• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

Went to my brothers after work the to play re7 and ended up playing for like 4 hours. I'm a weenie when it comes to horror stuff but that game is amazing. The part I got to is a little to action heavy and hoping it goes more back to the horror stuff later. But I would put it right up there with re4.

Mr. F

Banned
Played the Ghost Recon beta with a few friends and man if that isn't some Ubisoft game design at its most distilled yet.

I can see Vinny having a good time fucking around with it, and I don't think Jeff will dig it at all (it's downright boring playing alone).

Xater

Played the Ghost Recon beta with a few friends and man if that isn't some Ubisoft game design at its most distilled yet.

I can see Vinny having a good time fucking around with it, and I don't think Jeff will dig it at all (it's downright boring playing alone).

"What if we took Far Cry, removed a bunch of mechanics/systems and made it third person?"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It's an ubisoft game, so you didn't need to type the last 2 words.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm somewhat exited for Solo Queue. On paper it sounds like the most boring thing ever. In reality though it is actually ________

I'm shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked

Went to my brothers after work the to play re7 and ended up playing for like 4 hours. I'm a weenie when it comes to horror stuff but that game is amazing. The part I got to is a little to action heavy and hoping it goes more back to the horror stuff later. But I would put it right up there with re4.

It won't, the second half of the game is pretty much what I would say more akin to a classic RE game. It's creepy but you have an arsenal to deal with all the creepiness. However, I still do wish that this game was a new IP because having RE on the box just creates expectations and comparisons.

I'm currently going through madhouse difficulty and it is no joke. They change up a few things that make the playthrough very interesting.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Guys.

I can't stop watching the world cyber games footage.

It's so fucking cyber.

And so fucking "we bought this license of sony vegas pro and a whole bunch of stock footage, let's go nuts."

MAN

sfwetepfv.gif

Curufinwe

It won't, the second half of the game is pretty much what I would say more akin to a classic RE game. It's creepy but you have an arsenal to deal with all the creepiness. However, I still do wish that this game was a new IP because having RE on the box just creates expectations and comparisons.

I'm currently going through madhouse difficulty and it is no joke. They change up a few things that make the playthrough very interesting.

It's far too similar to old RE games to have benefited in any way from being a new IP. A creepy mansion to explore with doors you unlock with weird keys, magical item boxes, healing herbs, limited ammo, etc. It's supposed to be compared and constructed to REmake in particular.

Is it similar to how RE Director's Cut mixed things up?

It's kind of sad how we've reached the point where this is a bullet-point feature for indie games:

No procedural generation. No backtracking. No metroidvania gimmicks or item collection. Every level is a unique and lovingly designed challenge to overcome.

jaina

It's kind of sad how we've reached the point where this is a bullet-point feature for indie games:
No procedural generation. No backtracking. No metroidvania gimmicks or item collection. Every level is a unique and lovingly designed challenge to overcome.

oh wow.
and the "no procedural" and "unique levels" IS improving my interest in the game.
will probably come down to how much I like the controls.

It's far too similar to old RE games to have benefited in any way from being a new IP. A creepy mansion to explore with doors you unlock with weird keys, magical item boxes, healing herbs, limited ammo, etc. It's supposed to be compared and constructed to REmake in particular.

The connections made to RE are fucking weak though. Like the entire time I've been playing I was like "Why is this RE? How is this connected?" and then in the last like 5 seconds of the game(major spoilers)
HELLO, I'M REDFIELD.
Man, fuck off with that shit.

This is definitely closer to the original games but not quite. It's a much more subdued and grounded experience save for the crazy opening. Cheese is also nowhere to be found but the biggest thing I miss is the score which is one of the best things in a RE game. Like, you give me a track from any of the first 3 games, Remake + Code Veronica and I'll be able to name you the location of the game where that track plays.

Is it similar to how RE Director's Cut mixed things up?

Pretty much. Different enemy + item placements, less items in general, you need cassettes to save, enemies don't die as quick as you do and it changed two things when it came to a certain boss. I'm halfway through now but I'll probably beat it today. I recommend playing through that mode after speedrunning the game so you could get the
circular saw
and
x-ray glasses
, they help out a bunch.

oh wow.
and the "no procedural" and "unique levels" IS improving my interest in the game.
will probably come down to how much I like the controls.

It's super shitty how it seems like a lot of developers have become straight up afraid of making well-crafted, linear worlds. Not everything needs to be procedural or open world or both.

Nobody was asking for an open-world Mirror's Edge.

The connections made to RE are fucking weak though. Like the entire time I've been playing I was like "Why is this RE? How is this connected?" and then in the last like 5 seconds of the game(major spoilers)
HELLO, I'M REDFIELD.
Man, fuck off with that shit.

This is definitely closer to the original games but not quite. It's a much more subdued and grounded experience save for the crazy opening. Cheese is also nowhere to be found but the biggest thing I miss is the score which is one of the best things in a RE game. Like, you give me a track from any of the first 3 games, Remake + Code Veronica and I'll be able to name you the location of the game where that track plays.

Dude, you're crazy. That is a Resident Evil-ass Resident Evil game. Once I made it to the basement it hit me that it's basically what Doom 2016 was to the original game.

Also, the entire Baker family is cheese incarnate. Marguerite screams "FUCKING SHITCOCK" at you, and Lucas is the fucking lamest. They may as well have been taken directly from a shitty Rob Zombie movie.

Dude, you're crazy. That is a Resident Evil-ass Resident Evil game. Once I made it to the basement it hit me that it's basically what Doom 2016 was to the original game.

Also, the entire Baker family is cheese incarnate. Marguerite screams "FUCKING SHITCOCK" at you, and Lucas is the fucking lamest. They may as well have been taken directly from a shitty Rob Zombie movie.

I mean yeah but all REs are filled with such wholesome moments. As I said this is closer to the classic REs but I think it would have been a much stronger game if it stood up on its own without having RE slapped on the cover, like they could have pushed this insanity you experience in the game to its limits and did some crazy shit without being confined to what an RE game should or shouldn't be at this point, like for instance how this game starts which is batshit crazy. Everyone who plays this game questions how this game is connected to the RE universe and all you get is a 5 second BS at the end. I also felt the puzzles were very weak, almost non-existent.

For me though, I miss the score the most but at the same time I know what they're going for by having it real subdued. In any case though, RE7 is a great game. Nothing changes that fact, I'm having tons of fun with it. Jack is my favorite character in the game and Marguerite(spoilers)
2nd phase is my favorite boss fight.

I know that I was one to point out content droughts in the past... But I'd also like to recognize the GB guys when they're doing a good job. I feel like the past month has been a pretty good time to be a fan of VideoGames.com

oti

Banned
I know that I was one to point out content droughts in the past... But I'd also like to recognize the GB guys when they're doing a good job. I feel like the past month has been a pretty good time to be a fan of VideoGames.com

I have a tough time keeping up with all the #content and although West is a bit of lackluster with the podcast and UPF, East makes up for it easily.

Wunder

It's been a pretty good start to the year, and with the Yakuza playthrough covering up the Monday hole in content things are looking good for the next couple months. I hope it doesn't deter Jeff or anyone else from the occasional home livestream though, since those are nice added bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom