• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

danm999

Bioware's last three games range from mediocre to awful, so I'm surprised that everyone's all nonplussed over how shitty Andromeda looks.

Yeah but people were expecting like, Inquisiton collectathon content gluts, not Gary's Mod style animations.

They're sort of disappointing on fronts Bioware games haven't struggled with much in the past.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Really though, pathfinder sounds like some good ol' space magic.

Shouldn't computers of the future be better at finding out if a planet in inhabitable?

They used magic space telescopes (I think the actual explanation is reverse-engineering geth technology out in the Perseus Veil) to look at the worlds, and I think maybe they sent drones as well?

600 years ago, when the ships launched, the worlds were good. Now.....a lot can happen in 600 years.

Strimei

Really though, pathfinder sounds like some good ol' space magic.

Shouldn't computers of the future be better at finding out if a planet in inhabitable?

At the least they should be able to give us an idea.

But there was a line on the planet portion fo the stream which, to me, kind of implied that the colonists are just really dumb without the Pathfinder (which reminds me, aren't there like, several pathfinders? One per ship?). Something about how the stuff they built wouldn't last for very long, but that's because they didn't have a Pathfinder.

Like, christ, its almost as though they can't wipe themselves without a pathfinder at this point.

danm999

Isn't the point they found a finite number of "golden worlds" and that they know where they are etc? So why are the pathfinders necessary if they're not going in blind? Can't computers and whatever figure out if a planet is habitable?

Wouldn't it make more sense for pathfinders to be explorers looking for the golden worlds?

Getting to Andromeda in 600 years is insanely fast. Like 4000 times the speed of light fast. Also observing Andromeda from the Milky Way, your seeing worlds from 2.5 million years ago.

Something something mass effect field lenses, something something element zero.

I can buy that. I'm cool with physics bending tech. To be honest I don't think mankind will leave the solar system and in fact, I think Mars is as far as a human will go because there is nothing else worth landing on that is a distance that we can practically reach, so sci fi has to break the rules to be interesting. And I don't see generation ships ever being something humans could agree upon.

Teddified

giphy.gif

Strimei

I can buy that. I'm cool with physics bending tech. To be honest I don't think mankind will leave the solar system and in fact, I think Mars is as far as a human will go because there is nothing else worth landing on that is a distance that we can practically reach, so sci fi has to break the rules to be interesting. And I don't see generation ships ever being something humans could agree upon.

While I was being a bit silly, I don't entirely mind it either, so long as it adheres to its own rules, and this is a case where it also makes me scratch my head a bit. The thing they used, from what I read, is some array the Geth jury-rigged from three mass relays, but I thought the mass relays could only ever connect to one another. Seems odd that the geth could somehow manage to do it, though I guess if any race in the current galaxy could fiddle with reaper tech successfully, it'd be the geth.

Still, the info about the whole initiative is too shady to me and story-wise I expect some twists, including Cerberus, to rear its head (especially since one of your teammates shares the same last name as the Illusive Man).

Top Bottom