• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that the game that had the great umpire pause menu "Tiiime" and "Time out" and "That's tiiiiime" stuff? Cuz if so I put like ten hours into it when it went on Xbox's Games with Gold and it was pretty damn good. Super competent arcadey with a wee-bit of sim baseball game.

Yup. The new one has a more "realistic" aesthetic, but apparently retains the arcadey nature. And it adds online play and the ability to create custom made teams and entire custom made leagues filled with custom made teams (offline and online, I believe).

Here's the gameplay reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNNr7eB50HI

kadotsu

Banned
Waypoint just tries to be fresh in who they make fun of. No one has ever made put the magnifying glass on the fact that fan fictions can be kind of stupid. I mean no one has ever made fun of the fanfiction community. But the genius part is that they aren't really making fun of the community because they are doing their send up in a loving way. No malice here just a 10km wide post modern snark DMZ to show that we won't alienate anyone but reserve the right to feel superior.

I hope they do Sonic fans next year. That one could be a lark!

Waypoint have had some really good articles, a good podcast and some of their live-stream segments were the most interesting pieces of games media this year. Their High-school game of the year shit is bullshit and they need to hold that, but it doesn't mean their site hasn't contributed anything.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like whatever, giantbomb pretty much defined doing stupid shit for end of the year stuff, and while a lot of it is more to my style, I'm not going to pretend most of it is somehow less dumb than what waypoint is doing other than I like it better. Some giantbomb goty stuff definitely whiffed harder too. Acting like grampa simpson yelling at the clouds about it isn't exactly a good look either.

It's a silly frivolous thing. A lot of it reflects the personalities of the people who run their individual sites too. I don't really hate it.

There is clearly a lot of work that was put into the Waypoint fanfic stuff. I hope they find success with it. I guess I'm just not sure what Waypoints identity is... Like, I thought their mission was in-depth and thoughtful writings about games and the culture surrounding it. This is... not that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Like whatever, giantbomb pretty much defined doing stupid shit for end of the year stuff, and while a lot of it is more to my style, I'm not going to pretend most of it is somehow less dumb than what waypoint is doing other than I like it better. Some giantbomb goty stuff definitely whiffed harder too. Acting like grampa simpson yelling at the clouds about it isn't exactly a good look either.

It's a silly frivolous thing. A lot of it reflects the personalities of the people who run their individual sites too. I don't really hate it.

Where was this defense for all the Mcelroy bashing?

I don't think the fanfic stuff is ironic. Austin and one of his players on his tabletop podcast mentioned forum roleplay as part of their growing up on the internet, and I think one of his friends still does chat RP in skype or discord. It's likely something that some waypoint folk engaged with during their high school years. Hell, I took a martial arts class with a girl who wrote xena fanfic in high school.

Aaron

I don't think the fanfic stuff is ironic. Austin and one of his players on his tabletop podcast mentioned forum roleplay as part of their growing up on the internet, and I think one of his friends still does chat RP in skype or discord. It's likely something that some waypoint folk engaged with during their high school years. Hell, I took a martial arts class with a girl who wrote xena fanfic in high school.
Yeah, but it's something you do for a trashy hobby fan site. Not a professional gig. It's only interesting a tiny, tiny fraction of their potential audience. So far that's how I'd describe the majority of stuff posted on Waypoint. They have some very good in depth articles, some news, and the rest just strikes me as nonsense.

Zoggy

Waypoint can do whatever they want, I respect Austin and Patrick.

But that stuff is weird brah. But good on them for getting bankrolled by vice and getting allowed to do that

I just imagine Austin or Patrick suggesting this at gb when they're brainstorming goty stuff and everyone else going "hmm that's a neat idea let's write it down"

*immediately crossed off*

For me obviously like most people, I follow Waypoint for Austin, Danielle and Patrick's articles as well as the podcast. I do enjoy reading the articles from their other staff members as well depending on the material itself. Their GOTY theme doesn't work for me and that's fine, I'm sure it works for someone. At the same time though, I'm not hardcore into Waypoint and I don't pretend to be. GB is my bread and butter.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
And you can not like it. I don't care much for it either. I just find it weird that people are looking at it as this "omfg this is what they're doing wtf wtf waypoint officially ruined forever" when i just see it as a thing they're doing for their silly high school theme.

Man Vinny's run of Hitsmas is fucking amazing

It is

UKEoAPw.jpg

Hitman season 2 with Dan being there is going to be nuts.

Aaron

And you can not like it. I don't care much for it either. I just find it weird that people are looking at it as this "omfg this is what they're doing wtf wtf waypoint officially ruined forever" when i just see it as a thing they're doing for their silly high school theme.
I just had high hopes for the site, and though I know it's still relatively new, it just seems like a Russian knock off version of Polygon.

Meneses

After 15 hours I already know FFXV makes my top 10, I just don't know where. I would find my previous post here but i'm lazy.

I also suspect The Last Guardian will be there (and maybe high up) but i'll probably only play it next month since I can't really afford another game right now.

A lot of pretty great stuff came out this year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to use this free week to finally play Witcher 3 and I will have more than 24h of GB content to catch up on later. Not sure how I'm going to do that lol.

JambiBum

I mean imagine if Vinny pulled that shit off. The way they all would have reacted if he somehow did it would have been great. When he opens the door and axes that guy in the forehead only for the entire crowd to be there screaming I completely lost it.

Tubobutts

I decided to use this free week to finally play Witcher 3 and I will have more than 24h of GB content to catch up on later. Not sure how I'm going to do that lol.
Watch the #content while playing the game. Although The Witcher isn't great for that.

Waypoint just tries to be fresh in who they make fun of. No one has ever made put the magnifying glass on the fact that fan fictions can be kind of stupid. I mean no one has ever made fun of the fanfiction community. But the genius part is that they aren't really making fun of the community because they are doing their send up in a loving way. No malice here just a 10km wide post modern snark DMZ to show that we won't alienate anyone but reserve the right to feel superior.

I hope they do Sonic fans next year. That one could be a lark!

It's not remotely meant to make fun of anyone.

Y'all need to fucking chill on the waypoint hate every time someone over there does something you don't like. First it was their twitter (gasp!) now this (The horror!). Don't read it, don't shit up this thread with it.

Zaph

Y'all need to fucking chill on the waypoint hate every time someone over there does something you don't like. First it was their twitter (gasp!) now this (The horror!). Don't read it, don't shit up this thread with it.
Might want take some of that chill advice as well, sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom