• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

This is a great idea, but I wonder why GB couldn't finagle the funding from CBS for Drew to do this, or do you think Drew just didn't want the GiantBomb baggage attached to this project?

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping Drew would do if he left Giant Bomb, so that's cool. I just wish he could have continued to do so as part of GB.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping Drew would do if he left Giant Bomb, so that's cool. I just wish he could have continued to do so as part of GB.
Man, Jeff talking about a travel budget in the past makes a lot more sense now. Drew was probably trying to get something going.

It's like Robert Ashley's A Life Well Wasted, just without the cool Olly Moss posters.

raw

I don't have a problem with it being Patreon, but I'm surprised Drew did it. Didn't strike me as the type.

Wish him all the best. Hopefully it's as good as the potential sounds.

This is a great idea, but I wonder why GB couldn't finagle the funding from CBS for Drew to do this, or do you think Drew just didn't want the GiantBomb baggage attached to this project?

Probably the freedom of it. Cbs would probably have a shitload of red tape. After all they were recently talking about how long it took them to get proper shelves for their boxes. Like months of waiting for fucking shelves.

Now imagine trying to get a budget for travelling.

Megasoum

Banned
That's really cool but I wish he would have switched the 5$ tier with the 10$.

I don't really care about Q&A but I love extra content.

With the exchange rate 10$ US is a lot.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It sucks that he couldn't/didn't want to do it with GB. It would give the site a bunch of content that's not 99% let's plays.

I don't have a problem with it being Patreon, but I'm surprised Drew did it. Didn't strike me as the type.

Wish him all the best. Hopefully it's as good as the potential sounds.

Seems strange at first, but makes sense to me now. He likes to travel and make high quality videos... Unfortunately GB hasn't really been letting him do either of those recently, so he's just doing it on his own. I hope this works out for him!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, real talk though, he needs to hit at least the 8k mark to do what he wants to do. What he wants to do is not cheap. At all. And I'm talking basics.

daveo42

Banned
Finding a company to foot the bill on travel costs and video shoots is kind of tough unless you have a unique hook that also allows for freedom of travel. Notoriety helps with that, like being Anthony Bourdain going to pretty much where ever he wants with CNN footing the bill. Drew might get there at some point, but at this point patreon seemed like the smart move.

Seems strange at first, but makes sense to me now. He likes to travel and make high quality videos... Unfortunately GB hasn't really been letting him do either of those recently, so he's just doing it on his own. I hope this works out for him!

The project isn't strange, it's the method of funding.

I dunno, Drew just doesn't seem like the type of person to ask for money in this fashion?

Seeing Danny's success must have been a big factor.

LiK

I dunno, Drew just doesn't seem like the type of person to ask for money in this fashion?

I wouldn't be surprised if Drew had asked Danny for advice about this. Danny has been on fire and I'm sure Drew wants to do something that allows him to travel more.

Yeah, I really think it was Danny doing this that made him realize the possibility. I really hope this works for him, but what he's doing is probably more expensive than what Danny is doing, but I don't know if he's as well known as Danny. I'm optimistic though.

Valtýr

I'm in at $20. Looking forward to how this will go. But I am worried a little bit that he'll be in over his head. Listening to the launch stream seems like he's unsure about a lot of things.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hmm, real talk though, he needs to hit at least the 8k mark to do what he wants to do. What he wants to do is not cheap. At all. And I'm talking basics.

Well, Danny is currently getting around 22k per month. He seems to pump those docs out fairly quickly. Danny is more of an on-screen personality and probably more well known at this point, though.

Catvoca

Banned
This is awesome, exited to see where it goes. I'm looking forward to seeing what his first few videos look like, and what kind of format they take.

Well Drew and Danny have similar twitter follower numbers
which I know is not the greatest measure of popularity, but it's a start
so even if he can manage half of what Danny gets per month he should probably be able to do what he wants.

I'll join in when I get home. How's he doing so far?

Currently up to 376 patrons for $2778/mo. I think this is a cool idea and I really hope Drew gets the money he needs to make it happen. The Iceland travelogue was really cool, enjoyed watching that a lot. I currently support Danny and like his work a lot, probably gonna support Drew as well.

Top Bottom