• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakwoff

Hey peeps.

Got a spare key for noted GOTY category winner Day of the Tentacle HD to give away. Any of my fellow GBGAF duders interested?

Edit: Gone!

Is anyone sold on any of the gimmicky crap? I feel like people just want to play Nintendo games. Like thats all I want, to play great Nintendo games on a fairly standard console that has all the features of a regular modern console.

Who is looking at all the lame games they showed using the new gimmicks of the Switch and gets excited? Who saw that HD rumble thing and then said "Yeah I gotta pre-order this"?

Will we ever get a Nintendo console without lame features that no one is going to use...?

Nah, but the gimmick stuff (1, 2, Switch) worked for the Wii which is what I bet they're really going for here. It could do well for non-gaffers, but it's going to take hands on time and word of mouth I'd imagine.

repeater

Like seriously, if the stand by is at least on par with the vita I'll be happy.
You are almost certainly going to be disappointed. The Vita's suspend function is so fucking good. Maaan, if that thing had taken off softwarewise it would have been so good. :'(

z8QgGSD.jpg
Switch redeemed.

Dan's doing it wrong:
03DBf3u.gif

Zaph

Nah, but the gimmick stuff worked for the Wii which is what I bet they're really going for here. It could do well for non-gaffers, but it's going to take hands on time and word of mouth I'd imagine.

You're not wrong, but that Wii gimmick appeal was before every kid wanted an ipad/tablet. Not saying the market overlap there is 1:1, but the last 10 years have brought us a lot of products fighting over the same dollar.

Hindl

Is anyone sold on any of the gimmicky crap? I feel like people just want to play Nintendo games. Like thats all I want, to play great Nintendo games on a fairly standard console that has all the features of a regular modern console.

Who is looking at all the lame games they showed using the new gimmicks of the Switch and gets excited? Who saw that HD rumble thing and then said "Yeah I gotta pre-order this"?

Will we ever get a Nintendo console without lame features that no one is going to use...?

No but Nintendo always has this shit at launch, I was expecting some type of party game type thing. The problem is that it should be bundled with the console as a pack-in. The milk game, 1,2 Switch, and the others. ARMS I think can exist as its own game, though not at $60

The tech in the JoyCon seem pretty legit. I don't think it'll be used quite often, but it's still pretty neat. It's probably the reason why a lot of the peripherals are unreasonably expensive.

Also, the Treehouse streams is saying that Mario Kart runs at 1080/60 when on the TV. The Wii U was sub 1080 and then upscaled.

Mr. F

Banned
I find the lack of focus concerning, it kind of came off as them throwing everything at the wall and hoping for the best. With how hard they're apparently going in on JoyCon motion stuff it it's like they don't even know why people give a fuck about their games in the first place

If Jeff and Dan are still there, I guess they are going to be going into the live show super hot 2 hours from now. Anyone know the distance between the event and the NYC office?

If Jeff and Dan are still there, I guess they are going to be going into the live show super hot 2 hours from now. Anyone know the distance between the event and the NYC office?

Assuming its in Manhattan, its not very far no matter where it is. If its at Nintendo NYC, they could walk back to the office in 30 minutes. Or 6 minutes by subway

KingKong

Its really frustrating that Nintendo keeps trying to recapture the Wii magic when their standard regular games like Zelda and the new Mario look so good. Just do more of that! The last good Metroid game was 10 years ago

Zornack

Its really frustrating that Nintendo keeps trying to recapture the Wii magic when their standard regular games like Zelda and the new Mario look so good. Just do more of that! The last good Metroid game was 10 years ago

Thing is Zelda/Mario only get them the 10 to 20 million who bought the Gamecube and WIi U.

They want the 100+ million who bought the DS and Wii.

I'm just really bummed that both Splatoon and Mario Kart are getting addressed but not Mario Maker. Game I wanted the most to come to switch fairly early because I skipped Wii U until I regretted it with that game.

Its really frustrating that Nintendo keeps trying to recapture the Wii magic when their standard regular games like Zelda and the new Mario look so good. Just do more of that!

I think they figured that Wii U deviated too far from the Wii formula, so they tried to recapture the Wii and DS magic with a portable touch-enabled system with which you can also use motion control. The main problem I have is that the accessories are WAY too expensive, which could also keep the main system from dropping too much lower in price. It feels like they took discount VR controllers and tried to use them in a non-VR setting. Even if 1 2 Switch does play like a revelation, not including it with the system means that nobody is going to give it a chance. I don't think Nintendo as a whole couldn't agree on a direction for this thing, as they weren't willing to go all in with HD Rumble. That sort of indecisiveness is what doomed the Wii U. The system will still sell because it's going to be the only Nintendo system going forward, but it won't do too much better than the Wii U in the first year or so.

Edit: I'm not surprised that they didn't announce a new Mario Maker so soon after the 3DS version that's selling like crazy in Japan. They'll make a sequel to and/or port of Mario Maker for Switch, but it'll probably wait until either E3 this year if it's a port or a later time if it's a sequel. The real surprise is no Smash port, which seems like a no-brainer. The controllers seem like they would work just fine for it, with an analog stick on every controller, making it like the original 3DS with better analog. The only thing it would be lacking is a second stick in single Joycon mode, but that's not a huge deal.

Dany

Banned
I CAN NOT BELIEVE that in 2017, THE YEAR OF OUR L.O.R.D. that Nintendo is releasing a video game machine with fucking waggle controls.

Gonna watch a little more of this Treehouse stream. They're gonna show Ultra Street Fighter 2, which seems like a weird thing.

Also, Jeff and Dan just popped up on the stream. It looks like they were demoing the Switch's tabletop mode.

Hindl

The more I think about it, the big killer here is the accessories. $300 sucks but is swallowable. Paid online sucks but I think most people just won't get it. But the peripheral prices are crazy.

I'm just really bummed that both Splatoon and Mario Kart are getting addressed but not Mario Maker. Game I wanted the most to come to switch fairly early because I skipped Wii U until I regretted it with that game.

I'm assuming they'll have some announcements for E3. They had an awkward thing where they had to explain the device, the controllers, the online, and games. At E3 we'll know about the online, account system, and all that, so they should be able to focus on just games.

Gurrry

Glad I can come in here for some unbiased conversation about this thing. Say one wrong thing in the treehouse thread and youre going to be attacked.

Even if you can play with 4 people with only 2 joycons by splitting them, how comfortable is that even going to be? I dont think Id want to play many games with a controller that fits in the palm of my hand. I have giant hands too, so this surely wont feel comfortable for me personally.

I want a switch, but I think I can wait until December for more games and maybe a slight sale or pack in bundle.

I'm assuming they'll have some announcements for E3. They had an awkward thing where they had to explain the device, the controllers, the online, and games. At E3 we'll know about the online, account system, and all that, so they should be able to focus on just games.

This just gives me more cause to not get it at launch. They felt like they needed to explain the system and controls all over again, but I feel like they already made a pretty good case of everything involved with the first announcement video they released.

Glad I can come in here for some unbiased conversation about this thing. Say one wrong thing in the treehouse thread and youre going to be attacked.

Even if you can play with 4 people with only 2 joycons by splitting them, how comfortable is that even going to be? I dont think Id want to play many games with a controller that fits in the palm of my hand. I have giant hands too, so this surely wont feel comfortable for me personally.

I want a switch, but I think I can wait until December for more games and maybe a slight sale or pack in bundle.

I also want to know if they will eventually be selling different Joy-Cons to attach to the main device. It seems like it's be pretty easy to come out with different controls for different options. I just hope its not like the wii with just a bunch of plastic shit to put the joycons in to.

That's always the best approach when buying a game system. There's no reason to have one if there's nothing you want to play. I mean, it's the reason I haven't bought an Xbox One yet.

The guy (Youtuber?) in front of Dan on the Treehouse stream is annoying me greatly. He has spent 10 minutes sat down setting up a shot and has not interacted with the game at all, whilst behind him Dan's head is bopping about smiling and enjoying things.

Justin

Kohler just posted on Twitter that the free classic game(s) with the Online Switch subscription areonly available for that month then it goes away unlike the XBO and PS4 where you can keep it as long as your subscription is active. Sad!

The guy (Youtuber?) in front of Dan on the Treehouse stream is annoying me greatly. He has spent 10 minutes sat down setting up a shot and has not interacted with the game at all, whilst behind him Dan's head is bopping about smiling and enjoying things.

Which youtuber is it

Is it pootypie

Or is it sizzled joe

Kohler just posted on Twitter that the free classic game(s) with the Online Switch subscription areonly available for that month then it goes away unlike the XBO and PS4 where you can keep it as long as your subscription is active. Sad!

This is just absolutely astounding to me. I don't even understand.

I can understand the old curmudgeon Japanese explanation of it, I just don't understand how at all they think that sounds good compared to the other companies offerings.

Hindl

This just gives me more cause to not get it at launch. They felt like they needed to explain the system and controls all over again, but I feel like they already made a pretty good case of everything involved with the first announcement video they released.

I also want to know if they will eventually be selling different Joy-Cons to attach to the main device. It seems like it's be pretty easy to come out with different controls for different options. I just hope its not like the wii with just a bunch of plastic shit to put the joycons in to.

Yeah I think they made the case that the Switch will be a good console to get this holiday. But there's no pressure to get it at launch. It'll still be there whenever you wanna get it. If you need Zelda get a Switch at launch. If not, wait till this Holiday and you'll have Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, enhanced Mario Kart and the 3rd parties. That's a pretty solid lineup

Meneses

wtf lol

Maybe there's some misunderstanding when relaying information to people or something, they can't possibly think that's a good idea.

Justin

Yeah I think they made the case that the Switch will be a good console to get this holiday. But there's no pressure to get it at launch. It'll still be there whenever you wanna get it. If you need Zelda get a Switch at launch. If not, wait till this Holiday and you'll have Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, enhanced Mario Kart and the 3rd parties. That's a pretty solid lineup

Except... I have read some posts on twitter from people at the event that the Zelda framerate on the Switch is worse than the WiiU version. I mean they have 45 days till it ships so thats time to clean it up right?

It's unclear to me if they also have the WiiU version at the event today or if they are remembering it from the E3 demo.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So I assume the Switch stream today will just be them showing clips and talking about the show and not watching the entire conference, correct?

wtf lol

Maybe there's some misunderstanding when relaying information to people or something, they can't possibly think that's a good idea.

Looking at their history with VC stuff I can totally see them thinking this is how it should be handled. They see it as if it's like a demo or a constantly changing rental. They don't want to hand these games out. Why do you need 3 games after 3 months of paying? You can just have the game of this month and if you want to go back you can buy.

I think it's absolutely stupid, but I can completely see how they think this is justifiable when it comes to their legacy games.

So I assume the Switch stream today will just be them showing clips and talking about the show and not watching the entire conference, correct?

They played hands-on there, so I think they'll either be discussing their playtime there or possibly showing footage from the floor.

I think 1 2 Switch looks like great fun.

Unfortunately, it's not full retail price fun. I cannot understand why that's not packed in with every console.

Gurrry

I think 1 2 Switch looks like great fun.

Unfortunately, it's not full retail price fun. I cannot understand why that's not packed in with every console.

It isnt coming out at launch is it? I cant remember the exact date, but I imagine thats why its not a pack in. Which is a bummer cause it seems like thats the Wii Sports equivalent this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom