• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

On one hand, I do like to see their first hand impressions of new games (even if I put zero stake in their opinions).

On the other hand, quick looks are consistently some of the most boring, humourless content they produce. I actively get excited for series like This is the Run and Metal Gear, whereas I'll watch any given quick look and end up saying "yup, that was definitely a half hour of that game". The main value of quick looks is getting decent exposure to games I might not have ever played.

UPF still ranks high on my favourite series, though it definitely has highs and lows. The episode can be incredible, or a complete waste of time.

You can generally tell when they're genuinely stoked on the content they are making, because it really doesn't happen often. This is the Run is a good example, you can clearly see Vinny and Dan are enjoying asking it, and it's infectious. Almost every quick look is probably born out of "okay we just got this in, someone needs to record a quick look of it. Any takers?"

Pretty much. At some point QLs became a pick and choose option for me, unless there was a severe drought of content, I always prioritized premium/features over QLs. Unless it's a specific game I wanted to know more about or a bad game like Motorbike, most QLs don't do it for me.

Phediuk

7/29/2008 Bombcast

Ryan wishes Telltale would make something original, rather than just licensed games. He's heard that Telltale is working on a new IP and is looking forward to it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
TBF will brought it up, and jason said that he didn't talked about it before because of the game's connections with Dan.

Just to bring in some context.

neshcom

Banned
I'm confused when people say this. What do you primarily come to GB for, if not screen time and/or recurring game coverage? I fucking love that shit and couldn't really care less if they put out one QL a month if that meant more series of different games that are either first time playthroughs or revisiting an old favorite.
I won't argue my personal taste too much. I enjoy more face time with the duders but I also like seeing new games because I get more enjoyment out of experiencing new games with them (and sometimes going and playing those games). Mega Man is fine, but I consider the gameplay the meat and I don't really care about it. Same for Contra. If I don't connect with the gameplay and the best part is them talking about other things, they might as well just do four hours a week of off-topic podcasting.

And with West Coast getting into play dates and being seriously short on personalities, the only thing I look forward to is new games in UPF and QLs from that coast.

Phediuk

7/29/2008 Bombcast

Jeff says that he paid for a plane ticket to Reno and flew out just to play Mortal Kombat 3.

Brad says he waited outside an arcade for 12 hours straight for the MK2 cabinets to be converted to MK3.

What's the problem?

Them covering something a current employee of the site had a role in doesn't really feel right, particularly in light of what Jeff already said about that exact game.

I'm not super pissed, cancel my subscription outraged about it and the circumstances make it pretty clear that they're not plugging the game, but it still seems like sketchy territory.

Anyone got a clue about the "One Thousand Eighty Pees: The Stream" that's scheduled for later today?

They're testing their 1080p gear over on the West. Rorie nearly said "don't expect amazing content" when talking about it on the DR stream.

This complete disregard for ethics in journalism must end! If I can't trust my video game comedy podcast for ethical integrity, who can I trust??

calm down

Them covering something a current employee of the site had a role in doesn't really feel right, particularly in light of what Jeff already said about that exact game.

I'm not super pissed, cancel my subscription outraged about it and the circumstances make it pretty clear that they're not plugging the game, but it still seems like sketchy territory.
They disclosed the relationship.

repeater

7/29/2008 Bombcast

Jeff says that he paid for a plane ticket to Reno and flew out just to play Mortal Kombat 3.

Brad says he waited outside an arcade for 12 hours straight for the MK2 cabinets to be converted to MK3.
Wow, that must have been such a bummer waiting for 12 hours to play a game that wasn't even half as good as the previous one.

Yeah, I know. If it was any other situation I'd probably be cool with it. It's probably on me, but Jeff explicitly saying they wouldn't cover the game just makes it a bit of an awkward situation.

They only talked about it

Can they never ever talk about or nor mention extra-curricular games that the crews been in? That's stupid.

TriAceJP

Did we listen to the same podcast? A guest brought up games he was playing, gave a brief description, and ended with Brad saying he should try it, and that Dan had a voice role.

Zero reason to be upset.

ahahaha, Skittles and Parmesan Cheese Goldfish is a Ryckert-caliber food combo

Did we listen to the same podcast? A guest brought up games he was playing, gave a brief description, and ended with Brad saying he should try it, and that Dan had a voice role.

Zero reason to be upset.

There was a bit more to it than that, since it was mostly Jason praising the game in particular that gave me pause.

Can they never ever talk about or nor mention extra-curricular games that the crews been in? That's stupid.

Again, if it was any other situation, I'd be alright with it.

Dan's IMDB page

Daniel Ryckert - Alejandro Pineda in Bulletface

Trailer

Is this real?

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...n-ryckert-movie-star&GroupKeys=blogs/members/

Asylumrunner: So Dan, the reason I called you for this interview was that I was watching my favorite action movie, Bulletface...

Dan Ryckert: Oh no (laughs).

Asylumrunner: Anyway, I was watching Bulletface, when I noticed one of the minor characters looked a lot like you. Any explainations?

DR: Yeah, well, you see, I needed some startup money to kick off the alpha build of Air Force Gator, so I took a vacation from my job and went down to Hollywood. I got a bit part in Bulletface as a character called Alejandro Pineda, an illegal immigrant with good intentions that got into the drug trade to feed his family back home. Sadly, most of my parts got cut out. Around 43 minutes into the movie, you can see me.

Snagret

ahahaha, Skittles and Parmesan Cheese Goldfish is a Ryckert-caliber food combo

There was a bit more to it than that, since it was mostly Jason praising the game in particular that gave me pause.

Again, if it was any other situation, I'd be alright with it.
What exactly are you worried about? If they crossed any ethical barriers, it was certainly accidental. no dubious intent, and if it was what would it be? It just seems like a harmless oversight, and an extremely small one considering they didn't spend very much time talking about the game and were very upfront about Dan's involvement in the game. The site itself (and probably Dan, given the way VAs are typically compensated in this industry) does not have any financial investment in the success of the game so talking positively about it doesn't really benifit them.

It's not like you're raking them over the coals for this, but I don't think I really understand where you're coming from here.

repeater

It's funny, Nietzsche actually discussed this:

What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'The GBGaf thread as you now read it and have read it, you will have to read once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.'

robotrock

Banned
It's funny, Nietzsche actually discussed this:
It's true. Hats off to this thread for making the "vinny is leaving" shit last three pages.

Convinced something isn't right here. thread could be some kind of weird social experiment, wouldn't be surprised if some posters in here know what they're doing when they pull an old topic like that

Just a friendly reminder for Dan:

77EJxJm.png

Someone needs to compile a list of the stuff Dan said he'd do if he got married

By my count so far he is coming down the aisle in a glorious pyrotechnics display as a band dressed up as Waluigis and a Shrek is playing the music from City Connection

I don't know why but I could watch Brad play Dead Rising 24/7.

It's totally because of how much I enjoy Dead Rising, but agreed

Brad should go for 7 Day Survivor in the West studio for the next Extra Life stream. He can do it while Drew and Alexis do shit, that way it isn't dead air the entire time.

What exactly are you worried about? If they crossed any ethical barriers, it was certainly accidental. no dubious intent, and if it was what would it be? It just seems like a harmless oversight, and an extremely small one considering they didn't spend very much time talking about the game and were very upfront about Dan's involvement in the game. The site itself (and probably Dan, given the way VAs are typically compensated in this industry) does not have any financial investment in the success of the game so talking positively about it doesn't really benifit them.

It's not like you're raking them over the coals for this, but I don't think I really understand where you're coming from here.

I'm not really concerned, the segment just stuck out because I was aware of Jeff's prior comments about it.

also I'm really tired and sick so I'm probably talking out of my ass a bit more than I usually am

Jamie OD

77EJxJm.png

By my count so far he is coming down the aisle in a glorious pyrotechnics display as a band dressed up as Waluigis and a Shrek is playing the music from City Connection

Triple H's theme music is in there somewhere too.

Wunder

77EJxJm.png

omfg that shrek im dying

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Yeah, obviously Jason was only praising the game because Dan was in it. Obviously.
Come on now.

Remember Building the Bastion? Remember how many times they had Brad Muir on some show? If you want a hard line drawn between journalists and developers GB is not the place to go and never was.

Watching some of Jeff's youtube streams and got to the Spectrum one and WHAT THE LIVING FUCK at those loading sounds. What is the reason for something so horrid? Could you mute it back in the day?

Strax

Yeah, obviously Jason was only praising the game because Dan was in it. Obviously.
Come on now.

Remember Building the Bastion? Remember how many times they had Brad Muir on some show? If you want a hard line drawn between journalists and developers GB is not the place to go and never was.

While I agree it didn't bother me, at least not in this context, I think having friends that make games come on shows isn't even close to talking about games that GB guys are involved with. Frankly given the nature of big companies I'm shocked that CBSi would allow it.

Zaph

There's a big difference between preview coverage/dev interviews, and actively being part of a game.

I get Jeff's reasoning, and he's obviously the most experienced on this topic, but I think he should have told Dan no.

patapuf

While I agree it didn't bother me, at least not in this context, I think having friends that make games come on shows isn't even close to talking about games that GB guys are involved with. Frankly given the nature of big companies I'm shocked that CBSi would allow it.

The CBS that fired people because they wouldn't pander to advertisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom