• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

bjork

Jeff is going to do a Patreon to talk shit about wrestling for 8 hours on stream everyday while simultaneously clearly wanting to just watch wrestling for 8 hours everyday.

It doesn't take 8 hours to say "fuck wrestling."

I think what he wants is a telenovela with people dressed up like superheroes, saying crazy shit. Maybe he's wanted tokosatsu all along and we all never realized it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Cloth Map is a much more powerful idea to me than what Noclip's doing to be honest.
The difference to me is that Danny has a long history as a video game journalist and host in front of the camera when Drew kind of doesn't. I've been absolutely loving what Danny is doing and I hope Drew can hit that high bar, too.

2017 in games keeps winning.
Wait until Colin becomes gaming's Tomi Lahren...

Mr. F

Banned
I'm stoked for Drew, definitely going to try tossing some money in when I can.

I have to wonder if there's some mixed feeling or envy being at Giantbomb for someone like Jeff who sounds like he's wanted to do something in this vein for a really long time but lacked the support to do so. For all the ambitions he's outlined for the site over the years it feels like it's been a constant tug of war for even the bare minimum.

I'm assuming the sale would have happened regardless of whether or not patreon existed back in 2012 but I gotta wonder sometimes what could have been, especially as the guys get older.

Zaph

So is Drew gonna be traveling with a cameraman?
If not it's gonna be strange production.

Said in his live stream that he'd like to hire someone for his trips, but it depends on funding. He wants to stay on location for quite a while, which is expensive.

It speaks volumes that I paid the $13 for Tokyo Drift so I could stay on course with the Film & 40s schedule.

It's a fine movie. Better than 2 but not as good as the original.

I ended up doing the same thing, don't regret it one bit. Tokyo Drift is actually a lot better than I remember, regardless of how much the commentary elevated my enjoyment of it.

Catvoca

Banned
How long after Cloth Map is a thing will someone post in this thread complaining that we're talking about a non-Giant Bomb thing too much?

robotrock

Banned
So is Drew gonna be traveling with a cameraman?
If not it's gonna be strange production.

He mentioned how filming himself by himself is going to be an interesting challenge that he'd like to tackle initially. But probably eventually depending on funding he can get another person to come with him.

I wonder who the camera man is.

I hope it's Drew

dfgabstt.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Cloth Map is a cool idea, and it's too bad Giantbomb just became so static that they couldn't even get a Japan trip together after years and years of talking about "the raid".

I'm just wondering at what point the whole Patreon thing runs its course, because everyone is on it now.

I'm assuming the sale would have happened regardless of whether or not patreon existed back in 2012 but I gotta wonder sometimes what could have been, especially as the guys get older.
Yeah, I get the feeling that whoever was putting money into the site wanted to cash out. The same thing happened to John Davison, which is ironic since he was the one who announced the purchase of Giantbomb.

Mahonay

Banned
I bet Jeff would clean up on Patreon if he wanted to.
Of course he would.

But for now I don't think he would ever entertain the idea of voluntarily putting the rest of GB out of the job. Jeff always seems really excited to grow the team when he's given the chance.

When GB falls victim to time at some point in the future, as almost all websites do, then yeah, if platforms like Patreon are still viable that would be a great option for him to just do it up solo and go from there.

Fuck time. Long live Giant Bomb. AND NOTHING STOPS THE BOMBCAST.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I mean there are probably already thousands of hours of Jeff&Co out there. Somebody just needs to compile those and create an algorithm and some other techy sounding words. Boom. GiantBomb lives forever. I've seen Black Mirror, I know how this works.

Hasney

Yep. That would create issues.

I feel like they run into NAT issues pretty frequently in that office.

Its been more recently. No doubt the IT department have changed something for security, not told anyone and closed up a bunch of ports again. Happens in most corporate settings.

Nah, it'll be they use a port that's not open. Switch was having the same issues.

Drew's theme seems cool. Wonder if he struck out because this couldn't happen at GB.

They couldn't even get the raid going. Wonder how much CBS is preventing them from doing stuff

Megasoum

Banned
But they are both releasing their videos for free. You don't need to pay to see them.

Oh yeah for sure. And to be clear, I'm happy to pay for both right now.

I'm just saying, it's like people who say they save money by cutting cable but then they have to subscribe to like 10 different streaming services every month to get the content they want.

Mr. F

Banned
I think Cloth Map is a cool idea, and it's too bad Giantbomb just became so static that they couldn't even get a Japan trip together after years and years of talking about "the raid".

I'm just wondering at what point the whole Patreon thing runs its course, because everyone is on it now.

Yeah, I get the feeling that whoever was putting money into the site wanted to cash out. The same thing happened to John Davison, which is ironic since he was the one who announced the purchase of Giantbomb.

Oh right that guy, yeah I remember he had a reputation for hopping from gig to gig. I was going through the old Giant Bomb OT around the time of the purchase and even then people were saying Davison wouldn't be around for more than a couple years if that.

Going by how long it took to get basic amenities up and running like...a studio space for a video focused site, I'm not holding my breath for any of those plans coming together. I'm guessing at some point Drew saw the writing on the wall in that regard too.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah I work for a big video game studio and corporate firewalls/NAT really sucks.

The only real way around it was to setup some "external" connections using standard consumer modems and ISPs that we only use with consoles (you obviously don't want to plug in a corporate PC on a line like that).

Top Bottom