• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phediuk

I've decided to listen to all the early Bombcasts, since I didn't start listening until GOTY 2010.

Starting from the very first one, when it was called the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast. Christ this is weird. The audio quality is awful, the pace of conversation is slower, it's just Ryan and Jeff, they don't swear, all the music is different, and the episodes are half the length they are today.

Phediuk

Also, for the first several episodes they spend the first 25% of the podcast just trying different flavors of soda. I mean Christ, guys, this makes Dan's wrestling talk seem bearable in comparison.

Zornack

Also, for the first several episodes they spend the first 25% of the podcast just trying different flavors of soda. I mean Christ, guys, this makes Dan's wrestling talk seem bearable in comparison.

Soda was big in the late 2000's. Everyone was doing it.

Phediuk

I wonder where all those $10 HD-DVDs that Jeff said he would buy are now. He said he really wanted The Last Starfighter and was thinking about Fletch too.

Phediuk

Okay, 26 minutes into an 88-minute podcast, they finally mentioned video games.

The announcement of Red Alert 3 was the very first gaming-related discussion on the Bombcast.

Neither of them have yet mentioned what games they've been playing, though. The Bombcast format hadn't been codified yet.

Otnopolit

Okay, 26 minutes into an 88-minute podcast, they finally mentioned video games.

The announcement of Red Alert 3 was the very first gaming-related discussion on the Bombcast.

Neither of them have yet mentioned what games they've been playing, though. The Bombcast format hadn't been codified yet.

That's not true at all, they spoke about what they've been playing within the first 20 minutes. Unless you're referring to the Beastcast?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You realize him reading the chat is clearly part of his job right?

Also, I feel most of the GB livestreams could use someone paying more attention to chat to pass on useful information, because outside of the occasional troll, collectively they're still going to be more informed on anything than anyone in the room.

You realize they've had other people read chat before and do a far better job of filtering out the dumb questions from the good ones right?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've decided to listen to all the early Bombcasts, since I didn't start listening until GOTY 2010.

Starting from the very first one, when it was called the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast. Christ this is weird. The audio quality is awful, the pace of conversation is slower, it's just Ryan and Jeff, they don't swear, all the music is different, and the episodes are half the length they are today.

Well Arrow Pointing Down began literally weeks after Jeff was fired from Gamespot as I recall. Ryan joined him by leaving the company soon after and together they were trying to figure out how to proceed and were just doing a podcast out of Jeff's house with minimal equipment.

Not too long after when the idea for GB emerged, they conscripted Vinny and Brad from the Gamespot fold to join them(outside of Rich Gallup this was the core team for the Gamespot podcast and video content at the time), but for a good while it was just the two of them unsure what the next stage of their life would hold.

Edit: Also you could go back in time even further and check out the archives for the 'On the Spot' podcast on Gamespot(if they still exist?) It's basically the Giant Bombcast circa the PS2 and early 360 era with practically the same crew(Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, and occasionally Alex, Brad. Rich is the only regular host/chair that didn't join GB later) Those podcasts were equally as enjoyable then as GB has been for years.

LiK

Well Arrow Pointing Down began literally weeks after Jeff was fired from Gamespot as I recall. Ryan joined him by leaving the company soon after and together they were trying to figure out how to proceed and were just doing a podcast out of Jeff's house with minimal equipment.

Not too long after when the idea for GB emerged, they conscripted Vinny and Brad from the Gamespot fold to join them, but for a good while it was just the two of them unsure what the next stage of their life would hold.

correct. i still rememeber when Ryan and Jeff were talking about buying a shitload of equipment from Best Buy for the new office.

Phediuk

Lost Odyssey for 360 was the very first new release discussed, but only for about 1 minute, and Ryan said he wasn't a fan of the game or the genre.

Chuck

Still without luck
Why does rorie say "efefex" but also says "final fantasy fifteen" and "final fantasy twelve"?

This alone should keep him banned from the Bombcast.

bjork

which one

The cereal one. I sent it awhile back, then when Brad solicited emails in December, I sent it again. Glad to put a mystery to rest.

Why does rorie say "efefex" but also says "final fantasy fifteen" and "final fantasy twelve"?

He says "ecks-2" and this week he also said executable like he was Will Smith. He needs a stern talking to.

Brandon F

He is the king of mispronunciation. Also see him say 'Jerralt', the protag from W3.

Phediuk

Wow, id was already talking about Rage in February 2008?

I don't remember that game taking that long to come out.

Edit: yep, Wikipedia confirms it was announced in August 2007.

Brandon F

Wow, id was already talking about Rage in February 2008?

I don't remember that game taking that long to come out.

Edit: yep, Wikipedia confirms it was announced in August 2007.

Yea, id was talking big about Megatextures in their new engine LOOONG before Rage ever came to pass.

Zaph

APD was great

make sure to watch How To Build A Bomb too

FStop7

Banned
How did Watch_Dogs 2 not get best style? That is so crazy. It's the only category where they went off the rails.

Wunder

Demo Derby is my favorite feature, but they should probably just retire it

and I'm not convinced we're ever going to see another Game Tapes

Demo Derby will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the catalyst for MGScanlon.

Game Tapes is pretty hit and miss since it depends on how much nostalgia/knowledge I have for that particular event, but I still like it

How did Watch_Dogs 2 not get best style? That is so crazy. It's the only category where they went off the rails.

SUPERHOT's style encapsulates and can be seen in literally every part of the game. It's a cohesive whole. It's not even close. It stands toe to toe with something like Hotline Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom