• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

robotrock

Banned
Gamespot just came out in favor of BOTW in the Horizon v. BOTW debate on a livestream.

cbKq7zD.png

Shots... fired. 💥

Hindl

They could always tack on another star if they feel that strongly about it, and it doesn't need to beat Skyward Sword :p

Its Gamespot tho

I was more just commenting that general consensus is dumb. I haven't played Horizon yet, and I am one of those weirdos that liked SS, but I'm willing to bet Horizon will be a better game than SS (and by extension, BotW will also be better than SS)

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I was more just commenting that general consensus is dumb. I haven't played Horizon yet, and I am one of those weirdos that liked SS, but I'm willing to bet Horizon will be a better game than SS (and by extension, BotW will also be better than SS)

You're not alone, SS was pretty good and even far from the worst in the Zelda series.

My favourite Zelda game is majora's mask, I'm still confused about why Jeff hates it

Hindl

You're not alone, SS was pretty good and even far from the worst in the Zelda series.

My favourite Zelda game is majora's mask, I'm still confused about why Jeff hates it

Yeah, and I totally get why people didn't like SS. It takes roughly 5 hours to get to the first dungeon, and that slog through the tutorial is rough. I like motion controls but I get why others didn't Fi and other characters constantly tutorializing everything. The almost painful linearity and direction the game has. The revisiting of familiar areas, even when it changes. I do think parts of that game drag. But it has some of the best dungeons in the series for me, fantastic music, and a pretty good story with some touching moments at the end. And despite others' hatred for motion controls, I think that led to some pretty unique puzzles too. SS is probably just outside my Top 5 Zelda games, and it's certainly different, but it's a good game

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yeah, and I totally get why people didn't like SS. It takes roughly 5 hours to get to the first dungeon, and that slog through the tutorial is rough. I like motion controls but I get why others didn't Fi and other characters constantly tutorializing everything. The almost painful linearity and direction the game has. The revisiting of familiar areas, even when it changes. I do think parts of that game drag. But it has some of the best dungeons in the series for me, fantastic music, and a pretty good story with some touching moments at the end. And despite others' hatred for motion controls, I think that led to some pretty unique puzzles too. SS is probably just outside my Top 5 Zelda games, and it's certainly different, but it's a good game

Agree with everything here. I've tried to re-play the game about 4 times but I've always lost interest after having to go through those 5 first hours to get to the more interesting parts which* really has soured my opinion of the game since release (After my first playthrough I remember thinking the game was definetly top 3).

Hindl

Agree with everything here. I've tried to re-play the game about 4 times but I've always lost interest after having to go through those 5 first hours to get to the more interesting parts really has soured my opinion of the game since release (After my first playthrough I remember thinking the game was definetly top 3).

Yeah this was me exactly. Finished the game thinking it was one of my favorites, but every time I tried to go back I could barely make it through the first couple hours to the first dungeon. Still think it's good though, especially the Sand Sea section

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yeah this was me exactly. Finished the game thinking it was one of my favorites, but every time I tried to go back I could barely make it through the first couple hours to the first dungeon. Still think it's good though, especially the Sand Sea section

Yeah the sandsea with the time switching mechanics were really good, that is for sure the most memorable part of the game.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
They should make a series where Dan play through all the Zelda games in the order of release, it would take 15 years but what a feature!

Never gonna happen, I know

I was surprised just how well that commentary synced up with the movie. Usually a US commentary track goes out of sync with a UK movie. Is that not a thing anymore thanks to blu rays? I know rifftrax used to supply different versions of their tracks.

Meneses

Man, the more I hear about Horizon, the more I realize i'll probably not like it very much. But I still kinda want to get it?

Well, I do have this Nioh to trade-in, so I can at least get something out of that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, the more I hear about Horizon, the more I realize i'll probably not like it very much. But I still kinda want to get it?

Well, I do have this Nioh to trade-in, so I can at least get something out of that.

It kind of reminds me of the buzz around Just Cause 2 when that came out. A lot of people really liked it because of the bare gameplay itself. But that's never been enough for me in a single player game. Especially one that's supposed ot be very large and sprawling.

Like the gameplay loop doesn't matter that much to me. It doesn't look like much in the way of setpieces or anything and more just 'here you go, figure stuff out'. Like I think the entire IGN review was just combat clips

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
What does Brad even do?
They should make a series where Dan play through all the Zelda games in the order of release, it would take 15 years but what a feature!

Never gonna happen, I know
As much as I like Ryckert for creating new series, this is just no.

Wunder

Same. I don't think I'm a big fan of Far Cry style games so another one of those in that style probably won't appeal to me, but I'm still strangely drawn to it.

It kind of reminds me of the buzz around Just Cause 2 when that came out. A lot of people really liked it because of the bare gameplay itself. But that's never been enough for me in a single player game. Especially one that's supposed ot be very large and sprawling.

Like the gameplay loop doesn't matter that much to me. It doesn't look like much in the way of setpieces or anything and more just 'here you go, figure stuff out'. Like I think the entire IGN review was just combat clips

Jeff spent most of his time gushing about story, characters, side quests etc. It's not just gameplay.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff spent most of his time gushing about story, characters, side quests etc. It's not just gameplay.

I listened to the podcast and he gushed about the side quests. I don't remember him speaking that positively about the characters. I remember him saying the story surprised him but that was about it.

I listened to the podcast and he gushed about the side quests. I don't remember him speaking that positively about the characters. I remember him saying the story surprised him but that was about it.

I do remember he said that the voice acting was incredible and so were the characters. He did criticize that the character animations were janky at times.

Giganteus

Jeff's review (among other things) gave me the strong impression that the game's story is an important aspect, and it's not just a thing they threw in there, like a Just Cause, although maybe it's a bad story, who knows. Your comparison is a little off to me.

Xeteh

I liked Skyward Sword overall but it had a lot that made it less enjoyable. Taking forever to get started, the repetitive pop ups from looting items after a reload, repeated boss fights, motion controls. The game itself was a lot of fun but I would probably never play it again.

Reviewers are useless for the Zelda franchise. The last 2 games in the franchise where mid 80's affairs at best.

Skyward Sword has a 93 on metacritic for crying out loud.

Zelda is one of those franchises you gotta wait a few months for the real consensus to come out.

Reviewers are useless for the Zelda franchise. The last 2 games in the franchise where mid 80's affairs at best.

Skyward Sword has a 93 on metacritic for crying out loud.

Zelda is one of those franchises you gotta wait a few months for the real consensus to come out.

When it comes to nintendo stuff just ignore the reviewers. Except Jeff. Hes the only trustworthy one, he stands up to the man.

Except for mario maker. Completely wrong on that one.

Top Bottom