• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack on my gym and running MP3 player. It's cool how each boss battle is like a playable music video.

qy3b9IA.gif

That's pretty good.

Probably my favorite "lyrics kicking in" moment of the game.

yup. I remember telling myself back when I played the game that the sound mixing for the game was great. The designers didn't simply play the track while you were fighting, no. They went further and made sure that the music was tied to the fight progression. It's amazing.

Also, I can't wait to see Drew's reaction to
Make America Great Again™.

popo

http://jeff.zone/post/155950604511/remember-when-you-guys-wanted-to-split-the-podcast

Kind of worrying that his answer isn't "yeah, that was dumb."

Just how well does the Bombcast do for them?

He knows it was dumb, that is why they dropped it so fast. No need to throw anyone under the bus. Only really because of the current nature of the show though. Plenty of podcasts that don't rely on up to date events gate content that way - as Jeff alluded to.

As to Bombcast. They have said it is by far the biggest thing on the site. Listeners in the hundreds of thousands. So it is more valuable as a way of bringing people to the site than anything else. It is just a shame poscast ads are unlikely to ever pay their way.

time to
leave
them
ALL
BE
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND

Mupod

yup. I remember telling myself back when I played the game that the sound mixing for the game was great. The designers didn't simply play the track while you were fighting, no. They went further and made sure that the music was tied to the fight progression. It's amazing.

Also, I can't wait to see Drew's reaction to
Make America Great Again™.

It's not just the progression either. It's moment to moment based on what you're doing. I noticed it more when replaying on the PC version after I'd already spent a lot of time listening to the soundtrack outside of the game.

I've been a massive sucker for dynamic soundtracks since the days of TIE Fighter and MGR does it better than just about any game I can think of.

Megasoum

Banned
He knows it was dumb, that is why they dropped it so fast. No need to throw anyone under the bus. Only really because of the current nature of the show though. Plenty of podcasts that don't rely on up to date events gate content that way - as Jeff alluded to.

As to Bombcast. They have said it is by far the biggest thing on the site. Listeners in the hundreds of thousands. So it is more valuable as a way of bringing people to the site than anything else. It is just a shame poscast ads are unlikely to ever pay their way.

Pure speculation here but I always felt like the whole split bombcast thing was 100% a "suits" idea (Whiskey's bosses) and the editorial staff was just glad that the community backlashed on it this bad so they could turn around and go see the bosses and say "You see?"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
http://jeff.zone/post/155950604511/remember-when-you-guys-wanted-to-split-the-podcast

Kind of worrying that his answer isn't "yeah, that was dumb."

Just how well does the Bombcast do for them?

also jesus christ dan and drew are the best
He often answers these in a pretty dismissive tone. I can only imagine the garbage he gets in that mailbox...

Guess there has to be a catch to it being one of the more tolerable forms of advertising
It's funny, podcast ads are basically the only ones I don't block or skip and I give them atleast moderate attention. Yet they don't seem to be all that popular for advertisers.

Zaph

Jeff's not wrong about the rise of similar content windowing on Patreon though. But that's mainly thanks to the lack of other options as they often rely on Youtube for distribution, and Google intentionally limits content control there.

Wow, was really not expecting a massive content drop for an entire video series like this. Really looking forward to watching all of these this week. And only hours ago I finished watching and loving today's Contra video and found myself wondering if they'd have anything else go up today with it being a holiday.

ArjanN

This is cool, although watching the first episode now and it's already killing me inside that Drew doesn't even try to parry, and Dan also never seemed to have grasped what a core mechanic it is.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to use a hack type of deal to play it at 1080p60 on PC, the game is kinda broken, but it's worth it. Oh and I think the game is a 22 GB download and 20 GB of that are just video files.

Megasoum

Banned
Drew was right... Solitairica is really good and adictive...

I wonder if Dan tried it, I feel like this is really his kind of commute game.

Mupod

This is cool, although watching the first episode now and it's already killing me inside that Drew doesn't even try to parry, and Dan also never seemed to have grasped what a core mechanic it is.

I won't be able to watch any of it for a while but I'm bracing myself. For years I've been reading posts on GAF from people who somehow got at least up to Monsoon without knowing how to block and it blows my mind.

I love this game so goddamn much.

Edit: 20 or so hours on 360 and then another 30 on Steam. This and DmC were the "easy" entry points into getting me into character action games. So goddamn good.

DmC gets shit on a lot but it's a great way to ease someone into the 'cuhrayzee' genre. It has a much closer structure to DMC/Bayonetta than God of War and its ilk, it's just a lot slower and more forgiving. Playing it actually made me better and I really felt the difference when I went on to my second playthrough of Bayo1, and later on Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I wish for a playthrough of the Earthbound games. I've never played them, but they seem like they would make for a fun series to watch someone go through.

Earthbound is my favorite game but it wouldn't really work, there's just too much reading. I don't know how the guys would react to it. If the humor falls flat, which I suspect, it'd make for a really boring series.

Speaking of Earthbound, Undertale could have made for a really fun series (true ending takes maybe 10 hours on average) if so many of them hadn't already played it.

lol I have a six hour plane ride today and this is the best news. I love giant bomb, seems like they are really trying to go for it this year

strafer

So I just ate a big black bug I didn't notice in my food. I heard something crunchy in my mouth and spat it out on the plate as fast as I could and it was a fucking creature.

Kaizer

Banned
So I just ate a big black bug I didn't notice in my food. I heard something crunchy in my mouth and spat it out on the plate as fast as I could and it was a fucking creature.

Dat Instant Karma

I won't be able to watch any of it for a while but I'm bracing myself. For years I've been reading posts on GAF from people who somehow got at least up to Monsoon without knowing how to block and it blows my mind.

I'll be honest, I never really mastered parrying this game but I'm pretty bad at character action games to begin with. Was very proud when I beat the final boss of MGR.

jaina

I wish for a playthrough of the Earthbound games. I've never played them, but they seem like they would make for a fun series to watch someone go through.
Earthbound would be less entertaining than the Chrono Trigger ER. There are fun characters and situations in the game, but the moment to moment will be tedious and battles outright boring.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to see
the reaction to the "make America great again" line and I hope they know that Mark Mark MacDonald is responsible for it.

guess i have to "love" every game from now on
Either that or your diet will have a lot more protein from now on.

Joeku

Drew was right... Solitairica is really good and adictive...

I wonder if Dan tried it, I feel like this is really his kind of commute game.

I was made aware of Solitairica by UPF and yeah, it's been pretty great.

wow I never knew that you could fail to get the hand and have to slice open the door

Yeah me too. That's what being shit gets you, I guess.

DmC gets shit on a lot but it's a great way to ease someone into the 'cuhrayzee' genre. It has a much closer structure to DMC/Bayonetta than God of War and its ilk, it's just a lot slower and more forgiving. Playing it actually made me better and I really felt the difference when I went on to my second playthrough of Bayo1, and later on Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

Totally. DmC gently eased me into the many things that CAGs regularly do. It was so much slower.

Mother 1 & 2 are both kinda grindy and don't have a ton of plot so I'm not sure they would make great videos but Mother 3 would probably make a good series. It's much more story-focused and fun to watch. Make it a Vinny+Alex run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom