• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this just reminds me that Giant Bomb most likely wont be around forever, but I've been watching them non-stop since 2009.

They've been a constant in my life for such a huge percentage of my time alive.

Makes me depressed thinking about this.

Hopefully the new hires are just what Giant Bomb needs.

Tubobutts

No?

He grew up on the Genesis.

Worked in videogame development

Worked at a videogame website for 9 years.

Plays hardcore flight sims at home.

What about that screams "I dont have a deep interest in videogames"?
He has interests other than gaming so obviously he's not a "true gamer"

Plasma

Banned
How many people are they looking to hire anyway, even when Dan was in the West office it seemed like they were short on people.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No?

He grew up on the Genesis.

Worked in videogame development

Worked at a videogame website for 9 years.

Plays hardcore flight sims at home.

What about that screams "I dont have a deep interest in videogames"?
He never played much in his spare time outside of a few simulators.

jon_i634

Banned
Drew has always been my favorite duder; it really, really sucks to see him go, but I hope he has success in whatever the hell he does next!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If there is as much of a gap between them "replacing" Austin as there is with Drew, they'll have a new video editor by *checks watch* the next presidential election. possibly.

Are they really looking for another video editor? I mean, right now they had 2 video editors for 4 people.

Giganteus

The Bombcast is gonna get rough for a little while, unless you're one of those people who like it being the Brad and Jeff echochamber for multiple hours. If that's you, you're in for a treat.

Zaph

Giant Bomb #27 | search white guy leaving

OKRPCRX.gif

Been a long road...

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Austin and Drew both provided a much more intelligent take on things.

As much as I love the humor of Beast, it's a bit empty, other than Alex sometimes rarely bringing something, like the mental health story on the last podcast.

Really sucks that Drew is leaving, best of luck with whatever is next! Definitely curious to see what he will be doing, he will be missed at GB for sure.

Definitely not good news for West, I hope that they get some new hires in pretty quickly. I am hopeful that new hires will invigorate them though.

TheXbox

Drew is super talented and probably the most multiskilled member of their crew. Video editor, podcast producer, burgeoning pilot, gamer, athlete, occasional-writer, hair extraordinaire - he could do anything, anywhere. It's pretty amazing they kept around as long as they did. Nine years is no joke.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If there is as much of a gap between them "replacing" Austin as there is with Drew, they'll have a new video editor by *checks watch* the next presidential election. possibly.

Depends on how many they will be hiring during this recruitment run. Are we sure that Drew's replacement will be a video editor or another personality/editor?

Goddamn auto correct doesn't want to be my friend today.

Google

He never played much in his spare time outside of a few simulators.

Yuh-huh? You mean, he'd go to work for 8-10 hours, go home and only play hardcore flight sims for a few hours a week?

Weird. It's almost like he was a real person.

Are they really looking for another video editor? I mean, right now they had 2 video editors for 4 people.

I mean, if you're saying they were not putting out nearly enough content of late to justify having 2 video editors out West, I'm not going to disagree with you. But my understanding is that Drew did a lot more than that, and I think Jeff's line has been (although this is also questionable) that they'd start doing more when they got another editor in.

Honestly, I wonder if West will ever be in fighting shape again. This take's maybe a bit too hot right now but I've been feeling for a while that they're certainly never going to reach the heights of the halcyon days, or even the pre-east/west split, again.

Depends on how many they will be hiring during this recruitment run. Are we sure that Drew's replacement will be a video editor or another personality/editor?

Goddamn auto correct doesn't want to be my friend today.

They hire a personality/editor and they're left with only one video guy.

They hire a video guy and he'll probably be a fifth as entertaining on camera as Drew.

Drew noooo ;_;

Never the loudest or most boisterous of the guys, but I'm really going to miss the plane stories, the quiet, overlooked wit, the obvious talent and passion for the job he brought to the table... man.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yuh-huh? You mean, he'd go to work for 8-10 hours, go home and only play hardcore flight sims for a few hours a week?

Weird. It's almost like he was a real person.
Why so defensive? That's basically what I'm saying.
He kept a list of games he had to check out to have enough for GotY. He would never play that much on his own.

I mean, if you're saying they were not putting out nearly enough content of late to justify having 2 video editors out West, I'm not going to disagree with you. But my understanding is that Drew did a lot more than that, and I think Jeff's line has been (although this is also questionable) that they'd start doing more when they got another editor in.

Honestly, I wonder if West will ever be in fighting shape again. This take's maybe a bit too hot right now but I've been feeling for a while that they're certainly never going to reach the heights of the halcyon days, or even the pre-east/west split, again.

best case scenario getting new fresh people in there can be the shot in the arm west desperately needs.

this just puts a TON of pressure on the new West hires

Wunder

The goal was to hire another personality for west and a video editor for east, starting with a person for the west. With Drews departure they'll most likely look for another producer for West but that'll be a long time down the road.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

They hire a video guy and he'll probably be a fifth as entertaining on camera as Drew.

I would be shocked if they don't hire at least two people tbh. I feel like they were talking about hiring more folks even before Austin left.

Catvoca

Banned
One of the saddest parts about him leaving is I'm not sure he'll end up anywhere else that we can hear his thoughts regularly. When an editor like Austin or Patrick leaves you know you'll have content from wherever they go next to watch or listen to, but drew might end up behind the camera where we rarely get to hear from him anymore.

The Bombcast is gonna get rough for a little while, unless you're one of those people who like it being the Brad and Jeff echochamber for multiple hours. If that's you, you're in for a treat.

Rorie casts all day 😎

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

True, though east seems to make do with Vinny. Then again Vinny did mention that being the singular video guy kinda sucks.

TraBuch

Banned
GB West is gonna be in baaaad shape for a while. This is gonna be rough. Nothing but Jeff, Brad and Jason content with Rorie thrown in every now and then. For months. Multiple.

Ugh.

Hasney

I would be shocked if they don't hire two people tbh. I feel like they were talking about hiring more folks even before Austin left.

Jeff said they'll be getting at least one in the West and one out East and at the end of the podcast, said they'll be advertising for Drews position as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom