• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
Bless Alex. The second half of the game really shines in many ways but here's the thing, if you have no patience for this game then I think it'll really sour your experience.

Are blind jumps actually rare in TLG? I keep going back and forth on whether to get it or not, but there were a couple of times in the QL where Alex had to just jump and hope Trico grabbed him with no indication that was the right thing to do. He said it was really rare, but seeing it multiple times in a short quick look makes me pretty hesitant. I hate stuff like that.

Are blind jumps actually rare in TLG? I keep going back and forth on whether to get it or not, but there were a couple of times in the QL where Alex had to just jump and hope Trico grabbed him with no indication that was the right thing to do. He said it was really rare, but seeing it multiple times in a short quick look makes me pretty hesitant. I hate stuff like that.

Yes, they are rare because most of the game is navigating the fascinating old, decayed ruins. It's kind of hard to explain but midway through the game I just understood Trico from his expressions and movements when it comes to what he's going to do or what I should be doing next.

The environments also grow on you so it gets easier to navigate and find the right path the more you play, atleast that's how I felt.

Reading the Eurogamer review tells me Glittermitten Grove has too much if this ZZT shit. Seems to kill the fun frantic pacing of encountering weird new stuff that Frog Fractions had.

They probably felt an obligation to stretch their $20 game (or their modest budget) out a bit.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to know what the developer thinks about the reception of Glittermitten Grove/Frog Fractions 2. The Kickstarter is 2.5 years old, a lot of articles were written and the ARG was obviously very elaborate. Yet it's sitting at 6,000 copies sold according to SteamSpy.
Basically nobody cares.

Dineren

Banned
I feel like I'm the only person on GAF who loved ZZT. It's almost enough to make me spend the $20 despite not caring about Frog Fractions at all.

Yes, they are rare because most of the game is navigating the fascinating old, decayed ruins. It's kind of hard to explain but midway through the game I just understood Trico from his expressions and movements when it comes to what he's going to do or what I should be doing next.

The environments also grow on you so it gets easier to navigate and find the right path the more you play, atleast that's how I felt.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot then. I'm not much of a Team Ico fan, but I really liked what I saw in the QL aside from those jumps.

FStop7

Banned
I really want to know what the developer thinks about the reception of Glittermitten Grove/Frog Fractions 2. The Kickstarter is 2.5 years old, a lot of articles were written and the ARG was obviously very elaborate. Yet it's sitting at 6,000 copies sold according to SteamSpy.
Basically nobody cares.

The world moved on.

Phediuk

It's weird listening to the 4/29/2008 Bombcast. Both Jeff and Ryan have nothing but effusive praise for GTA4, and are even blown away at the profundity of the writing and story.

That game's honeymoon period didn't last long.

Xater

They probably felt an obligation to stretch their $20 game (or their modest budget) out a bit.

I don't think that was a great decision though. At least that's not what it looks like.

Basically nobody cares.

Considering it was funded through Kickstarter everything sold after the release is a bonus. So it's probably fine for the devs. Adult Swim might not be as happy with it though.

Basically nobody cares.

It's probably 5000 more copies than it would have sold on its own.

The controller mods are extremely seamless for ME2 and 3, at least. Easy to install and acts basically like native support.

Or use a Steam controller which is the best way to play them.

Vinny: I'm literally talking about like, did you wipe ok?
Dan: Ohhhhh, to check their butt
Vinny: Yeah..
Dan: Well, tell them to wipe till there's not any shit on the paper
Alex: They don't always listen, Dan
Dan: They're ok with havin-
Alex: You know how sometimes when you tell Trico you want to go up on a thing and Trico doesn't do the thing you want? So, kids are like that x1000
Dan: I understand children now
Vinny: Why does a kid care?
Dan: But I mean, kids, it's not like poop smells awesome when you're a kid and it turns into shit smell when you're an adult! Poop smells bad whether you're 2 or 200
Vinny: Actually that's not true...
Dan: You think kids like the smell of poop?
Vinny: Baby poop smells sweet

crl1Brk.gif

Dineren

Banned
Mass Effect 3 not having controller support builtin was insane. Making sure you have an interface that works well with a mouse and keyboard is great, but when ME3 released it wasn't exactly rare to be playing the majority of your PC games with a controller.

Mupod

the quick look is pretty much the E3 demo and Alex is correct. It's a very scripted kinda setpiece moment, it's mostly only used in that section. It does seem like Trico grabbing you midair becomes a game mechanic after that, and he's actually saved me from an unintentional fall (and also failed horribly) once or twice. But I can't think of more than 1-2 times in the game where it's actually required.

edit: for further clarification, it seems like whenever you're falling in a state where you will be dead either from fall damage or a bottomless pit, it triggers slowmo when you're close to Trico. He'll then try to grab you if he can, but more often than not this happens when I'm trying to land on his back (which prevents fall damage because he is soft and cuddly)

I would imagine that Steam's PS4 support might work for them now too (not 3 obviously).

And just yesterday they added the same Steam integration for 360 and Xbone controllers! And actually yes it would work for 3, just gotta add it as a non-Steam game.

Having the button prompts via the mod is probably preferable though.

neshcom

Banned
The parts of Frog Fractions 2 that aren't filler are really great (and there's plenty of that even in TXT World), but there's a loooot of filler and just hunting for symbols.

Vinny: I'm literally talking about like, did you wipe ok?
Dan: Ohhhhh, to check their butt
Vinny: Yeah..
Dan: Well, tell them to wipe till there's not any shit on the paper
Alex: They don't always listen, Dan
Dan: They're ok with havin-
Alex: You know how sometimes when you tell Trico you want to go up on a thing and Trico doesn't do the thing you want? So, kids are like that x1000
Dan: I understand children now
Vinny: Why does a kid care?
Dan: But I mean, kids, it's not like poop smells awesome when you're a kid and it turns into shit smell when you're an adult! Poop smells bad weather you're 2 or 200
Vinny: Actually that's not true...
Dan: You think kids like the smell of poop?
Vinny: Baby poop smells sweet

crl1Brk.gif

He's not that wrong. Once your kid goes from milk/formula to solid food is when it gets really bad. You start wishing for a infant diaper again.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot then. I'm not much of a Team Ico fan, but I really liked what I saw in the QL aside from those jumps.

I don't think you'll like this one a bunch then because it's issues are framerate, controls and camera. Something that's present in all their games however to me, I wasn't bothered by the controls or camera. The framerate(at times) is the only thing that bothered me but what the game does overshadows whatever issues it has in my eyes. It doesn't mean I won't talk about the issues though.

BiggNife

Basically nobody cares.
The mystery of what FF2 was and the ARG leading up to it were always going to garner more attention than the game itself. Plus the game is intentionally obtuse and confusing, which limits appeal. I backed FF2 because I love the idea of subverting expectations, but also I don't think FF2 is all that fun. The fact that I had no idea what ZZT was before the bombcast brought it up probably adds to that.

Also it probably didn't help that it was released on December 26 in the middle of a steam sale, so it got zero front page promotion.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, why would you release it during a Steam sale on christmas? Sounds like a mistake, unless they actually wanted to bury it.

Dineren

Banned
I don't think you'll like this one a bunch then because it's issues are framerate, controls and camera. Something that's present in all their games however to me, I wasn't bothered by the controls or camera. The framerate(at times) is the only thing that bothered me but what the game does overshadows whatever issues it has in my eyes. It doesn't mean I won't talk about the issues though.

I probably should have said that I just haven't really played any of their games. I downloaded Ico and Shadow when they were free on Plus, but had other games I was playing and didn't ever get back to them.

Technical issues don't usually bother me that much (as long as my saves aren't being deleted) so I'm not too worried about that.

From talking to friends, the amount of poop involved in raising a kid is really underplayed going into it.

Your gonna get messy and its going to go on for a few years longer then you expected.

Also I regret not getting Hitman S1 on the steam sale now. These console load times are a bit much and I got this hot new PC and 2 SSD's and playing all of Hitman again from scratch doesnt sound like the worst experience in the world

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
From talking to friends, the amount of poop involved in raising a kid is really underplayed going into it.

Your gonna get messy and its going to go on for a few years longer then you expected.
Same for people working at the zoo. Not as fun as it sounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom