• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzacat

Banned
I wish TNT could come back but I get why it wont.

Managing a TNT friends list is probably a total pain.
Its not like we are swimming in online shooters like we where back in 2010.

They had so many good TNT's tho...
Managing it would be easier now because of Xbox, PSN and steam followers and group systems

GB having one of the biggest clans in TF2 with its system leaves something to do as a video. Especially since everyone likes tf2 mp (I think)

I always find it annoying they stick with stuff like TNT and UPF until it goes stale because with games it's so easy to come up with new ideas.

In 10 minutes I could come up with 50 GB show ideas that would be fun to watch and only require them to sit on a couch and play games.

East are a bit better with doing stuff like that at least.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They've certainly stepped back from taking risks with features for some reason. Looks like they are back to trying things again, though.

robotrock

Banned
But they have a live podcast. They can have a segment with people calling in instead. Why this?

this is like saying "they have quick looks, why have UPF"

But I imagine it's probably hard to manage on Drew's end to screen questions in real time like he did on UPF, and it's probably worth the effort for an episode dedicated to it, rather than a 30 minute podcast segment.

oti

Banned
this is like saying "they have quick looks, why have UPF"

But I imagine it's probably hard to manage on Drew's end to screen questions in real time like he did on UPF, and it's probably worth the effort for an episode dedicated to it, rather than a 30 minute podcast segment.

No it's not. QL are for new games. UPF is for whatever. Look, I'm not saying UPF is amazing or anything, but why turn it into another live podcast? I really don't get it.

Meguro

Banned
That's a pretty bad comparison because I remember people in this very thread complaining that UPF kinda just turned into playing games they would otherwise QL.
Heck they put up a UPF segment AS a QL once!

robotrock

Banned
No it's not. QL are for new games. UPF is for whatever. Look, I'm not saying UPF is amazing or anything, but why turn it into another live podcast? I really don't get it.

I want another live podcast more than UPFs recently which have been almost exclusively a mix of: janky early access games, weird fighting games, brad's trophy and achievement hunts, drew history strategy games, drew flight simulators

i still like UPFs but they've absolutely gotten a bit formulaic and I like this new approach where they get to talk a bit more in depth about topics that they might not hit every podcast.

oti

Banned
That's a pretty bad comparison because I remember people in this very thread complaining that UPF kinda just turned into playing games they would otherwise QL.
Heck they put up a UPF segment AS a QL once!
So the solution is to turn it into a live podcast? Come on.

I want another live podcast more than UPFs recently which have been almost exclusively a mix of: janky early access games, weird fighting games, brad's trophy and achievement hunts, drew history strategy games, drew flight simulators

i still like UPFs but they've absolutely gotten a bit formulaic and I like this new approach where they get to talk a bit more in depth about topics that they might not hit every podcast.
the podcasts are 3h long, that's not enough time?

They could also just spin the call in show into a new feature? This episode was great and I would love a new call in podcast with some regularity, but having that replace UPF sporadically isn't a great solution, imo. Also if they're partially doing it because sometimes couch UPF is bad, they aren't really solving that either. (I like UPF but it can be pretty variable in quality at times)

Honestly with east doing regular fun games streams/features, I could see them changing UPF or replacing it with something more specific like a lot of the east features are. It made a lot of sense when everything else was just quick looks and they wanted a space to do miscellaneous stuff, but it seems like they could maybe think up some stronger segments. I like that they've started using the Playdate nomenclature, cause I'm hoping for more of that stuff.

Also, they should do another old games show proper.

robotrock

Banned
So the solution is to turn it into a live podcast? Come on.

This is only the second live podcast on the site.
They could also just spin the call in show into a new feature? This episode was great and I would love a new call in podcast with some regularity, but having that replace UPF sporadically isn't a great solution, imo. Also if they're partially doing it because sometimes couch UPF is bad, they aren't really solving that either. (I like UPF but it can be pretty variable in quality at times)
it's possible they just feel tired of doing the studio UPF every friday like they have been doing for like four years now too. I would hope this move also improves the quality of couch UPF

Here are some simple show ideas.

• They play 2/3 games that were released on this week in the past.
  • Where they choose a hard game / level and attempt to beat it.
  • Where they take a game and add their own challenges to complete a level/sequence.
  • They play a game from their backlog.
  • Try a new series they'd never played before.
  • Play a game and discuss it's relevance/importance/impact on the industry.
  • Try different mods / custom levels for a game.
  • Play a competitive game and tried to improve week on week (CS etc).
  • Try to speedrun games.
  • Play a game in a different style (eg Jeff plays a mage rather than soldier)
  • Play against the community in a weekly comp game.

I could keep going on and on. You do one of them a year that's 50 different shows for the year. I mean, come on...

PizzaFace

Banned

They could:

• Where they take a game and add their own challenges to complete a level/sequence.
  • Try to speedrun games.

No instead let's sit in our podcast room and answer the phone

pizzacat

Banned
I think the idea of upf is kinda dumb. I'm one of the people who actually like it because I don't hate everything that west does. But the idea of doing something at the end of a workday like they do idk, it just stifles any type of fun they might have since they just want to go home, well I'mean guessing they do because that's how I feel during the last 2 hours of work

Im prolly talking outta my ass since this probably isn't the last thing they do before heading off to home but ya know maybe find an earlier time to see how it goes

robotrock

Banned
what was the last GB West feature that was actually interesting because of the game on the screen? i think we have hitman but otherwise, I'm just there to hear the people talk. like I don't even look at dead rising being played, i'm just there for the drew/brad/rorie chemistry

Harpuia

Not gonna lie, Beast single handedly makes my premium sub worth it. Anything with them is a joy to watch. They're so good. I don't even listen to the bombcast anymore. I've replaced the bombcast with beastcast/waypoint. I liked Austin too much to stop following him.

oti

Banned
This is only the second live podcast on the site.

it's possible they just feel tired of doing the studio UPF every friday like they have been doing for like four years now too. I would hope this move also improves the quality of couch UPF

You need more than one weekly 3h long live podcast? I'm sorry, but I really don't get it.

So the complaint was that UPF, the only regular video content, has become boring so the solution is to turn it into a podcast show with cameras?

Come on. I love them, but come on.

When there was no live podcast this was refreshing and different and totally fine. But this doesn't make much sense. They are recording podcast live, they can do a call in segment just fine on there.

I don't get the push for a video podcast at all. I don't think it adds anything to the site, and I feel like it actively takes away from the podcast, since the one running the video is doing camera changes and stuff and is focusing on that more than the discussion. I think the video podcast is totally unnecessary and brings nothing to the table.

That being said, I'm actually really upset to hear that UPF is now going to be switched up and a podcast with call ins half of the time. I'm sorry but that sounds absolutely horrible. I have never been interested in any call in shows, and even if the callers aren't as bad as a pax panel or something like that, it's unnecessary and boring. I was all ready to watch UPF yesterday and sat down a bit after 3 to relax after shoveling snow to watch the guys hang out and play some games, then I see a bunch of guys sitting around a table doing a live podcast and then announce call ins. I watched for maybe 5 mins and was out. I was completely turned off.

I'm not saying UPF is absolutely amazing most of the time, and the last one was really really bad, but to not play any games at all isn't "mixing it up" to me, it's just making more and more of a case for west really dropping the ball. I'm really really disappointed to hear they are going to do more live podcasts. I watch every piece of content GB does, but I actively will stop watching UPF when they do call in podcasts, because I don't think it adds anything. I'm not going to unsubscribe or anything, GB is still amazing, but man, what a backwards step in my opinion.

• Try to speedrun games.

I could keep going on and on. You do one of them a year that's 50 different shows for the year. I mean, come on...

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad.
They've done half this stuff anyway.

Giant Bomb isn't about the games. It about the personalities. Go watch GameGramps or something else if you just want to see Lets Plays or whatever.

J_Viper

• Try to speedrun games.

No offense, but no, this all sounds lame and doesn't fit what Giant Bomb is

"discuss it's relevance/importance/impact on the industry"?

Lmao what site do you think this is?

No offense, but no, this all sounds lame and doesn't fit what Giant Bomb is

"discuss it's relevance/importance/impact on the industry"?

Lmao what site do you think this is?
One of their best videos lately is Jeff talking over an E3 video and talking about how the industry has changed.

Also, GB is best when the right personalities are together, playing great games. It's just we don't get the latter most of the time so people forget that.

It's why Hitman is the best series in years.

tesqui

• Try to speedrun games.

GB isn't about having fun! They would never do any of that

Jokes aside I could see GBeast doing a few of those ideas.

pizzacat

Banned
Forcing new series to people who wouldn't do them anyway is weird?

It's like, we're all here and visit the site because of the personalities around them

Why would you want to change them? 🤔

kingocfs

what was the last GB West feature that was actually interesting because of the game on the screen? i think we have hitman but otherwise, I'm just there to hear the people talk. like I don't even look at dead rising being played, i'm just there for the drew/brad/rorie chemistry

Yeah.

I can go anywhere these days to watch people play games...I go there because I enjoy their conversations, which is what UPF is all about.

TraBuch

Banned
Let's be honest here, Jeff is Vince McMahon. He doesn't care if you don't like the content as long as you keep paying. If you don't want Jeff to push Roman Reigns, instead of booing, be dead silent.

One of their best videos lately is Jeff talking over an E3 video and talking about how the industry has changed.

Also, GB is best when the right personalities are together, playing great games. It's just we don't get the latter most of the time so people forget that.

It's why Hitman is the best series in years.

You never watched when Wikipedia went down and they took calls from people and replaced Wikipedia for them for a few hours.

oti

Banned
Yeah.

I can go anywhere these days to watch people play games...I go there because I enjoy their conversations, which is what UPF is all about.

Oh come on. Don't tell me you didn't like Hitsmas. Why can't they do more stuff like that on a regular basis? It's not like we don't get to hear Jeff talking about stuff other than video games throughout the week. Random QL turn into full podcasts even from time to time.

pizzacat

Banned
New content, everyone is forced to play pokemon gold until they catches every pokemon without trading

Haha that's content for like ever xD

New content, it's called "WoW, that's a Lotta raids" where rory plays through every wow raid for all eternity

New content, "Captain Patches Professional Adventures", brad plays through games that have had ps4 pro updates to completion with a pirate motif the whole time

PizzaFace

Banned
You guys can watch lame let's plays if you want

GB is at its best when no video games are involved

F
A
C
T
S

Go watch This is the Run from yesterday.

Then listen to this weeks Bombcast

Get back to me

I love GB, I really do, but West has gotten very stale over the last couple of years. Nearly everything memorable came as a result of Dan, with him gone I fear for them. Look no further than their "solution" to UPF....

West needs new blood soon, with energy and fresh ideas.

kingocfs

Oh come on. Don't tell me you didn't like Hitsmas. Why can't they do more stuff like that on a regular basis? It's not like we don't get to hear Jeff talking about stuff other than video games throughout the week. Random QL turn into full podcasts even from time to time.

I'm all for them doing whatever they want. If that means more stuff like Hitsmas, then great, because yeah I loved that.

But UPF should be its own thing. The best UPF moments have nothing to do with the games being played.

Brashnir

New content, everyone is forced to play pokemon gold until they catches every pokemon without trading

Haha that's content for like ever xD

New content, it's called "WoW, that's a Lotta raids" where rory plays through every wow raid for all eternity

vR2l4cE.jpg

Go watch This is the Run from yesterday.

Then listen to this weeks Bombcast

Get back to me

I love GB, I really do, but West has gotten very stale over the last couple of years. Nearly everything memorable came as a result of Dan, with him gone I fear for them. Look no further than their "solution" to UPF....

West needs new blood soon, with energy and fresh ideas.

Or Hitmas.

When the guys are invested in the game, doing something cool, that's when the site is at the best. We don't need everything to be used as a podcast - that's a sign of a bad video.

A lot of Stockholm Syndrome like posts in this thread it seems to me.

Endurance Run for every Final Fantasy game.
When they are finished, they can do Dragon Quest ones.
Originals AND remakes.
And then they can compare/contrast them.

What do you think of my idea guiyz?

jaina

Remember the great VR launch streams West did. Video games
Hopefully they'll do a Switch launch stream. Don't say there aren't enough games.

Aaron

Not gonna lie, Beast single handedly makes my premium sub worth it. Anything with them is a joy to watch. They're so good. I don't even listen to the bombcast anymore. I've replaced the bombcast with beastcast/waypoint. I liked Austin too much to stop following him.
I've done the exact same. GB West just ain't doing it for me lately, but GBE is beasting so hard I don't even care.

TraBuch

Banned
I've got some pretty good ideas.

1 - A series where they play games with really good create a player tools. They could make monstrosities and then go online with them and fool around.

2 - Fool around with BeamNG. The crash physics are fantastic and there's a lot of custom content they could fuck around with. Garry's Mod for cars.

3 - Somebody could try the Nuzlocke Challenge in a Pokémon game.

4 - Fuck around with Skyrim mods. There's lots of crazy shit out there.

5 - Some sort of DnD podcast. Or they could livestream it in the podcast room.

6 - They could review amiibos.

I dunno, just a few things off the top of my head.

1 - A series where they play games with really good create a player tools. They could make monstrosities and then go online with them and fool around.

2 - Fool around with BeamNG. The crash physics are fantastic and there's a lot of custom content they could fuck around with. Garry's Mod for cars.

Skyrim is Jeff's favorite game.

pizzacat

Banned

Are you doing the thing where you say bad ideas on purpose like me or on accident like the other guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom