.

It was a time when I simply went to the store and bought a game that looked cool. I have not played a classic Castlevania game since then. What would be my best entry point? (PC, 3DS, Vita, XB1[BC]).

2897141-owlboy.jpg
Quick Look: Owlboy
Hitch a ride with Dan and Jeff on their quest to become owl men.

Seventy70

Damn, no 24 hour studio stream this year? I was hoping for a GBeast one, but it was unlikely anyway. Sucks that we don't get a Brad stream either.

Has Dan done an Extra Life yet? That seems like it would be fun. He would go crazy with the Taco Bell.

Xater

How long did Alex say he is going to do this?

It was a time when I simply went to the store and bought a game that looked cool. I have not played a classic Castlevania game since then. What would be my best entry point? (PC, 3DS, Vita, XB1[BC]).

No one would crucify you for emulation I think. Classic Castlevania is definitely the NES games, Bloodlines and Rondo of Blood. Super Castlevania is a weird thing but still good. There even exists a patch to fix Castlevania 2 to make it a decent game. It mostly just changes the translations so it isn't cryptic as shit. For Rondo you should play the PC Engine version or the PSP remake Dracula X Chronicles. That might be available on the Vita, I am not sure.

If you just want to experience the classic style without going through all of them play Castlevania 1 or Rondo. I'd say Rondo because I think its the best one of those.

Damn, no 24 hour studio stream this year? I was hoping for a GBeast one, but it was unlikely anyway.

I didn't even expect a 24 hour stream but I would have at least liked a day stream of Alex and Vinny.

I really just don't like the solo stream style. It just gets kind of boring. Drew/Alexis and Jason is about the only streams I look forward to because they aren't really solo.

Seventy70

I didn't even expect a 24 hour stream but I would have at least liked a day stream of Alex and Vinny.

I really just don't like the solo stream style. It just gets kind of boring. Drew/Alexis and Jason is about the only streams I look forward to because they aren't really solo.

I feel the same way. That 2013 studio stream was great. Lots of shenanigans in there and it feels like a special thing. I can understand why they do this though. It drags out the length and they get to raise more money.

Meneses

What's the breaking point for "classic" Castlevania? SotN is 20 years old soon.

I'd say everything before they started being "metroidvanias" (SotN being the first, I think) is considered classic, at least that's my understanding of it.

And holy shit, it is coming up on 20 years, jesus f'n christ how is that even possible.
I'm old :(

Xater

SotN does not look like a game I am going to enjoy, judging from Vinnyvania ;)

I like the Metroid structure, so I am probably even more fond of modern Castlevania, but yeah just go for anything before SOTN. Except maybe 2 unless you can play the fixed version.

derFeef

I like the Metroid structure, so I am probably even more fond of modern Castlevania, but yeah just go for anything before SOTN. Except maybe 2 unless you can play the fixed version.

I enjoy Metroid structure, but there seems something off with this game, not really sure what it is.

Did you miss how many times he talked about being in a band in any number of podcasts? How can members of this community not know he drums?

Woosh.

convo

Apparently not woosh!

Isn't Alex being a drummer how they all met? Through a band? Not really a recent podcast thing.

Jeff and Alex were in the same band, yes. And at least Jeff has talked about this since forever ago.

I'd really like to watch Alex but these drum kit sounds are giving me flashbacks to college.

FUCKING SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO SLEEP I HAVE CLASS AT 8

So at the difficultly, is this bascially 1 to 1 as playing these songs on a real drum?

There are a lot of tracks that, in reality, use more drums than are available on the kit. But the hardest difficulty does have every "note" even if they have to fake it a bit on the physical drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom