• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think the disappointment is easy to understand. People expected Nintendo to come out swinging. They didn't.

Especially software wise I'm a bit disappointed by how little they had to show.

The best was the dude from Sega
"Hi, I'm from Sega. We make videogames sometimes. Some might come to the Switch. Thanks. Bye"

patapuf

I guess I'm just not sure why people expected more storage when it was always supposed to be a handheld hybrid. I never expected much more. Not that I'm super excited about the thing either, but it's pretty much exactly what I expected it would be.

something like 64gb would have meant i wouldn't need to buy storage immediately. Or if it was 50$ cheaper i'd have gladly eaten the cost for the sd card. As it is the thing will cost me like 400 CHF at least. without a game. Meh.

I'm not surprised it's just that toghether with everything else, the value seems poor. At least as a secondary device.

Before conference people in the threads even expected a retro developed metroid game... I don't know how people can hype themselves up to such high levels every time. Don't they learn from this happening every time?

Lol for real? Like maybe down the line that could happen but that's a lot to expect to see it last night.

Soo I wasn't in the thread last night. Anyone care to say what the overall general feel people were having about the Switch was?

It felt like most people were pretty happy with the games shown, but the overall conference seemed like a mess and the lack of games mentioned for Launch(Zelda was shown very last and until that point they talked about just motion games at launch) made it all seem even more of a mess.

I'm around the same boat. I think all the games they've shown look fantastic but I have a hard time thinking about this game for launch with Horizons and Mass Effect both coming out pretty close to launch and seemingly no Mario Maker this year. I will probably hold off until summer to pick one up.

daveo42

Banned
Gotta be honest, I don't quite understand the extreme negativity about the Switch right now. It's nothing amazing and I'm not gonna buy it at launch or anything but people are acting like it's the worst thing ever.

Some of it is overblown to be sure, but it also depends on where people are coming from. I'm sure alot of people hyped it to the moon and back because of the hype cycle and the expectation that this time it'll be the one Nintendo gets right. Kind of like the Sonic cycle at a system level.

The rest is disappointment. They see a game company that made some of the best games of all time, some of the most influential games both personally and for the industry as a whole and watch them flounder over poor pricing decisions and a lack of content to show off what their console can do. They saw the waggle stuff from the Wii rear its head one more time, a novel idea that sold gangbusters but Nintendo didn't learn any lessons when it comes to lasting impact of such a system. They see the sad launch line up support and wonder what happened to the Nintendo of old. Hell, what happened to the Nintendo of 15 years ago?

Dineren

Banned
something like 64gb would have meant i wouldn't need to buy storage immediately. Or if it was 50$ cheaper i'd have gladly eaten the cost for the sd card. As it is the thing will cost me like 400 CHF at least. without a game. Meh.

I'm not surprised it's just that toghether with everything else, the value seems poor. At least as a secondary device.

I'm just happy it supports standard micro sd cards. Considering Nintendo's issues securing their systems I expected them to go for a proprietary format.

I really want to know how it feels as an NES type controller. The offset controls seems so far in and weird from everything I see. Even on the conference last night when demonstrating it the guy didn't even put his thumb over to the actual controls.

hamchan

"Hi, I'm from Sega. We make videogames sometimes. Some might come to the Switch. Thanks. Bye"

Even EA managed to pay more lip service by saying FIFA was coming. Kinda hilarious. Though the last time Nagoshi teamed up with Nintendo was a Yakuza 1+2 HD port that sold less than 2000 copies week 1 so can't blame him for not really committing lol.

I dunno about the Switch. I was totally ready to buy the thing day one but the software support just isn't there. I'll admit to expecting much more from this event, especially since the last couple of years has been anemic on the Wii U in terms of software support, which I thought meant that they were full in with the Switch.

Man this thing looks like it will get decimated by the glut of games that's coming out on PS4 and XBO even in just the first quarter.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The switch thread leading up to the event was hyped to high heavens, so it was funny watching it crash in a way.

Probably still getting it launch.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Never been crazy about dated predictions. Sometimes they just hurt to think what could have been.

tbh I like that Zelda is launch title more than the other way around that they predicted.

The switch thread leading up to the event was hyped to high heavens, so it was funny watching it crash in a way.

Probably still getting it launch.

Already got it pre-ordered because I skipped the Wii U and no way I'll skip a mainline Zelda game.

Mupod

I mean there's no games I'd buy day 1, it's more expensive than I thought it'd be, and has paid online. Not much else to say. Like the look of Mario and Xenoblade, that SMT teaser was hype but god knows when that will come out. I'll be getting Zelda on the Wii U as it'll cost half as much due to old canadian preorder shenanigans.

All they needed was a halfassed monster hunter XX port and I'd be there. As far as I'm concerned the main reason for this system to exist is to get MH back on a TV screen, but everyone thought MH was a lock for the Vita too. I don't think I had unrealistic expectations going in but shit Nintendo you gotta give me something.

Gotta be honest, I don't quite understand the extreme negativity about the Switch right now. It's nothing amazing and I'm not gonna buy it at launch or anything but people are acting like it's the worst thing ever.

I'm not as negative about it as others, but the whole presentation was pretty disappointing. I loved the hybrid concept of the initial preview since I have a train commute but most of what I got during this presentation was a lot of waggle Wii stuff. They barely talked about the hybrid side.

On the price, I think $299 is an okay price, but the with the disappointing launch lineup through 2017, I think it just fed into the negativity. If it came out at $249, I think many people would have gone "ok, that lineup isn't great, but its $249 at least"

Also, the thin launch lineup brings back Wii U memories and with that system's history very fresh in minds, Nintendo should have done more to correct that. Even if they filled the slot with a lot of indie/Steam ports similar to the Vita it would have played better.

I mean there's no games I'd buy day 1, it's more expensive than I thought it'd be, and has paid online. Not much else to say. Like the look of Mario and Xenoblade, that SMT teaser was hype but god knows when that will come out. I'll be getting Zelda on the Wii U as it'll cost half as much due to old canadian preorder shenanigans.

All they needed was a halfassed monster hunter XX port and I'd be there. As far as I'm concerned the main reason for this system to exist is to get MH back on a TV screen, but everyone thought MH was a lock for the Vita too. I don't think I had unrealistic expectations going in but shit Nintendo you gotta give me something.

This honestly would have probably got me as well. lol I skipped it on 3DS expecting it to get a port to Switch.

Zornack

Nothing they've shown makes this look like the handheld/console Nintendo unification people wanted it to be. The first two games they showed don't even work in handheld configuration.

kingocfs

If the online service is as comprehensive as Xbox Live and PSN, I have no problem paying for it. You know, like the other modern consoles.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing they've shown makes this look like the handheld/console Nintendo unification people wanted it to be. The first two games they've shown don't even work in handheld configuration.
That's one point I agree with. There weren't really any handheld/3DS type games.

Nothing they've shown makes this look like the handheld/console Nintendo unification people wanted it to be. The first two games they've shown don't even work in handheld configuration.

I feel like that's just a product of them wanting to convey this is the "best of everything" so much. They want the move controls, the console stuff and the the mobile stuff. They seem to only be showing Splatoon 2 in handheld mode. Unless I'm wrong, I feel like that's the only way I've seen it.

Justin

Was it just me or did it also seem like Suda hadn't actually even touched the thing before. His whole speech was "I was hanging out with some indie devs and they told me it should be easy to develop for and that is good so I think I will make a game for it... but who knows..."

hamchan

Three hour battery life. This thing ain't a handheld.

It kinda feels like the worst of both worlds?

Like, we're paying console price (in Australia at least) for something with worse battery life than current handhelds and with storage that might be appropriate for mobile devices, but entirely unsuitable for a console.

Hindl

What sucks is if Nintendo just did $250 launch price, $60 Pro controllers and $70 for the Joycon + Grip ($110 for the set are you fucking kidding me?) and free online it would be a much better console. Once this thing gets a price drop and they start releasing all those games that got mentioned in passing, the Switch should be a good device. But unless you're a Nintendo diehard there's no value proposition there at all

I feel like that's just a product of them wanting to convey this is the "best of everything" so much. They want the move controls, the console stuff and the the mobile stuff. They seem to only be showing Splatoon 2 in handheld mode. Unless I'm wrong, I feel like that's the only way I've seen it.

Which is weird because Splatoon is an online multiplayer game. Not the kind of game I'd really play on the go. Unless they are thinking of local multiplayer or something.

Catvoca

Banned
I want a warioware game that has weird Switch between handheld and TV mini game shenanigans. There's probably a lot of dumb stuff they could do with the joycons too.

They're showing splatoon on the handheld because they think everyone wants to play with the motion controls. That's how they showed it on Wii U too.

Which is weird because Splatoon is an online multiplayer game. Not the kind of game I'd really play on the go. Unless they are thinking of local multiplayer or something.

It does seem to be the game they're pointing at the most when talking about multiple Switch's playing locally together. Maybe they're thinking of Japan? It's huge with kids in Japan.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Was it just me or did it also seem like Suda hadn't actually even touched the thing before. His whole speech was "I was hanging out with some indie devs and they told me it should be easy to develop for and that is good so I think I will make a game for it... but who knows..."

Yeah.
That Octopus Traveler thing is also just a "Project Name" so that's probably way off.
Same for whatever that SMT title was.

The whole thing reminded me of EA's E3 conference a couple of years ago where they just showed a bunch of prototypes and stuff.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I want a warioware game that has weird Switch between handheld and TV mini game shenanigans. There's probably a lot of dumb stuff they could do with the joycons too.

They're showing splatoon on the handheld because they think everyone wants to play with the motion controls btw. That's how they showed it on Wii U too.

and they are showing ARMS with the motion controlls because of that reason too, even though you can play it without it according to treehouse guy.

Yeah.
That Octopus Traveler thing is also just a "Project Name" so that's probably way off.
Same for whatever that SMT title was.

The whole thing reminded me of EA's E3 conference a couple of years ago where they just showed a bunch of prototypes and stuff.

The SMT game didn't even look like it existed yet. "Let's throw some characters in Unreal and have them hanging out in a room!"

Dineren

Banned
Assuming this thing does not immediately crash and burn I'm not too worried about the software side since more often than not I've been happy with Nintendo's first party output on the Wii U and 3DS. The main thing I wanted was Nintendo focused on one device. I don't really care at all if some games need to be played handheld only and some are dock only.

I always enjoy new platform launches, so I'm excited even if the conference wasn't that great. Hopefully they have more to show soon for those that aren't crazy like me.

Zaph

z8QgGSD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom