• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yessssss, we've got TITR on the schedule for tomorrow afternoon. But, I'm sure this will be the unmitigated disaster run we've all been predicting where they don't even get past the snowfield.

I like that after all the drama and hemming and hawing in the past, the only ideas GB has for features currently are essentially Endurance Runs... (not that I'm complaining).

This made me feel old...

t4wvTTt.png

I am pretty sure all of them were great.

BearPawB

Banned
I like that after all the drama and hemming and hawing in the past, the only ideas GB has for features currently are essentially Endurance Runs... (not that I'm complaining).

I don't think it is the "playing one game" part of endurance runs that they dislike.
It is forcing it to be an everyday feature.

I don't think it is the "playing one game" part of endurance runs that they dislike.
It is forcing it to be an everyday feature.

The "everyday feature" part is something they insisted on and not really what the people asking for endurance runs all those years demanded.

What really changed is that they hired Dan.

Xater

Yeah those games are pretty long. Did they say they wanna do the whole series? Cos that seriously will take forever at a rate of 1 video a week, there's like 8 of them haha

Some of the earlier games I remember being shorter but from 4 on they are enormous.

popo

Cool, do the tickets come with a t-shirt?

They come with a chance of winning 300 bucks.

Screening WWE to an audience without a licence and sweepstake betting are both illegal. Doubt anyone gives a shit over 30 people though.

Watching some of Jeff's youtube streams and got to the Spectrum one and WHAT THE LIVING FUCK at those loading sounds. What is the reason for something so horrid? Could you mute it back in the day?

Binary data encoded as analogue pulses, the flashing borders represent that too.

Most Spectrum software was originally distributed on audio cassette tapes. The software was encoded on tape as a sequence of pulses that may sound similar to the sounds of a modern day modem. Since ZX Spectrum had only a rudimentary tape interface, data was recorded using an unusually simple and very reliable modulation, similar to pulse-width modulation but without a constant clock rate. Pulses of different widths (durations) represent 0s and 1s. A "zero" is represented by a ~244 μs pulse followed by a gap of the same duration (855 clock ticks each at 3.5 MHz) for a total ~489 μs;[11] "one" is twice as long, totaling ~977 μs. This allows for 1023 "ones" or 2047 "zeros" to be recorded per second. Assuming an even proportion of each, the resulting average speed was ~1365 bit/s. Higher speeds were possible using custom machine code loaders instead of the ROM routines.
Naturally, a standard 48K program would take about 5 minutes to load: 49152 bytes × 8 = 393216 bits; 393216 bits / 1350 baud ≈ 300 seconds = 5 minutes. In reality, however, a 48K program usually took between 3–4 minutes to load (because of different number of 0s and 1s encoded using pulse-width modulation), and 128K programs could take 12 or more minutes to load. Experienced users could often tell the type of a file, e.g. machine code, BASIC program, or screen image, from the way it sounded on the tape.

Wunder

Yeah, what would you like to know about her training?

What are the different target/options for, and what am I actually getting out of the training? I've done the 1 and 2 million yen options as they're the only ones available - I assume I have to put more points into her style to unlock more. I got the Heat drink both times, is that all I'm supposed to get out of it?

Binary data encoded as analogue pulses, the flashing borders represent that too.

I actually used to have an old Roland drum machine from the 80s that used this method for saving patches and patterns. massive pain in the ass, but still kind of cool in a way.

Aerocrane

What are the different target/options for, and what am I actually getting out of the training? I've done the 1 and 2 million yen options as they're the only ones available - I assume I have to put more points into her style to unlock more. I got the Heat drink both times, is that all I'm supposed to get out of it?

Have you spoken to her after doing her two training courses? You will only get the Tatsu Brand Drinks from doing the 1 and 2 million yen courses. You should unlock an additional form of training later, but you might need to upgrade the Beast style more. You should have unlocked the moves so that you have a path on the sphere grid to the moves that have a M icon and a lock sign on them. Those are the moves that you will learn from the training.

They come with a chance of winning 300 bucks.

Screening WWE to an audience without a licence and sweepstake betting are both illegal. Doubt anyone gives a shit over 30 people though.

Honestly, I got a little worried about it when I saw Dan tweet it. UFC recently went after a guy that screened an event at the gym he ran.
I would assume a bar should know better about screening a PPV event, so hopefully he picked out a bar that had already paid the commercial license or whatever.

Looking at their website, they don't have a specific event setup for the Royal Rumble, but the page does imply they've done UFC and WWE events in the past, so I imagine they're on the up-and-up with this. It'd mostly be Dan's illegal gambling that would come under and scrutiny.

bjork

Ryan and Jeff talking about Rocket Raccoon in 2011 before most people knew who he was fun.

Ryan had a pretty good knowledge of comics. Maybe not "this issue, this panel" kind of stuff, but "just enough to be dangerous" as he would've said.

I think Dan may be hugely underestimating the Giant Bomb fanbase with his raffle thing. Drew and Danny had much bigger numbers than Dan is suggesting (double, triple, more), and that was supposed to be soley a F1 centric thing in Austin Texas. Hopefully his choice of location is able to handle a mass of GB people along with others likely already using it to watch the Rumble.

I think Dan may be hugely underestimating the Giant Bomb fanbase with his raffle thing. Drew and Danny had much bigger numbers than Dan is suggesting (double, triple, more), and that was supposed to be soley a F1 centric thing in Austin Texas. Hopefully his choice of location is able to handle a mass of GB people along with others likely already using it to watch the Rumble.

It was way more than that in Austin. They reserved a table that could maybe hold 10 people. Over 100 showed up.

Wunder

Have you spoken to her after doing her two training courses? You will only get the Tatsu Brand Drinks from doing the 1 and 2 million yen courses. You should unlock an additional form of training later, but you might need to upgrade the Beast style more. You should have unlocked the moves so that you have a path on the sphere grid to the moves that have a M icon and a lock sign on them. Those are the moves that you will learn from the training.

Ah! That makes a lot more sense, I was wondering how to unlock those M skills.

I just got into Chapter 3 so I'm using Majima now and can't check my skills with Kiryu

Thanks! Do you think you could break down the 3 styles and what the situations they're best at? I use Beast mainly in group situations with a lot of items around and generally use Brawler as my go-to. Haven't found a decent use for Rush yet since I feel way more comfortable with Brawler's strength.

ev0

That bar is a place where my work will sometimes hold stuff for us, its big but always crowded and for something large you kind of need your own space.

If he is only getting room for 30 people it could be tough. There will probably be room for others but they might have to mingle with the normal customers

Aerocrane

Ah! That makes a lot more sense, I was wondering how to unlock those M skills.

I just got into Chapter 3 so I'm using Majima now and can't check my skills with Kiryu

Thanks! Do you think you could break down the 3 styles and what the situations they're best at? I use Beast mainly in group situations with a lot of items around and generally use Brawler as my go-to. Haven't found a decent use for Rush yet since I feel way more comfortable with Brawler's strength.

I just think that rush is a bad style to be honest. The ability to stun blocking enemies is alright, but really you can counter blocking enemies by grabbing them in the other fighting styles. It has far less heat moves than the other styles too, or at the very least it seems like it. Beast is good if there are a lot of objects around that you can use as weapons. Beast style can be a bit slow, so you might find that it isn't so effective against some bosses. Otherwise I would just use Brawler style.

Man, Comcast is the worst! Our X1 box started having freezing issues, but unfortunately had a ton of recordings. Thankfully we had Cloud DVR. I did a bit of research (on the Xfinity website) and found if you have Cloud DVR and your recordings were recorded from June 2016 and newer, those recordings would repopulate the new box. I brought it to the Xfinity Store and the people there said that was all correct, but we would need to contact Xfinity customer service to initiate the process of restoring the old recordings. We call them, and they tell us that's not possible. We tell them it says it is right on their very own website and by their employees. It gets escalated to the floor manager. He says the same thing. We tell them we are looking at the FAQ and tell him what it says. He says he has the same FAQ and that's he's not seeing that section and it's not possible to do what we were saying. He said the Xfinity FAQ and the Xfinity Store we went to were all wrong. My mother than asks if there was any compensation and he says the best they can do is a $10 credit. She declines and hangs up. A few moments later, our recordings are working on the new box. Impossible, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom