• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earthbound would be less entertaining than the Chrono Trigger ER. There are fun characters and situations in the game, but the moment to moment will be tedious and battles outright boring.

Yeah, Earthbound is more wholesome than it is outright funny. I think they would all get extremely frustrated by the inventory system.

I'd like to see them do a Super Mario RPG ER since that's not a very difficult game and has some pretty good moments in it, but I'm pretty sure the only people that haven't played it are Jeff and Vinny.

oti

Banned
You should probably quote the whole thing, rather than take part of the paragraph without context.

His point is Nintendo's software output has been so low recently that you'd expect it to translate into a much bigger Switch lineup.

I didn't think the line-up was terrible, but the volume and port-focus was more like a company that's coming off the back of a successful console and have only just started a new cycle of games. Like seriously, what has Nintendo been doing these last few years?

Now that I agree with. It's kind of baffling how Nintendo kept up that narrative of "we have to delay Switch launch because games aren't ready" and THIS is what they were talking about?

I bet we'll see more stuff announced though. Nintendo is weird like that.

I don't know why, but I'm sitting here reminiscing about Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, wishing they'd make a new one or at least make a downloadable PC version. I just checked on Amazon to see how much a PC version costs. It was going for $399.99! I still have my PS2 copy, but I'm not going to haul out my PS2 just for that. I wonder how much my PS2 copy is worth if the PC copy is being sold for the price of a PS4 Pro!

ArjanN

well, that's a stupid thing to say. It certainly is a very shitty launch lineup. But if everything that was shown were coming out on launch day it wouldn't be a thin lineup.

I mean, sure, because lauch lineups are usually terrible.

In terms of games Jeff would be interested in playing it probably still would be, i.e. Mario and maybe Zelda.

I see the word Homestruck and I think shit-tier fanfic.

I googled it once or twice before too after hearing it come up in the past, but never really got what exactly it was either, looked like some sort of bad webcomic with community input or something.

I googled Homestuck on Google Images, 99% sure it will be some Anime thing.
I have no idea what that is, it's like 50 completely different images
It's a webcomic that had a very, uh, devoted following among a niche crowd of mostly 14-21 year olds. It's got a lot of videogame influences, namely EarthBound and point-and-click adventure games. Toby Fox of Undertale fame did a lot of music for it, which was pretty dope. It also means that there's a lot of overlap between the Homestuck fandom and the Undertale fandom, so... that should tell you something about what it's like.

Anyway an adventure game based on the comic was Kickstarted for $2.5 million in 2012 and has been in development hell ever since. It was originally going to be developed by The Odd Gentlemen but they dumped it to work on King's Quest instead. So creator Andrew Hussie had to start his own studio to get the thing made which meant the comic, nearing its climax, was often going on hiatus for months and months at a time while he tried to get the game under control. Undertale happened to come out during one of those hiatuses and a lot of the fanbase, frustrated with the lack of motion on the story, decided that those skeletons looked exceptionally fuckable and moved on to flipping their shit about that instead.

robotrock

Banned
It's a webcomic that had a very, uh, devoted following among a niche crowd of mostly 14-21 year olds. It's got a lot of videogame influences, namely EarthBound and point-and-click adventure games. Toby Fox of Undertale fame did a lot of music for it, which was pretty dope. It also means that there's a lot of overlap between the Homestuck fandom and the Undertale fandom, so... that should tell you something about what it's like.

Anyway an adventure game based on the comic was Kickstarted for $2.5 million in 2012 and has been in development hell ever since. It was originally going to be developed by The Odd Gentlemen but they dumped it to work on King's Quest instead. So creator Andrew Hussie had to start his own studio to get the thing made which meant the comic, nearing its climax, was often going on hiatus for months and months at a time while he tried to get the game under control. Undertale happened to come out during one of those hiatuses and a lot of the fanbase, frustrated with the lack of motion on the story, decided that those skeletons looked exceptionally fuckable and moved on to flipping their shit about that instead.

The Odd Gentlemen just dumped it? Were they already signed to work on it?

daveo42

Banned

I remember the hubub around King's Quest and Homestruck community. I thought they were going to work on it in tandem with King's Quest instead of flat out dropping it due to legal reasons.

Tubobutts

I don't know why, but I'm sitting here reminiscing about Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, wishing they'd make a new one or at least make a downloadable PC version. I just checked on Amazon to see how much a PC version costs. It was going for $399.99! I still have my PS2 copy, but I'm not going to haul out my PS2 just for that. I wonder how much my PS2 copy is worth if the PC copy is being sold for the price of a PS4 Pro!
I should see if I still have my PC copy.

The Odd Gentlemen just dumped it? Were they already signed to work on it?

Nobody really knows because neither side will comment publicly. All we know is that they announced that they were working on Homestuck in 2014 and then suddenly a few months later they were no longer working on it and Hussie was starting a new studio to finish the game. At around 1 minute into this video TOG mentions having "another project" in addition to King's Quest. Clearly there was some unexpected shit because the dude basically had to put the comic on hold for a year while he sorted everything out.

Also the game was going to be 3D but the first trailer looked like dogshit and so they scrapped that and remade it in 2D. So... if this game is any good at all I will be pretty amazed.

Jintor

There are so damn many codec convos too. There are like 100 optional ones for every story one also. It's packed with VO that is completely missable in a casual playthough. Not that any of it is more coherent than the usual Metal Gear stuff, but there is a LOT of it.

So much better written than almost all of MGSV's codecs, too

Mupod

I'm so weirdly excited for Resident Evil 7. I don't even know why.

I've been viewing it with caution since the start...I love survival horror but I hate the penumbra/amnesia knockoffs that got popular in the last few years. I wanted to be sure that we had a Resident Evil game on our hands.

I normally would try and stay dark on the game but I had to know more about it so I watched the VR guy's stream for a bit yesterday. I went and preordered it on GMG right after (early boss spoiler)
you fight Jack and he picks up a set of chainsaw scissors while saying "GROOVY". Then you have a fucking chainsaw duel.

Binged the first four episodes of MGSR. The Monsoon cutscene is right there at the top of my most watched cutscenes list, so dumb and good.

Glad Drew picked easy, the episodes where he got super frustrated were always the worst during mainline games.

robotrock

Banned
Binged the first four episodes of MGSR. The Monsoon cutscene is right there at the top of my most watched cutscenes list, so dumb and good.

Glad Drew picked easy, the episodes where he got super frustrated were always the worst during mainline games.

Haven't got to that episode yet but the the whole Monsoon boss fight is my favorite in MGR

Zaph

QBJnshr.png

Had me real confused for a while there

Mupod

on the one hand I feel like everyone should have to fight MGR's final boss on hard for the experience. On the other hand it might have taken them 30 episodes.

robotrock

Banned
I suck at these games but I found the Revengence difficulty option (unlocked with the Konami code) to be a really well balanced way to play the game.

I played MGS1-4 on the second to most easy difficulties when I first played them because I was just there for the story

Does anyone remember what interview/video had the guys remind Ed Boon that they released a Mortal Kombat game with a kart racing mini-game? Was reminded of it in the Injustice 2 thread since a new trailer is out tomorrow.

Kirlia

Banned

Homestuck is suffering. I followed it starting in late 2011 and it was definitely a ride. I very much have love/hate feelings towards it.
Kismesis, I guess, if you know Homestuck's terminology.
The music is absolutely one of Homestuck's strengths.

I will also be surprised (pleasantly) if the game is good.

real talk: pretty happy with how they've been pumping premium content out so far this year

can't imagine they keep this ridiculous pace up all year long, but hopefully we don't have as many dry spells as last year

BearPawB

Banned
I'm glad Austin and Patrick found a place where they can be themselves and not have to hide this shit.
They are political people. I am glad they can express themselves

But I still can't listen to political podcasts. Just makes me depressed

So many blade mode prompts skipped, lol.

Re: Waypoint, I haven't listened to this week's yet but it sounds like the kind of thing I was hoping for from them. Most gaming outlets go so far out of their way to avoid politics and current events that it's pretty refreshing to have one going the exact opposite direction. (Edit: To be clear, I don't necessarily have anything against sites wanting to avoid that stuff.)

So many blade mode prompts skipped, lol.

Re: Waypoint, I haven't listened to this week's yet but it sounds like the kind of thing I was hoping for from them. Most gaming outlets go so far out of their way to avoid politics and current events that it's pretty refreshing to have one going the exact opposite direction. (Edit: To be clear, I don't necessarily have anything against sites wanting to avoid that stuff.)

Yeah it's exactly what I want from them. I'm glad that they did that report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom