• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I showed my nieces the 1 2 Switch trailer and watching them lose their minds was pretty fun. I think I know what they want for their birthdays now.

If Nintendo would talk about a couple more points I could actually be swayed to buy that thing at launch. I'm looking for a tablet-like anyway, if this thing could stream netflix and let me access the internet and youtube I might as well buy that. I mean that doesn't seem like asking too much, right? That should be standard features, right? R-right?

Kohler just posted on Twitter that the free classic game(s) with the Online Switch subscription areonly available for that month then it goes away unlike the XBO and PS4 where you can keep it as long as your subscription is active. Sad!

I'm not gonna pay for multiplayer anyway even if I get this thing but this is just stupid

Kohler just posted on Twitter that the free classic game(s) with the Online Switch subscription areonly available for that month then it goes away unlike the XBO and PS4 where you can keep it as long as your subscription is active. Sad!

Nintendo going to Nintendo. Really dumb. The additional subscription revenue would easily outweigh any sales loss on VC games.

Looking at their history with VC stuff I can totally see them thinking this is how it should be handled. They see it as if it's like a demo or a constantly changing rental. They don't want to hand these games out. Why do you need 3 games after 3 months of paying? You can just have the game of this month and if you want to go back you can buy.

I think it's absolutely stupid, but I can completely see how they think this is justifiable when it comes to their legacy games.

I bet that's the way they're going to position it, too. It seems pretty dumb. I could see myself being OK with that if the online service is like $4.99, but I highly doubt that's going to be the case. I think Nintendo are going to lean closer to $9.99.

That's kinda too high for what they seem to be offering. Kimishima implied there was more to it, so I'm hoping that's the case. If it's not, then I don't think I'm going to be getting it.

Catvoca

Banned
It isnt coming out at launch is it? I cant remember the exact date, but I imagine thats why its not a pack in. Which is a bummer cause it seems like thats the Wii Sports equivalent this time around.

1 2 Switch is a launch title. From the Nintendo UK twitter
C2D-v0TXgAAEI8G.jpg

Gurrry

I showed my nieces the 1 2 Switch trailer and watching them lose their minds was pretty fun. I think I know what they want for their birthdays now.

If Nintendo would talk about a couple more points I could actually be swayed to buy that thing at launch. I'm looking for a tablet-like anyway, if this thing could stream netflix and let me access the internet and youtube I might as well buy that. I mean that doesn't seem like asking too much, right? That should be standard features, right? R-right?

I'm not gonna pay for multiplayer anyway even if I get this thing but this is just stupid

That is really weird that they havent talked about any of that stuff yet. I havent seen anything about the UI or any touch capabilities... hopefully people at the event can shed some light on that stuff.

I realllllllly dont want to pay for a sub for online play. That just isnt going to happen unless its by far the cheapest of all the sub models. $25 a year is about the highest I would go and thats being generous honestly.

Fantastapotamus

Skyrim in autumn? Really?

That is really weird that they havent talked about any of that stuff yet. I havent seen anything about the UI or any touch capabilities... hopefully people at the event can shed some light on that stuff.

I realllllllly dont want to pay for a sub for online play. That just isnt going to happen unless its by far the cheapest of all the sub models. $25 a year is about the highest I would go and thats being generous honestly.

I mean let's be honest here.....how many multiplayer games will there possibly be in the Switch? Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash Bros.
Obviously a bunch of smaller games will feature online MP as well but I'm scratching my head right now coming up with enough games to warrant a monthly fee. No wonder it's "free" until autumn. What would you even play online?

Also this:
Chris Kohler said:
After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it.
That's even worse! Oh Nintendo. You dumb dumb dumb company

I bet that's the way they're going to position it, too. It seems pretty dumb. I could see myself being OK with that if the online service is like $4.99, but I highly doubt that's going to be the case. I think Nintendo are going to lean closer to $9.99.

