• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurrry

What is that hacking game that Jeff really liked? He mentioned it has an online mode where you can hack others and steal their money. Is that HackNet?

I swear the only people I know that like Firewatch all happen to work in the games industry/cover the games industry.

I love the first half of the game and like the second half but eh on the ending. I'm glad it didn't end by doing something so over the top but at the same time it was real underwhelming.

I love the first half of the game and like the second half but eh on the ending. I'm glad it didn't end by doing something so over the top but at the same time it was real underwhelming.

It's not a terrible game, it's just such squandered potential. I would have preferred a rote extra-terrestrial twist to the boring goes-nowhere ending they went with.

Joeku

It's not a terrible game, it's just such squandered potential. I would have preferred a rote extra-terrestrial twist to the boring goes-nowhere ending they went with.

I think the fact that my disappointment with Firewatch lands squarely in the final character beats and not any gamey shit whatsoever says a lot about how well it is made. I respect the game and the writing too much to let that go.

I think the fact that my disappointment with Firewatch lands squarely in the final character beats and not any gamey shit whatsoever says a lot about how well it is made. I respect the game and the writing too much to let that go.
I can see that. To me the ending was a failure in every respect. Characters, story, gameplay (not that the gameplay is why you play Firewatch).

Thanks! I'll check it out after I finish all today's Giant Bomb content at like 2 in the morning.

Joeku

I can see that. To me the ending was a failure in every respect. Characters, story, gameplay (not that the gameplay is why you play Firewatch).

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The "story" of Firewatch really is the interplay of two people (sans a little bit of external intrusion) and it just lands so goddamn flatly that it ruins the end of something that could have otherwise been incredibly poignant (and frankly, respectable, as a video that doesn't lean on almost any video game tropes whatsoever).

oti

Banned
Man, Nintendo not releasing anything big really left its mark on me this year. They make my favourite games usually. Perfect controls/mechanics and super polished. That one AAA Nintendo console game is missing this year. Still love Picross of course but that's different.

I swear the only people I know that like Firewatch all happen to work in the games industry/cover the games industry.

Most of these lists feel super odd to me. Like, I'm in another universe or something. Goes to show how many different kind of video games are out there now and that there's something for everyone.

People who like Firewatch and Inside are wrong though.

Rorie best list because Dragon's Dogma.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean I'm not throwing shade or nothing, just kind of like when you see movies that critics like but bomb commercially and even with film buff types.

American Truck Sim is in my top 10 so who am I to judge.

oti

Banned
reminds me of id software

Sure. If that's what DOOM is then sure. I'm just not into shooters that much. This whole gore metal satan hell look at how kewl we are theme is also not my thing.

I remember actively disliking Max Payne 3 and Bulletstorm while many people loved those games. Shooting for points or for style just isn't my cup of tea. It either has to fulfill a purpose (like in a Team in Overwatch) or just bring you from point A to point B (like in Uncharted). I started playing Advanced Warfare a few months ago and stopped after a couple of hours. Feels utterly pointless to me and I used to play through every Call of Duty game a few years ago.

Ketch

I knew NMS was gonna be in the most disappointing category the week it came out, but It took them sooooo long to say NMS was a bad game. Like they just said it for the first time during these deliberations.

oti

Banned
I knew NMS was gonna be in the most disappointing category the week it came out, but It took them sooooo long to say NMS was a bad game. Like they just said it for the first time during these deliberations.

I still don't get how people can look at this and think it's anything but a bad game. Everything about the marketing, the hype and the preview interviews set aside, it's a bad game.

You might as well browse some PC wallpapers instead.

I'm also taking an issue with them saying Sony threw the NMS developers under the bus. They don't know whether or not Sony made them the offer to help them with PR (I have a tough time imagining they did not make that offer) and maybe they declined because they are Indies and they didn't want a publisher to intervene. I feel like stuff like this is something that GB, as super duper video game business insiders, should take into consideration before they repeat message board theories.

Ketch

I still don't get how people can look at this and think it's anything but a bad game. Everything about the marketing, the hype and the preview interviews set aside, it's a bad game.

I'm also taking an issue with them saying Sony threw the NMS developers under the bus. They don't know whether or not Sony made them the offer to help them with PR (I have a tough time imagining they did not make that offer) and maybe they declined because they are Indies and they didn't want a publisher to intervene. I feel like stuff like this is something that GB, as super duper video game business insiders, should take into consideration before they repeat message board theories.

I can respect that people like it despite it not being good. I like a lot of bad games.

Also, Shu just shouldn't have said anything. It's a dick move no matter how you slice it.

"Well I guess they should have tempered expectations" - high level sony exec. Like he probably didn't mean it to be underhanded, but it really came off that way. Either way, it's not how someone in his position should be getting involved.

But Shu Yoshida has publicly thrown Hello Games under the bus http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/16/12941116/no-mans-sky-hype-pr-sony-shuhei-yoshida

Pretty poor form considering Sony was backing them. I feel for HG to the extent that Sony made NMS into a game that it never was, but Sean Murray did himself and his game no favors by not keeping his goddamn mouth shut either. Both parties deserve blame.

oti

Banned
I can respect that people like it despite it not being good. I like a lot of bad games.

Also, Shu just shouldn't have said anything. It's a dick move no matter how you slice it.

"Well I guess they should have tempered expectations" - high level sony exec. Like he probably didn't mean it to be underhanded, but it really came off that way.

Oh, sure. I like Pokémon GO and it's a terrible game. One of the worst games of 2016, without question.

Shu just repeated PR 101. I can see why some people think it was a dick move, for me it was just stating the obvious. But I agree he shouldn't have said anything. The far bigger story for me is not NMS being a bad game but how Sony managed to position it as a AAA game set next to Uncharted and Call of Duty and yet they seem to be mostly unharmed by the fallout. Well, at least they should stay away from doing something like this again for a while at least.

But Shu Yoshida has publicly thrown Hello Games under the bus http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/16/12941116/no-mans-sky-hype-pr-sony-shuhei-yoshida

Pretty poor form considering Sony was backing them. I feel for HG to the extent that Sony made NMS into a game that it never was, but Sean Murray did himself and his game no favors by not keeping his goddamn mouth shut either. Both parties deserve blame.

I don' know. It wasn't Shu making those crazy promises and as I have said, I can't imagine Sony not offering an experienced PR person to guide them. Taking this deal with Sony might have been a bad decision for Hello Games but it was a decision they made. Business is business, distancing oneself from a dumpster fire that wasn't your fault and defending your own brand is more important than being nice.

TAFK

Watched the final 2 MPP's yesterday. I didn't think I would miss these much but damn I really just wish we could subject the crew to doing it all again, this has been some of the best entertainment the site has put out in my opinion.

Ketch

Oh, sure. I like Pokémon GO and it's a terrible game. One of the worst games of 2016, without question.

Shu just repeated PR 101. I can see why some people think it was a dick move, for me it was just stating the obvious. But I agree he shouldn't have said anything. The far bigger story for me is not NMS being a bad game but how Sony managed to position it as a AAA game set next to Uncharted and Call of Duty and yet they seem to be mostly unharmed by the fallout. Well, at least they should stay away from doing something like this again for a while at least.

I don' know. It wasn't Shu making those crazy promises and as I have said, I can't imagine Sony not offering an experienced PR person to guide them. Taking this deal with Sony might have been a bad decision for Hello Games but it was a decision they made. Business is business, distancing oneself from a dumpster fire that wasn't your fault and defending your own brand is more important than being nice.

I just think that he should have left to the PR department, or it should have been an official statement. Not just like a comment in an interview. He's like at such a high level within the company that he should be above that.

It's just the combination of him being who he is, along with sony's involvement in promoting NMS, and hello games complete lack of communication.

It would be like if a nerdy kid at school got pants'd, wasn't wearing any underwear, and then the principle got on the loud speaker and said "I guess he should have worn underwear".

Like, yea no shit. Also, you're like the damn president of sony. Also, you shouldn't have let this happen to begin with.

pants'd is a bad example because hello games wrought what they sowed. But I feel good about the principle analogy.

oti

Banned
I just think that he should have left to the PR department, or it should have been an official statement. Not just like a comment in an interview. He's like at such a high level within the company that he should be above that.

It's just the combination of him being who he is, along with sony's involvement in promoting NMS, and hello games complete lack of communication.

It would be like if a nerdy kid at school got pants'd, wasn't wearing any underwear, and then the principle got on the loud speaker and said "I guess he should have worn underwear".

Like, yea no shit. Also, you're like the damn president of sony. Also, you shouldn't have let this happen to begin with.

pants'd is a bad example because hello games wrought what they sowed. But I feel good about the principle analogy.

Again, I don't think what Shu said was wrong, but the fact that he did say something is what rubs me the wrong way too. In a way it was kinda smart though. Even though he's head of in-house development the way he stated the obvious was very informal. The thing you're suggesting with a press release would be far worse for Hello Games. But it's not really his job to say anything on that matter.

I liked the first half to 3/4ths of it. So much was happening and there were so many mysteries developing ... and then it just ends. Was there ever an explanation for
the research base and who was tracking you and why they had notes about which of the rangers were gullible? Also, who the two guys were you kept finding notes about and what happened to them.

Lorne Lanning is the hunkiest game developer

No lies detected

5770-468x-lorne.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Seeing Vinny's trepidation moving around in Google Earth VR when stuck on the roof of Staples Center, man I can see people having issues with fear of heights having trouble with a lot of VR stuff in general. Especially flight sims.

Seeing Vinny's trepidation moving around in Google Earth VR when stuck on the roof of Staples Center, man I can see people having issues with fear of heights having trouble with a lot of VR stuff in general. Especially flight sims.

Yeah, that's one thing I want to see this tech used for, a sort of 'face your fears' thing.

Horror movies and traditional games don't get me rattled at all but let me tell you, when a (not particular well-rendered) ghost child was quickly crawling at me in VR it fucking did something to me. I can't wait for a higher-budget VR horror game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom