• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I work for a big video game studio and corporate firewalls/NATO really sucks.

The only real way around it was to setup some "external" connections using standard consumer modems and ISPs that we only use with consoles (you obviously don't want to plug in a corporate PC on a line like that).
Are you working on World of Tanks?

Google

Quick one.

This weeks Beastcast is fantastic and really shows how fun and active Jeff G can be when he's good a rambunctious group around him.

I hope they fix their problems out west in terms of personnel soon because I really want more of Gerstmann like he was on Friday.

I might have to check back on kinda funny again. I'll give it a while for the alt right fan base to leave following their video game leader Colin.

This conversation has me thinking I can't wait to see what's next with the new hires. East had hit it's stride. Though I love Brad and Jeff and enjoy everything they've been doing I look forward to the burst of energy the new hires bring. I'm really hoping for the first female duder.

Mr. F

Banned
Quick one.

This weeks Beastcast is fantastic and really shows how fun and active Jeff G can be when he's good a rambunctious group around him.

I hope they fix their problems out west in terms of personnel soon because I really want more of Gerstmann like he was on Friday.

Piggybacking on this, was Jeff G ever on a beastcast with Austin or did that overlap never happen?

Quick one.

Yeah it was a pretty big contrast with the recent Bombcasts, which have not been great. GB East + Jeff is a good team. Shame about where that split left West.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh right that guy, yeah I remember he had a reputation for hopping from gig to gig. I was going through the old Giant Bomb OT around the time of the purchase and even then people were saying Davison wouldn't be around for more than a couple years if that.

Going by how long it took to get basic amenities up and running like...a studio space for a video focused site, I'm not holding my breath for any of those plans coming together. I'm guessing at some point Drew saw the writing on the wall in that regard too.
I think Davison is smart enough to want equity in anything he does - I assume he owns a piece of Glixel - so yeah. lol
But he made a website that he was forced to sell to IGN by investors (and IGN killed the site like a year later), so it was just funny to see him being the face of a similar purchase.

I guess the best they can do is get money for the three PAX shows and the occassional trip to game events. I know Ryan's passing affected their PAX Australia trip, but did they ever go to Australia after that?

Mr. F

Banned
I don't see why you'd risk being 'politely diplomatic' when you're beholden to patrons that probably don't dig Colin at all. Not that I would personally pull funding over that but it's the age of internet grudges after all.

Hasney

I don't see why you'd risk being 'politely diplomatic' when you're beholden to patrons that probably don't dig Colin at all. Not that I would personally pull funding over that but it's the age of internet grudges after all.

It's happened a few times recently, so it wouldn't shock me if he just wanted an out so he can be a dick in public.

PaulCRose

Quick one.

The key is to have him be delrious from lack of sleep and jet lag.

Scizzy

The last three Bombcasts - Zelda talk, the one with the 8-4 guys, and Horizon/Meme discussion, respectively - have all been good to great.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It might be cause I listen to the bombcasts on the go and don't sit down to listen/watch them but I didn't really notice any drops in quality.

I had that same "problem" this week's Beast in the East did where like once I triggered a substory I had to see it through to the end and pushed the main stuff farther away.

Google

Because there hasn't been

Define quality?

If your expectation of GB West podcasts are to be informative gaming talk, then yeah, perhaps the quality is the same.

I got on the train during Arrow Pointing Down and I just want to hear dumb talk about energy drinks, party houses, meeting famous rappers and how much influence terrible car movies have on the gang.

kingocfs

Listening to the last Beastcast for the first time. I like how they actually talk about games within the first 15 minutes for once.

Probably because Papa Jeff was there.

Define quality?

If your expectation of GB West podcasts are to be informative gaming talk, then yeah, perhaps the quality is the same.

I got on the train during Arrow Pointing Down and I just want to hear dumb talk about energy drinks, party houses, meeting famous rappers and how much influence terrible car movies have on the gang.

I don't know what that has to do with anything, I literally have been following the gang since the 90's and I love all that stuff, just because they haven't talked about it lately doesn't mean they are forsaking their heritage. but I'm sorry you have been disappointed in the bombcast as of late, opinions are just that, so you are not any more right or wrong then me. I just have been enjoying it as much as ever.

mad love google, I use you to find unseemly things all the time. Thanks for that bro.

Google

I don't know what that has to do with anything

My point was that I preferred their brand of their talking about a Tiger Woods Gatorade for 35 minutes more than in-depth commentary on videogames.

That was their differentiator and every time they revert away from it I get slightly disappointed that the thing I wanted doesn't happen.

I've been listening to a lot of 2009/2010 Bombcasts recently (for reasons I don't entirely understand) and I think it's hard to deny that the modern Bombcast is a way lower-energy affair compared to that era. The quality of game talk hasn't changed much but the older casts are a lot quippier and everyone plays off each other's jokes a lot more. It also benefits from the fact that every week there's usually a game that most of the crew has played, so there's a lot more back and forth conversation instead of Jeff monologuing about the week's big release and Jason putting in his 5 minutes about the anime game he's been playing.

Aselith

I've been listening to a lot of 2009/2010 Bombcasts recently (for reasons I don't entirely understand) and I think it's hard to deny that the modern Bombcast is a way lower-energy affair compared to that era. The quality of game talk hasn't changed much but the older casts are a lot quippier and everyone plays off each other's jokes a lot more. It also benefits from the fact that every week there's usually a game that most of the crew has played, so there's a lot more back and forth conversation instead of Jeff monologuing about the week's big release and Jason putting in his 5 minutes about the anime game he's been playing.

I think it's just due to lineup changes. Like Brad and Jeff are pretty low energy dudes and really only pep up when they have someone to play off of like a Vinny or Dan. They just need some more energy in the room.

Zaph

sYpSlvq.png

why isn't drew in north korea yet?

PaulCRose

Mate, it's a 5 and half hour flight with a 3 hour time difference.

The key is to have him be around people that excite him.

He talked about how exhausted he was during the PAX East panel. Worked all day. Stayed in the office until it was time for his red eye and then straight to the east office to work.

Top Bottom