That's kinda too high for what they seem to be offering. Kimishima implied there was more to it, so I'm hoping that's the case. If it's not, then I don't think I'm going to be getting it.

Shit will be DOA if they think that is even close to possible. Don't know how they could even think they could charge what the other systems charge, let alone more. Nintendo doesn't really have a good history with online services.

I'm really surprised I haven't seen any touch screen mention. I really thought one of the games they showed in the cut of games coming that there looked to be a portable style game with some touch style menu on the screen. But I haven't heard anything about it.

There's no fucking way Xenoblade is a 2017 game.

8-4 has talked about being really busy on something for a while and talking about working on a game while it's being in development which made it weirder. They could be working on this already with them doing the past one(maybe both?).

1 2 Switch is a launch title. From the Nintendo UK twitter
C2D-v0TXgAAEI8G.jpg

Is that accurate for the US too? I was really looking forward to Puyo Puyo Tetris at launch, as it seems a lot more portable friendly than Zelda.

Edit: I could have sworn that Rime was a PS4 exclusive. Weird. Also, they should have really tried to shore up more Indie launch window support. Having Axiom Verge, Stardew Valley, and Shovel Knight ready for launch would have been a great bonus.

Gurrry

I mean let's be honest here.....how many multiplayer games will there possibly be in the Switch? Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash Bros.
Obviously a bunch of smaller games will feature online MP as well but I'm scratching my head right now coming up with enough games to warrant a monthly fee. No wonder it's "free" until autumn. What would you even play online?

The only games I play on my WiiU still require online. Mario Maker and Smash.

I really hope that Mario Maker (if they make a switch version) is viable without an online sub. If not, its easily going to be the most "online required" game of them all considering the only thing you do is upload levels online or play other peoples levels.

But then again, if this thing doesnt have a touch screen... will there even be a Mario maker?

Also this:

That's even worse! Oh Nintendo. You dumb dumb dumb company

After the 3DS Mario Maker this move to an online subscription makes me wonder if they will try to put the Mario Maker online stuff behind the pay wall. They seemingly think that game has value without it.

daveo42

Banned
Jeff, even with the big hat, isn't having a good time. The Switch announcement details seem to have put him into "Fuck This" mode. I don't really blame him. The joy cons are cool, but it all still feels like a real expensive gimmick.

No thats really their plan, its on their switch site

The nes/snes game is available for a month, then its gone.

Oh man...so that is actually true? I really hoped that people (including me) were misreading it. One free game a month you don't get to keep even if you continue to pay for the service is real shitty. And, oddly enough, very Nintendo.

Fantastapotamus

Edit: I could have sworn that Rime was a PS4 exclusive. Weird

It was at one point, but something happened (the game was almost cancelled I believe) and it's now coming to everything, XBO, PC, PS4 and Switch.

Jeff, even with the big hat, isn't having a good time. The Switch announcement details seem to have put him into "Fuck This" mode. I don't really blame him. The joy cons are cool, but it all still feels like a real expensive gimmick.

He also really liked Wii Sports though. I'm just not sure if any of those games are actually fun. They looked goofy but would I actually want to swing my arms around like a maniac? No.
With the Wii at least it was cool to see my movement translated on the screen (IF it worked) but now.....
But then again, my nieces lost their mind over this, so maybe this just isn't for a grouchy old grump like me

TraBuch

Banned
Is that accurate for the US too? I was really looking forward to Puyo Puyo Tetris at launch, as it seems a lot more portable friendly than Zelda.

Edit: I could have sworn that Rime was a PS4 exclusive. Weird. Also, they should have really tried to shore up more Indie launch window support. Having Axiom Verge, Stardew Valley, and Shovel Knight ready for launch would have been a great bonus.
It was until Sony dropped it. Apparently they weren't liking how the game was coming along.

Catvoca

Banned
Jeff's usually pretty level headed with previews. Never too positive or negative beyond "this seems like it could be good" or "this seems bad but who knows".

Hindl

Except... I have read some posts on twitter from people at the event that the Zelda framerate on the Switch is worse than the WiiU version. I mean they have 45 days till it ships so thats time to clean it up right?

It's unclear to me if they also have the WiiU version at the event today or if they are remembering it from the E3 demo.

Conflicting reports. The Wii U isn't there, but Gamespot said after playing Switch today that it isn't as smooth. Then there's reports that it's 900p/30 when docked, and then Eurogamer is saying they were told by reps that it was 1080/60 while docked. But who knows the reps have been wrong before

Gurrry

This snipperclips game looks really cool actually. Although I like the look of ARMS, I dont want to ever do waggle again. This looks more up my alley.

Although I did hear you could play ARMS without motion control. I just wish they would have shown that off.

Hearing that Arms has traditional control options, and seeing the stream... I'm digging it. I like it when Nintendo does really fucking weird new IP.

Except... I have read some posts on twitter from people at the event that the Zelda framerate on the Switch is worse than the WiiU version. I mean they have 45 days till it ships so thats time to clean it up right?

It's unclear to me if they also have the WiiU version at the event today or if they are remembering it from the E3 demo.

Sadly, as someone from the cemu thread said, the best way to play Breath of the Wild might be the Wii U version on cemu.

daveo42

Banned
He also really liked Wii Sports though. I'm just not sure if any of those games are actually fun. They looked goofy but would I actually want to swing my arms around like a maniac? No.
With the Wii at least it was cool to see my movement translated on the screen (IF it worked) but now.....
But then again, my nieces lost their mind over this, so maybe this just isn't for a grouchy old grump like me

Wii Sports was about the best you could ask with the Wiimote. It was designed for it and worked real well. But it's still a gimmick at the end of the day because outside of Wii Sports, there weren't very many good uses or implementations for motion controls. Idk, maybe I'm also being a bit harsh on it because while I think the idea is neat, I'm not a fan of them in Nintendo consoles.

Jeff's usually pretty level headed with previews. Never too positive or negative beyond "this seems like it could be good" or "this seems bad but who knows".

True, but he might not really be on board with the motion stuff again, which seems to be one of the major selling points of the system. He might like the games we are seeing, but the use of motion controls or anything remotely related to user input by way of Wiimote is probably a major negative. At least, based on his previously expressed opinions.

True, but he might not really be on board with the motion stuff again, which seems to be one of the major selling points of the system. He might like the games we are seeing, but the use of motion controls or anything remotely related to user input by way of Wiimote is probably a major negative. At least, based on his previously expressed opinions.

That doesn't seem to be the case, though. There are only 2 games that use it and only one of them actually requires it. Arms has a standard control scheme in addition to the motion.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Damn, watching the special Metal Gear Scanlon between 1 & 2, and my lord Brad has lost a lot of weight since then.

Good on him!

Gurrry

That doesn't seem to be the case, though. There are only 2 games that use it and only one of them actually requires it. Arms has a standard control scheme in addition to the motion.

I think kicking off the presentation last night with the heavy emphasis on motion control really turned some people off, me included. It was then saved with the amazing Mario and Zelda trailers.

I just hope their emphasis internally isnt motion control again.

Xater

The funniest thing to me on the Treehouse stream we the stations no one cares for. Like Just Dance and Skylanders where it's just the reps playing.

daveo42

Banned
Jeff and Dan should get some Just Dance footage.

Based on the amount of time they spent with the controllers during the conference last night and the games they chose speak heavily towards utilizing the joy cons. The alternate control scheme stuff just speaks to Nintendo figuring out that not everyone like the waggle. But they still want you to know its there and use it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The funniest thing to me on the Treehouse stream we the stations no one cares for. Like Just Dance and Skylanders where it's just the reps playing.
And yet Just Dance will probably be one of the topsellers for that system, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom